Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retrofits and Upgrades that we have done! Any other retrofits you have done or like for us to do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the record, I did the upgrade myself (I'm an engineer by trade) about a year ago and not through a third party. Based off the circuit diagrams (supplied by Telsa), the car's wiring is, in all electrical aspects, identical to a RWD P85 AP1 car.

I read several anecdotes from people who have successfully paid Tesla to upgrade their vehicles from MCU1 -> MCU2 even with the retrofit AP1 hardware and configuration settings and have those settings retained. So I took a chance and opted for the same customer-paid procedure.

On a sad note, and like what's been happening all over, I went in for the MCU2 upgrade and Tesla turned off autopilot while I was driving (on AP1 with ACC) to the service center. The IC retains all of the AP1 visualizations (lane lines, cars, etc) but 0 ability to engage AP1. The AP setting is now locked to 0 and every attempt to change it is futile. Tesla keeps pushing the AP=0 option.

@wk057, Is there anything 057Sevices can do for me in this situation? I have an outstanding ticket request through your website on it.

Reactions: TheFro
The AP setting is now locked to 0 and every attempt to change it is futile. Tesla keeps pushing the AP=0 option.

It sounds like they sic'ed the Teleforce bot on you. (Which maybe that is a standard part of the MCU2 upgrade, to enable Teleforce to maintain the car options how Tesla shows that they should be.)

@wk057, Is there anything 057Sevices can do for me in this situation? I have an outstanding ticket request through your website on it.

I would hope that @wk057 doesn't help with enabling features Tesla charges for without the person actually paying Tesla for them. (As far as I recall AP1 features weren't included in all cars, you had to actually pay to have them enabled.)

It sounds like they sic'ed the Teleforce bot on you. (Which maybe that is a standard part of the MCU2 upgrade, to enable Teleforce to maintain the car options how Tesla shows that they should be.)
As I said on Twitter, the teleforce bot is pure evil.

1659384178794.png

I would hope that @wk057 doesn't help with enabling features Tesla charges for without the person actually paying Tesla for them. (As far as I recall AP1 features weren't included in all cars, you had to actually pay to have them enabled.)

I won't enable things that Tesla will still allow someone to pay for. I also won't enable supercharging on salvage vehicles, since this is a potential legal nightmare I don't have the time or resources to deal with.

For an AP1 retrofit, I've no issue attempting to help with this, but at the moment I don't have a good permanent defense against the teleforce bot for MCU2 aside from cutting ties with Tesla's network... which has obvious drawbacks. The AP1 retrofit is a fair case, IMO, since the parts used are generally coming from vehicles that did have AP enabled. I'd argue that this should follow the hardware.

My current workaround is a hack that I can apply that prevents modifying options at all (teleforce bot get's told "no", and literally just retries every couple of minutes forever and ever... hopefully making tons of failure log entries on Tesla's side to the point where maybe they'll eventually give up). Unfortunately this is a version-specific hack, updating reverts it, and I don't have a good way to make it persistent currently.

Reactions: SigRed12
As I said on Twitter, the teleforce bot is pure evil.

1659384178794.png
I could see where Teleforce could be a force for good. For example if it used a nexus of ECUs in the car to identify the vehicle and it automatically re-programed items that were replaced to work in the car. (Like if you replace a failed MCU or drive unit, and Teleforce configured things so it would just work.)

I think that could be a big win for right-to-repair.

The AP1 retrofit is a fair case, IMO, since the parts used are generally coming from vehicles that did have AP enabled. I'd argue that this should follow the hardware.
Is that really the case that most people opted to pay for AP1 when it was optional? I didn't think it had that much buy-in.

My current workaround is a hack that I can apply that prevents modifying options at all (teleforce bot get's told "no", and literally just retries every couple of minutes forever and ever... hopefully making tons of failure log entries on Tesla's side to the point where maybe they'll eventually give up). Unfortunately this is a version-specific hack, updating reverts it, and I don't have a good way to make it persistent currently.
@wk057, How best to contact you to look at going down this path?

Last edited:
I could see where Teleforce could be a force for good. For example if it used a nexus of ECUs in the car to identify the vehicle and it automatically re-programed items that were replaced to work in the car. (Like if you replace a failed MCU or drive unit, and Teleforce configured things so it would just work.)

I think that could be a big win for right-to-repair.
I feel like Tesla will fight any serious right to repair stuff pretty hard, although likely not quite publicly.

Is that really the case that most people opted to pay for AP1 when it was optional? I didn't think it had that much buy-in.
Keep in mind it was included with the old "Tech Package" and only broken out really close to the AP2 launch. I've only ever gotten 2 cars that didn't have AP1 enabled. I'd say the take rate was super high with AP1. Not so much for AP2+
@wk057, How best to contact you to look at going down this path?
Not officially offering this non-internally at the moment, and would be an on-site thing once I do since, well, methods are a bit proprietary.

On a sad note, and like what's been happening all over, I went in for the MCU2 upgrade and Tesla turned off autopilot while I was driving (on AP1 with ACC) to the service center. The IC retains all of the AP1 visualizations (lane lines, cars, etc) but 0 ability to engage AP1. The AP setting is now locked to 0 and every attempt to change it is futile. Tesla keeps pushing the AP=0 option.
So your AP1 was working fine and enabled until you contacted Tesla for an MCU2 upgrade? And they locked you out of AP1 before the upgrade even took place? That really sucks.

@Rockwell, Has Tesla turned off AP1 for any of your prior retrofit customers? If so, are you able to get it turned back on for them? Also, it has been 2 years since you started this post, have you been able to upgrade AP1 to AP2+ yet?
Pinging @wk057 as well to find out if any AP1 retrofits performed have been disabled, regardless of MCU version.

I'm okay keeping MCU1 (if that helps) but I will hold off on getting the AP1 retrofit done until there's a 100% firm solution to this.

is it possible to upgrade '13 P85 with no AP etc. to include AP? If so, what is the general cost to do something like this?

edit: I just went to the 057 website and put in the last 6 of my VIN and it would appear that an AP refrofit is not available. May have to reach out to 057 (or others) to confirm.

Last edited:
is it possible to upgrade '13 P85 with no AP etc. to include AP? If so, what is the general cost to do something like this?

edit: I just went to the 057 website and put in the last 6 of my VIN and it would appear that an AP refrofit is not available. May have to reach out to 057 (or others) to confirm.
Yes, this is possible. Cost varies per installer and many just won't do it because of the amount of time involved. There are plenty of forum posts describing what is involved to make it happen. But if you are familiar with wiring diagrams, making wiring changes/connections, Linux shell scripting, and general automotive body repair (to replace exterior panels/parts), you can do this in your garage in a weekend (assuming all parts are gathered and ready to install - that includes new/upgraded wiring harnesses). See my Sig for the mods I have completed on my 2012 Sig S.