Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retrofiting the Winter Package

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been asking Tesla for a replacement heated steering wheel of a year and a half now. No go.

They started including the steering wheel in late (Dec) 2014 and my car was produced about a week before it was a standard feature in the cold weather package. I'm convinced that just buying a replacement wheel and a minor software update would solve this and surprised as anyone else that Tesla wouldn't offer this. It's one of my most missed features.

I may try to source one out in salvage somewhere...?

I had mine done. If it falls within that vin range and has sub zero you can make it happen.
What's the VIN range? Also you must have the normal sub zero option to get it done? I never have passengers so I don't need rear heated seats, and I can live without the nozzle and windshield heaters, but a heated steering wheel would be nice.

FWIW...I met someone who said his son works at Tesla. Supposedly his son told this man that when he ordered his car, he need not order and pay for the winter package, that he (the son) could just actuate it remotely. Now I have no actual facts here, but it is interesting to consider that Tesla may have purchased all the steering wheels the same for simplicity's sake, and so on. One piece that could be verified -- The wires in the windshield for the wiper heating should be visible so that can easily checked (but I have not tried to). Be harder to check the seats and wring harness.
Or this could be entirely bogus! I have a feeling that if it were possible to actuate such features by an update after the fact, Tesla would advertise that and make some easy money.

I have been trying to figure this out for awhile now. I have an Oct 2014 car. I know you can see the Cold Weather package wiper heater in the windshield if the car is equipped. So it isn't a turn the feature on in software. The next question is can the parts be added (is the wiring present and need to be connected)? I need to replace my windshield due to a rock chip and that would be a good time to put the heated windshield in if the wiring is present.

That being said it is clearly more expensive to do it after the fact because the windshield, spray nozzles, rear seat, and steering wheel would have to be replaced and then have it activated in software.

It would be cheaper than buying a whole new car and since my car came with free charging for life I would rather upgrade the car I have than buy a whole new car for a few new features.

Plus I like upgrading my car, it is fun and someday when I trade up the next person is going to get a pretty awesome car.

I did take my rear seat out to see if I could find the wires for the rear seat heater and I do see a connector that might be it but that could also be for the second charger I am not sure.

So in researching I found this connector unused under my backseat. Anyone with the Cold Weather package know if this is for the seat heaters?

Attachments

• IMG_4586.jpg
    IMG_4586.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 213