Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retrofit/upgrade [of 2021 model 3 features into older model 3s]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Going over the parts catalog, looks like the trunk lid itself is different for the manual vs powered trunk. Not sure what that actual physical difference will be.
upload_2020-11-18_16-34-34.png

I believe the laminated glass can be ordered and this is the part number.
upload_2020-11-18_16-19-30.png

If you really want to do the OEM black trim retrofit, it won't be cheap since there are tons of parts to be replaced. I still cannot find the side repeater camera (w/ black trim) yet.
upload_2020-11-18_16-21-29.png

upload_2020-11-18_16-22-16.png

upload_2020-11-18_16-23-3.png

upload_2020-11-18_16-27-22.png

upload_2020-11-18_16-28-51.png

upload_2020-11-18_16-29-25.png

Last edited:
Going over the parts catalog, looks like the trunk lid itself is different for the manual vs powered trunk. Not sure what that actual physical difference will be.
View attachment 609695

View attachment 609678

If you really want to do the OEM black trim retrofit, it won't be cheap since there are tons of parts to be replaced. I still cannot find the side repeater camera (w/ black trim) yet.
View attachment 609680
View attachment 609681
View attachment 609682
View attachment 609683
View attachment 609684
View attachment 609686

maybe it has a new part number because the new trunk lid has a button and wiring for the motorized trunk?

i watched some YouTube videos briefly and from what I can tell comparing the two doesn’t look different
The mounting positions for the struts look the same
From the looks of it you would have to drill a hole in the body for the wiring to the left motorized strut
Idk tho I guess in time will reveal more

Reactions: Durzel
View attachment 609695

View attachment 609678

View attachment 609680
View attachment 609681
View attachment 609682
View attachment 609683
View attachment 609684
View attachment 609686
The Service Center is over 3hrs from me, I'll have to look for a parts dept phone number and hope they'll order the laminated windows for me. I wonder if you contacted Safelite, could they order the Tesla laminated windows? It'd be alot more convenient to go to your local Safelite than have to drive over 3hr to get to the parts dept at my SC.

The Service Center is over 3hrs from me, I'll have to look for a parts dept phone number and hope they'll order the laminated windows for me. I wonder if you contacted Safelite, could they order the Tesla laminated windows? It'd be alot more convenient to go to your local Safelite than have to drive over 3hr to get to the parts dept at my SC.
When I ordered the parts for the USB-C retrofit, I scheduled an appointment specifying what are the parts I want. They delivered the parts with mobile service. I never visited the SC. YMMV though.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
The Reddit post said the Service Center quoted him $1,800, and he wasn't sure if that included installation. I don't know who would opt for a full trim replacement over a chrome-delete.
I would. Vinyl never looks as good close up. And it does eventually need replacing. Considering replacing the trim involves replacing two windows completely I’d say 1800 with labor is fair.

The rear window rubber lip is bonded to the glass, so retrofitting it would be awkward.

The laminated glass is (at least according to the EPC) the only difference in the door window hardware between 2021 and earlier cars, so it getting those retrofitted by a SC would involve simply ordering the parts by code rather than by your VIN. They would fit it like they would a normal window replacement.

Powered trunk? Not trivial, but a lot of money in it for Tesla/SCs if they offered it.

Heat pump, etc - no chance.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
The rear window rubber lip is bonded to the glass, so retrofitting it would be awkward.

The laminated glass is (at least according to the EPC) the only difference in the door window hardware between 2021 and earlier cars, so it getting those retrofitted by a SC would involve simply ordering the parts by code rather than by your VIN. They would fit it like they would a normal window replacement.

Powered trunk? Not trivial, but a lot of money in it for Tesla/SCs if they offered it.

Heat pump, etc - no chance.

Right, that’s what I was thinking
Both of those would be a nice upgrade to our existing model 3’s
doable in my opinion
Would love to have automatic trunk done by factory/ service center

There are some aftermarket companies that already have power trunk and frunk kits, even with the foot sensing feature. Not sure what would be involved in a retrofit, but I would imagine you would have to run some cables + drill some mounting holes. The frunk design also changed to accommodate the heat pump and I would imagine there is quite a bit of plumbing changes as well throughout the car.

I'd be surprised to see Tesla come out with a retrofit path, as their primary focus is selling new cars. I recently went through this with Land Rover trying to find a way to get carplay integration, land keep assist, forward collision warning, traffic sign recognition, and adaptive cruise control into a Range Rover. The work involved for a manufacturer to design and support a path to upgrading just doesn't seem worth it for them. However for most of the options, they were available for my model year so it was a matter of purchasing the hardware necessary (forward radar module, mirror with camera, switches) and then reprogramming the ECU to turn on the features. Land Rover refuses to reprogram the ECU, but luckily there is a third party that offers a tool that can do this.

With the Range Rover the features stay enabled unless a dealer does an ECU update (which requires a physical visit). However, with Tesla, updates happen over the air and there have already been documented cases of features being revoked that weren't properly assigned to the vehicle's VIN. I don't see a winning path to trying to get around that.

Yeah you're probably right. It's not as if service centres are short of business.

Would be nice to see an OEM option though. My last car had various upgrade options available, even quite late in its life, including full exhaust and suspension upgrades, and - on topic - electrochromatic mirror retrofits.