Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retrofitting LED fog lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I could not justify the $4500 Premium package but was wondering about retrofits for the LED fog and turning lights. I plan to add my own internal LED ambient lights as an easy DIY project, but don't have experience with the exterior lights. Do we think that the wiring would be in place to add our own fog lights? How feasible is this plan?

for somebody that did not have fogs and had their model s retrofitted with fog lights for no charge, I have to disagree
the addition of the fog lights and the cornering lights are awesome while driving in the canyons I take to work. the fogs fill in the
areas the headlights miss. I like the addition and glad Tesla took care of me. Just wish the ambient option could have different colors.

I had fogs retrofitted on my car because the car was built without them, but tesla's cpo site claimed they were there. Based on how long it took, I'm pretty sure the wiring must already be there, just needed the physical modules and whatever software tweak turned them on.
I'll agree that the premium interior lighting is weak though, I've added my own trunk and frunk lighting, and an debating adding my own footwell lights too as the "premium"ones kinda suck

Fog lights in the Tesla are actually driving lights they do illuminate the ground. A lot of people are having them for the look too. I ordered them for my S after I saw one coming from behind at night. It does make a very strong presense. In that sense it may have some safety advantages too.

I just signed up for the Fog lights Retrofit, just under $2000 to do here in TX. I decided I really want them after first ordering without. I imagine the price to do such a retrofit on a Model X is about the same. I also installed new LEDs in the trunk where the "Premium" lights are pre-wired (ordered from Online Shop for Tesla Model S Accessories | AbstractOcean.com). I will probably do footwells as well. My friend who has all the bells and whistles on his Model S says he is going to order replacement LEDs too, as my trunk and frunk are now way brighter than his.

So, basically for just over $2000 I will have got all the Premium Lighting package features that I cared about. It's not optimal, but it's some savings and I changed my mind and decided I like the look of the LED light strip on the lower bumper, even though the fogs are reputable for casting a sucky beam.

I emailed BuildMyX when I first rec'd my invite and was told that the Service Centers will not be retrofitting the LED turning lights or fog lights, and the only way to get them is by getting the PUP. I ended up going with the PUP for other reasons too - like ventilated seats (and the added bonus of possibly getting ahead of other 90D's who don't choose the PUP). Initially, I was thinking of going with textile seats, but after careful deliberation I ended up going with Ultra White, and then the PUP wasn't that big a deal. For those who don't require or want the premium seats, the PUP ends up costing $7000!

My Model S fog lights work great in a variety of situations, including inclement weather. Haven't actually had any fog yet, but I am happy I purchased the premium package.

Re your situation, the PUP costing $7k (needing to use non textile synth or leather seats) and requiring air suspension with the 90D keeps me in my S rather than the X. I think the premium package has fantastic features, and wouldn't get a Model X without them.

I emailed BuildMyX when I first rec'd my invite and was told that the Service Centers will not be retrofitting the LED turning lights or fog lights, and the only way to get them is by getting the PUP. I ended up going with the PUP for other reasons too - like ventilated seats (and the added bonus of possibly getting ahead of other 90D's who don't choose the PUP). Initially, I was thinking of going with textile seats, but after careful deliberation I ended up going with Ultra White, and then the PUP wasn't that big a deal. For those who don't require or want the premium seats, the PUP ends up costing $7000!

It could be because of how the lower bumper design changed on the X, that raises the effort and labor-involved, that makes it where SCs aren't going to offer retrofit. In that event, I would probably end up biting the bullet and get PUP. There are too many good features in it. No having the fogs/LED light strip on my S has annoyed me over time, enough to where if I had it to do over again I probably would have just bought the Prem Lighting package on.

I know I am impotently shaking my hands at the Tesla build tool Gods, when I state this complaint -- but if a retrofit for Fogs is just impossible on X, the fogs should be offered a-la carte so people can pick them that way! Most people couldn't care less about fogs and only prefer the vertical LED accent strip.

Last edited:
I also installed new LEDs in the trunk where the "Premium" lights are pre-wired (ordered from Online Shop for Tesla Model S Accessories | AbstractOcean.com). I will probably do footwells as well. My friend who has all the bells and whistles on his Model S says he is going to order replacement LEDs too, as my trunk and frunk are now way brighter than his..

@kaiserpathos -- I ordered an X without the premium package and am interested in retrofitting interior lighting with Abstract Ocean. Question -- does the base model (without the premium ambient LED lighting) have blanks in the footwell and other areas that can be snapped out for retrofitting with AbstractOceans, or are there incandescent bulbs in its place? Also, how would I activate footwell and other ambient lights if I didn't order the premium package?

@kaiserpathos -- I ordered an X without the premium package and am interested in retrofitting interior lighting with Abstract Ocean. Question -- does the base model (without the premium ambient LED lighting) have blanks in the footwell and other areas that can be snapped out for retrofitting with AbstractOceans, or are there incandescent bulbs in its place? Also, how would I activate footwell and other ambient lights if I didn't order the premium package?
There are ambient light tube assemblies in non PUP too. Look closer in the driver handle slot, underneath the armrest and elsewhere. Gotta find a way to get them powered. Even without software based control a hack to have them on all the time is totally worth it.

Wow, just noticed the ones in the doors in my non-PUP 75D! Would definitely be cool to find a way to have them lit up! Anyone try to pry off the door trim to see if they are wired for power, but disconnected?

There are ambient light tube assemblies in non PUP too. Look closer in the driver handle slot, underneath the armrest and elsewhere. Gotta find a way to get them powered. Even without software based control a hack to have them on all the time is totally worth it.