Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Return HomeLink and Go with MyQ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Confused. How does this remove the worry about a 3rd party cloud service going out of business when it still relies on the myQ backend?
I believe the point was that Home Assistant generally can keep things local, but in some cases (like MyQ) it still has to rely on the cloud. Not ideal but you can still bring much into the local environment and not rely on outside services.

I believe the point was that Home Assistant generally can keep things local, but in some cases (like MyQ) it still has to rely on the cloud. Not ideal but you can still bring much into the local environment and not rely on outside services.
I am a big homeassistant user and have integrated my Teslas with it. Plenty of automation things you can do with this limited only by your imagination. For example, in addition to automatically opening and closing the garage door, I have automations that do things like flash the lights and honk the car horn if I walk away with my phone left in the charging cradle. When I park places I go to often, like the grocery store, the system automatically commands the climate control to stay on so the car is comfortable when I return. And, it automatically preconditions the car when I have certain appointments on my calendar taking into account the estimated drive time.

There's obviously a learning curve, but homeassistant has gets more user-friendly all the time, making it approachable with a little effort and very powerful. It's capable of interfacing with many different systems, not just lights and thermostats.

I am a big homeassistant user and have integrated my Teslas with it. Plenty of automation things you can do with this limited only by your imagination. For example, in addition to automatically opening and closing the garage door, I have automations that do things like flash the lights and honk the car horn if I walk away with my phone left in the charging cradle. When I park places I go to often, like the grocery store, the system automatically commands the climate control to stay on so the car is comfortable when I return. And, it automatically preconditions the car when I have certain appointments on my calendar taking into account the estimated drive time.

There's obviously a learning curve, but homeassistant has gets more user-friendly all the time, making it approachable with a little effort and very powerful. It's capable of interfacing with many different systems, not just lights and thermostats.
Are you using cell phone gps for garage door automation? Id rather use the car gps if possible.. I'm with smarthings now but looking to get into home assistant

Are you using cell phone gps for garage door automation? Id rather use the car gps if possible.. I'm with smarthings now but looking to get into home assistant
I use the car location collected by Teslamate software using the Tesla API and sent to home assistant via MQTT. Teslamate is a locally hosted, free version of software like teslafi.

There is also an unofficial Tesla integration for home assistant that gets data directly, but generally, I find that source to lag too much for time-critical data. However, it provides control functions that let you do things like turn on climate control. So, I use both.

Reactions: gt2690b
I use the car location collected by Teslamate software using the Tesla API and sent to home assistant via MQTT. Teslamate is a locally hosted, free version of software like teslafi.

There is also an unofficial Tesla integration for home assistant that gets data directly, but generally, I find that source to lag too much for time-critical data. However, it provides control functions that let you do things like turn on climate control. So, I use both.
Yes im using teslamate and its linked to ABRP right now as well.. the problem is my car loses cell service right about my house and the wifi is not very reliable until im actually in the garage.. i could put my geofence out further but the WAF is low plus having a button is probably not the worst thing in the world

Last edited:
Yes im using teslamate and its linked to ABRP right now as well.. the problem is my car loses cell service right about my house and the wifi is not very reliable until im actually in the garage.. i could put my geofence out further but the WAF is low plus having a button is probably not the worst thing in the world
Not having communication does complicate things. Assuming that you are always heading home when the car reaches the point where you lose communication, you could set a geofence near that spot and activate the garage after a preset delay to allow you to get closer to home before the garage door opens. You can use the vehicle direction to help sense that you are actually heading home, or have a flag that is set only after being away from home for, say, 15 minutes, to preclude activation right after leaving home.

However, if you don't always go home from the spot where you lose comms, you may need to get a bit more creative. Unfortunately, the nav system destination does not appear to be reported, so that cannot be used.

Not having communication does complicate things. Assuming that you are always heading home when the car reaches the point where you lose communication, you could set a geofence near that spot and activate the garage after a preset delay to allow you to get closer to home before the garage door opens. You can use the vehicle direction to help sense that you are actually heading home, or have a flag that is set only after being away from home for, say, 15 minutes, to preclude activation right after leaving home.

However, if you don't always go home from the spot where you lose comms, you may need to get a bit more creative. Unfortunately, the nav system destination does not appear to be reported, so that cannot be used.
i think i could pick a point where i'm basically always coming home ... seems like a pretty serious effort to get it all working especially considering my MyQ app is acting super weird lately... does not know the status of my small door most of the time.. sometimes it does..

what else is cool in home assistant im trying to be sold on it hah

1691616225462.png

i think i could pick a point where i'm basically always coming home ... seems like a pretty serious effort to get it all working especially considering my MyQ app is acting super weird lately... does not know the status of my small door most of the time.. sometimes it does..

what else is cool in home assistant im trying to be sold on it hah

View attachment 963585
Perhaps you have an issue with the position sensor attached to Small Door? Battery is good? Faulty unit?

Perhaps you have an issue with the position sensor attached to Small Door? Battery is good? Faulty unit?
I think my wall control unit is faulty the learn button no longer responds I'll probably just stick with the remote buttons don't feel like replacing it works good enough for now... i will say your method seems even better than the built in MyQ paid service way of doing things.

Last edited:
well i took it apart for a 3rd time and really let the battery die this time.. had to recalibrate the up and downs even but it seems to be working on my app now

now my kids have taken over the Pi4 for retropie though hah.. do u run home assistant on a pi or VM? i feel like the pi has better options for peripherals and can also be located to a better location in my house... can i run home assistant along with Teslamate on the same Pi3? i finally got teslamate working good so im scared to break it