Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retrofit/upgrade [of 2021 model 3 features into older model 3s]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was looking at the new 2021 model 3s and some of the upgrades are nice
Was thinking would love to be able to pay at the sc for the laminated windows upfront and a electric motor assisted trunk at the very least as I was thinking these upgrades are totally doable given how it’s not to complex to do these jobs
Likely hood they will is low but still thought I’d share lol

Would love the heat pump and the others but feel like those are upgrades that are much more complex and time consuming/ money

Double-pane windows will most likely be the easiest to accomplish. Heat pump and trunk lid are more complicated and a Tesla SC will most likely not retrofit a pre-20MY vehicle. Best bet is aftermarket trunk options. (upgraded struts, power kits)

Agree that the windows would be a nice thing (if they actually make a difference to sound and thermal characteristics). Trunk, as mentioned, would probably be prohibitive and heat pump, as I recall, includes several other changes that would likely make it a nightmare job.

Are you referring to buying these parts from the SC? Do they have a "parts department" like traditional dealers? I'm looking to retrofit the non-chrome trim pieces from the '21 to my '20.

Yes they have a parts department....seems to be pretty YMMV on how easily you can actually contact them or how happy they are to order individual parts for customers- I've seen some folks who order bunches of stuff (like the guy who was doing wiring harness mods for people to retrofit the new USB-C/console stuff) without issue... and others where they can't get anyone on the phone, or if they do the parts guys refuse to order anything that doesn't match your VIN (even if the parts catalog lists it as a part not requiring a VIN)

Agree that the windows would be a nice thing (if they actually make a difference to sound and thermal characteristics). Trunk, as mentioned, would probably be prohibitive and heat pump, as I recall, includes several other changes that would likely make it a nightmare job.
I've mentioned it in a couple of threads but I did an overnight test drive with a 2021 Model Y w/ new laminated windows and I did not think it was noticeably quieter than those in my 2018 Model 3. I drove in city traffic as well as highway traffic (including in a tunnel) and it was not very quiet. I did notice a slight decrease in wind noise but that could be due to better build quality than my earlier VIN M3. The road noise and traffic noise didn't sound any different to me.

It's was a bit of a letdown since cabin noise is one of my biggest complaints about my car and was looking forward to possibly doing a retrofit but I don't think it's worth it.

I've mentioned it in a couple of threads but I did an overnight test drive with a 2021 Model Y w/ new laminated windows and I did not think it was noticeably quieter than those in my 2018 Model 3. I drove in city traffic as well as highway traffic (including in a tunnel) and it was not very quiet. I did notice a slight decrease in wind noise but that could be due to better build quality than my earlier VIN M3. The road noise and traffic noise didn't sound any different to me.

It's was a bit of a letdown since cabin noise is one of my biggest complaints about my car and was looking forward to possibly doing a retrofit but I don't think it's worth it.
Bummer.

Zero chance. Heat pump is a 100% no. Rear trunk uses different struts and bolting points, unless you're taking a drill and a saw and reshape your metal quarter of your car.... Don't even try.

oh really, I didn’t know they use different bolting points/ hardware and changed the layout of the trunk that much
Well that sucks..
I know third party’s have offerings but I’d prefer oem
Well I guess just the glass would be nice then

I would think so... it must do something...
Even if it doesn’t do much I’d still like the fact that I’d have laminated glass upfront
If it’s not to expensive..

oh really, I didn’t know they use different bolting points/ hardware and changed the layout of the trunk that much
Well that sucks..
I know third party’s have offerings but I’d prefer oem
Well I guess just the glass would be nice then
I highly doubt the bolt holes are that different... the only additional bolts would be adding to the body(if it doesn’t attached to the hinge bracket) and adding to the trunk(again if it doesn’t attach to the hinge for the new strut and wiring harness. Just wait till others get more in-depth reviews or attempt to do the retro fit.

I highly doubt the bolt holes are that different... the only additional bolts would be adding to the body(if it doesn’t attached to the hinge bracket) and adding to the trunk(again if it doesn’t attach to the hinge for the new strut and wiring harness. Just wait till others get more in-depth reviews or attempt to do the retro fit.

ya for sure will do, definitely interested
I’ll try and see/ compare when we get to see more in depth with the new model 3s