Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retrofits and Upgrades that we have done! Any other retrofits you have done or like for us to do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@wk057 , I have a Tesla Certified Repair center that is willing to take my $$ and replace both b-pillars to factory spec. Would you be willing to talk about AP1 -> 3 then? I am also having them replace my solid roof with the solid glass option (without the cross beam) as well as install the AP2+ windshield. So yeah, I'm basically building a new car with a Signature VIN. Also, after all the hardware and equipment modifications are installed, what is the highest level of ADAS I can expect to be able to configure? FSD, NoA, EAP, AP, etc?

Last edited:
@wk057 , I have a Tesla Certified Repair center that is willing to take my $$ and replace both b-pillars to factory spec. Would you be willing to talk about AP1 -> 3 then? I am also having them replace my solid roof with the solid glass option (without the cross beam) as well as install the AP2+ windshield. So yeah, I'm basically building a new car with a Signature VIN. Also, after all the hardware and equipment modifications are installed, what is the highest level of ADAS I can expect to be able to configure? FSD, NoA, EAP, AP, etc?

There's no way what you want to do is cost effective vs selling and buying. Replacing one B-pillar is literally a 5-figure job, let alone two plus a roof retrofit. That's just insane to me. But hey, it's your money, do what you want.

Regardless, you'll have to disconnect the vehicle from Tesla to be able to do what you want to do these days anyway. Any time an option is changed, their teleforce bot reaches in and resets it back to what their server side says. You will also need to hack the gateway to allow you to change the autopilot options at all in the first place, since for the past couple of years these options have been locked down via cryptographic signatures. At that point you can set whatever you like all the way up to FSD (which does nothing anyway unless you have the beta software, so, no real point). Then every time you want to install an update, the gateway will need re-patching.

To me, it's really a silly project, honestly, and a huge waste of time and money. AP0-AP1 at least required no structural changes. And AP1 is actually useful for trips and such. In my extensive experience, AP2/3 are complete garbage still from a usability standpoint vs AP1 in the areas where you'd actually want functional AP (highway trips).

So... yeah, I dunno. You'd have to really love your car to bother with any of this, because you'd never recoup the value, plus it just adds headaches (connectivity, required hacks, etc).

If you have AP1.... well, you have the best AP already, in my opinion. Keep it.

In my extensive experience, AP2/3 are complete garbage still from a usability standpoint vs AP1 in the areas where you'd actually want functional AP (highway trips).
AP1 is still better at what it is able to do.

While I've never owned an AP2 Model S, I traded in an AP1 P85DL for a 2022 Model 3 Performance (AP3), and TACC on the radar-less 3 is damn near unusable with all the phantom lifting/braking.

On a two-lane 55 MPH (non-divided) highway with a gentle right-hand curve to it, AP1 TACC would maintain the set speed until traffic in my lane required it to gently slow a bit. On the same road, the 3 is panicking all the time, briefly thinking the oncoming traffic is coming right for it, scrubbing off speed constantly before realizing "it's not coming right for us."

It's bad enough to the point where you have to hover your foot over the accelerator to be ready for this, a very unsafe practice - in a real panic-braking situation, you might actually hit the accelerator.

Reactions: wk057
I'd rank AP1 with convenient features (turn signal to change lane) above AP3 with EAP. AP1 is confident, smooth , and never phantom brakes. Can't believe with basic AP on new models you have to disengage. I would hate that. The only thing I miss from the non-existent AP upgrade is sentry/dashcam.

I’m a 2014s85 owner. Three things I would like are the ability to swap my battery pack from a 85 to a 90 or 100. To swap my motor to either a performance, or if somehow possible the Rivian motor for better efficiency? And 3rd to enable the bloody ambient lights I bought and installed. Lol. I have tried to get tesla to enable those lights and they won’t even do it if I offer to pay.

OpenPilot is probably the best option for pre-AP cars, honestly. Doesn't require replacing the windshield and such.

If you have AP1.... well, you have the best AP already, in my opinion. Keep it.
I have OpenPilot setup and it's alright but it's not the same (big unit on windshield, no braking control (just regen), etc.) especially compared to my wife's X with AP1. How much of the $10k is the windshield replacement? With car prices the way they are (especially with Tesla), I'm thinking of getting AP1 retrofitted when my windshield is cracked and I can get insurance to pay out for it.

Reactions: buckets0fun
Retrofits and Upgrades

Hi, we have been working hard with providing retrofits and upgrades for our customers that we would like to share some of the projects we have done. Beside eMMC upgrades we also have done...

-Ap1 retrofit which consist of changing to an iboost braking system, adding parking sensors, new windshield, radar. and much more.
-Full 2019 interior seat upgrade with adjustable headrest, headliner, door panel and dash.
-Upgraded rear camera for better image quality.
-Full exterior upgrade from bumper, hood, headlights and rear bumper.
-Power folding mirrors for older Model S
-Automatic open/close charge port for older Model S.
-Upgraded IC
-TPMS sensors
-Gen 2 door handles
-Center. console
-BBK Upgrade
-eMMC UPGRADE CHIP

Anything else I am missing that you would like us to do?
Cold weather package (heated rear seats and steering wheel at least), updated visors with lighted vanity mirrors (including wiring). Can you retrofit occupancy sensors in rear seats that don't have them?

I have OpenPilot setup and it's alright but it's not the same (big unit on windshield, no braking control (just regen), etc.) especially compared to my wife's X with AP1. How much of the $10k is the windshield replacement? With car prices the way they are (especially with Tesla), I'm thinking of getting AP1 retrofitted when my windshield is cracked and I can get insurance to pay out for it.
This is what I did and it worked out great. Full AP0 -> AP1 conversion is great. As it stands now, AP1 car costs significantly more than an AP0 car + $10k.

Retrofits and Upgrades

Hi, we have been working hard with providing retrofits and upgrades for our customers that we would like to share some of the projects we have done. Beside eMMC upgrades we also have done...

-Ap1 retrofit which consist of changing to an iboost braking system, adding parking sensors, new windshield, radar. and much more.
-Full 2019 interior seat upgrade with adjustable headrest, headliner, door panel and dash.
-Upgraded rear camera for better image quality.
-Full exterior upgrade from bumper, hood, headlights and rear bumper.
-Power folding mirrors for older Model S
-Automatic open/close charge port for older Model S.
-Upgraded IC
-TPMS sensors
-Gen 2 door handles
-Center. console
-BBK Upgrade
-eMMC UPGRADE CHIP

Anything else I am missing that you would like us to do?
Can you retrofit my non 2012 tesla model s to autopilot?