Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retrofits and Upgrades that we have done! Any other retrofits you have done or like for us to do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’d like to see an OEM 2021 S/X bumper retrofit...
And yes, unlike the previous nose cone to 2017 OEM bumper upgrade, this would require the fenders upgraded too. The 2021 front is too wide for the original fenders.

On AP2 cars you would need the new fender camera bracket. On AP1 and pre AP cars I doubt the Tesla branded blank would fit. If it were me with a pre AP car I would just weld the fender hole closed, sand it and fill it before painting.

I'm sure there are lots of bigger problems. Just stating some of the obvious ones.

10k not worth it... dang

Maybe consider this:

I asked this same question to 057 In hickory NC. He said it can't be done with MCU2 (which I have done) and would cost about 10k for AP1 retrofit..., for me anyway.
MCU2 isn't a restriction anymore on my end.

And there are many reasons I won't do an AP2 or AP3 retrofit. Not because I don't have the parts or anything. I can technically do it, but it shouldn't be done.

I would not suggest an AP2+ retrofit to anyone, even if it can be made to work, mostly because of the modification that'd be required to the structural B pillar to get the pillar cams installed. It may seem minor, but Tesla went to some effort to carve out this spot on AP2+ cars without compromising the structure and safety (beef up surrounding material and engineered the hole itself to be stable, etc)... no one doing a retrofit is going to accomplish this, not without $20k in body work to properly replace both B pillars.

Sure, someone could take an angle grinder and make a hole for the pillar cams, but now you and your passengers are screwed in a rollover accident because you just removed 1/3rd of the meat holding up the roof.

So just don't do this.

OpenPilot is probably the best option for pre-AP cars, honestly. Doesn't require replacing the windshield and such.

If you have AP1.... well, you have the best AP already, in my opinion. Keep it.

MCU2 isn't a restriction anymore on my end.

And there are many reasons I won't do an AP2 or AP3 retrofit. Not because I don't have the parts or anything. I can technically do it, but it shouldn't be done.

I would not suggest an AP2+ retrofit to anyone, even if it can be made to work, mostly because of the modification that'd be required to the structural B pillar to get the pillar cams installed. It may seem minor, but Tesla went to some effort to carve out this spot on AP2+ cars without compromising the structure and safety (beef up surrounding material and engineered the hole itself to be stable, etc)... no one doing a retrofit is going to accomplish this, not without $20k in body work to properly replace both B pillars.

Sure, someone could take an angle grinder and make a hole for the pillar cams, but now you and your passengers are screwed in a rollover accident because you just removed 1/3rd of the meat holding up the roof.

So just don't do this.

OpenPilot is probably the best option for pre-AP cars, honestly. Doesn't require replacing the windshield and such.

If you have AP1.... well, you have the best AP already, in my opinion. Keep it.
If i buy the open pilot, can you or someone you might know set it up for me? Im in NC

If i buy the open pilot, can you or someone you might know set it up for me? Im in NC
Honestly don't have the availability for it at the moment. It's easy but time consuming. Not hard to follow some of the tutorials and such to get it going. You need some tech savvy for OP overall, so if you're not comfortable installing it you may not want to use it.

@wk057, sans the (justifiable) structural integrity concerns, would an AP1 -> AP3 car be able to get EAP or NoA/FSD capability w/o the mothership's blessing? Similar to how AP0 -> AP1 does not need server side changes.
I am very interested on converting my AP1 to AP3.. you can find the hardware as far as the FSD computer cameras for reasonable prices on eBay. I think the cabling from the camera to the FSD computer would be an issue getting a hold of... And of course reconfiguring the car.. as far as the structural integrity part... I think the car actually rolling over is a one in hundredth chance.. didn't Tesla try to roll over the vehicle and it just could not roll over?
Not saying that you should disregard safety but me personally it wouldn't bother me.

Well, I won't disregard safety, so won't be doing or assisting with such a retrofit despite being capable.

As for rollover risk, I've personally bought at least 4 cars that had rolled... and I guarantee everyone inside would have been dead if the B-pillar had collapsed.

This is not a negligible risk, and there's zero reason to take it. Want an AP2/3 car? Buy one.

---

Edit: Oh, here's a pic of a car that barely survived a rollover. Four people walked away from this crash with moderate injuries.

How do you think things would have been had they removed 1/3rd of the meat of the B-pillar on each side?

I implore everyone, just do NOT do things to your vehicles that can clearly compromise safety.

2016-12-30 09.58.47-1920.jpg

Last edited: