Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retrofitting European spec modem for US Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I’ve purchased an imported 2018 US Model 3 with HW2.5 and EAP here in Jordan (P.S: we can only order S&X officially from Tesla Jordan, M3 still not available for ordering) I’ve had the car for nearly a year now and it’s been flawless apart from couple of error messages like the visuals degradation and radar error popping on occasions.
Took the car to Tesla Jordan SC and had a general inspection done to it, the guys there informed me that they still can’t service the M3 as they still don’t support it here and the warranty will be void which doesn’t make any sense to me (the car is a clean title with no accidents whatsoever) I mean wouldn’t the Jordanian spec M3 once they allow the orders use the same HV battery and motors?
3B4C4C2B-9763-438A-AF07-AEDF14271DDA.jpeg

Apart from this I was having troubles with the onboard LTE connection as the frequencies here differ from the US (the car uses a modem specific to the US) and I wasn’t able to activate summon nor being able to wake the car up via the app even though it’s connected to WiFi (the car disconnects from WiFi when parked after an hour and needs the cellular connection to wake it up and start using the WiFi) also I can’t access the upgrade section in the app (acceleration boost,etc) so I bought a European spec modem with a SIM card slot extender that can be seen below compared to the US spec modem:
29565DF9-2E6C-4903-B33B-BCDEE271704B.jpeg
9C7C6B40-6ED3-49D2-AE72-8291A8AD2272.jpeg

i was told that this should work without any problems but I’ve also heard that Tesla could disable AP and other features once they detect that the car isn’t in the US? Would like to hear from you guys and gals, any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Jaafar

uncharted territory. just try it?

not sure why you didnt just buy a model S.

also im a bit surprised jordan uses usa speced cars. surely european cars would make more sense, in particular as you can drive to europe?
If you ordered a long range model S officially from Tesla Jordan it would cost nearly 120K USD with custom fees the M3 I got set me back nearly 60K USD...
Also when you order an S or an X officially from Tesla it’ll be European spec (Type2 inlet, yellow turning signal lights, LTE support for our frequencies)

They already know that the car is not in the US after you have connected it to a wifi. Swapping the modem will make the lte work but in order to wake the car up you will have to send a sms to the sim card that you put in the extender. That is because in Tesla database this car has an e-sim number that the app uses to wake it up. Since you are changing it the connection is lost and therefore this is your option.

About disabling features because the car is not in the US, this will happen only if the car is marked as salvage. They are doing this on model s/x mainly because they have free lifetime supercharging and people were buying totaled ones from copart, fixing them and then using the network for free. One famous youtube channel is richRebuilds. if you car is not marked as salvaged in title check websites you should be good to go .. at lest for now.

• Helpful
Reactions: Z38ER
They already know that the car is not in the US after you have connected it to a wifi. Swapping the modem will make the lte work but in order to wake the car up you will have to send a sms to the sim card that you put in the extender. That is because in Tesla database this car has an e-sim number that the app uses to wake it up. Since you are changing it the connection is lost and therefore this is your option.

About disabling features because the car is not in the US, this will happen only if the car is marked as salvage. They are doing this on model s/x mainly because they have free lifetime supercharging and people were buying totaled ones from copart, fixing them and then using the network for free. One famous youtube channel is richRebuilds. if you car is not marked as salvaged in title check websites you should be good to go .. at lest for now.
Thanks for the reply, I’ll check what you’ve told me in regards to the SIM card once the modem is installed. The M3 is a clean title! Fingers nothing bad happens!