TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Retrofit wood grain trim?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Atebit, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Atebit

Atebit Member

#1 Atebit, Aug 27, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
    I have piano black but wishing I had one of the more stylized wood trims. Has anyone priced this out at an SC? I'm sure it's not cheap...

2. SUPRKAR

SUPRKAR Member

It is not too bad about 270.00 last time I checked, this does not include the center armrest piece

3. pgiralt

pgiralt Supporting Member

That can't be right. The option from the factory is $650 for the different wood trims. Did you mean $2700? I imagine the labor for this one is not cheap.

4. Atebit

Atebit Member

Suprkar, did you maybe mean just the labor was about $270? IIRC the labor rate is like $160/hr, so that would be under two hours work. From what I've seen at the SC, the dash pad comes away pretty easily, but I have no idea what's involved to R&R the trim. If it's "stuck" on, would imagine there'd be some heat gun work required that seems like it would take longer. If it's attached with automotive-style clips, maybe not so much if you're not concerned with what happens to the original trim.

In my case I would be ok with leaving the arm rest piano black. I use the elbow rest way more than the awkward cup holders.

I asked the the service manager at the SC this past Friday, she wasn't aware of anyone having this done so she couldn't quote a labor cost. If I could do it for the cost of the parts plus another couple of hundred bucks I might consider it. Chalk it up to tuition for not doing it at ordering time.

5. SUPRKAR

SUPRKAR Member

sorry hit the wrong key...the front dash wood pcs are sold as a kit and cost 650.00 not including the pc. for the armrest. that pc costs 299.

6. markb1

markb1 Active Member

Used to be a free option!