Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Return HomeLink and Go with MyQ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My house came with myQ, garage door openers installed, I don't understand how I can use the app for free on my phone but have to pay for it in the car.
Unless that's about to change, these 4.99 - 9.99 subscriptions are really starting to add up

Chamberlain has been charging a pile of money to to auto makers for their little proprietary box so cars have an easy to use button. Most folks are going to prefer a button to fumbling with their phones every time the arrive or leave home.

No income from automaker hardware sales, gotta get it from somewhere. Just another way to charge for the easy button.

Can I control MyQ via Siri?
If you want the out of the box solution, you need the HomeKit compatible MyQ bridge. I believe it has been discontinued. I have it and it’s only marginally reliable. All my other HomeKit stuff is fine.

I’d probably consider the moross smart door controller if MyQ keeps giving me problems with HomeKit, but that wouldn’t talk to the Tesla.

I'm not interested in a subscription, but would be curious if using the garage control function allows you turn off the annoying 30 second beep that occurs when closing the garage door with MyQ. Aside from the subscription setup, that would be a deal killer for me.

Like @Supcom, I have MyQ integrated into Home Assistant. I haven't considering making any automations that tie to my vehicles arriving/departing, but that might be a better solution than the in car version. Only if I can disable that beeping, though...

Reactions: voom500
I'm not interested in a subscription, but would be curious if using the garage control function allows you turn off the annoying 30 second beep that occurs when closing the garage door with MyQ. Aside from the subscription setup, that would be a deal killer for me.

Like @Supcom, I have MyQ integrated into Home Assistant. I haven't considering making any automations that tie to my vehicles arriving/departing, but that might be a better solution than the in car version. Only if I can disable that beeping, though...
The beep when closing via app is definitely annoying.

Reactions: gt2690b
Yea I get why it’s there. But whether or not it will Happen within the car is a good question. Or it it will happen specifically when using the summon feature since the car will be near or in the garage when performing the action.
It is not the car triggering it but it is the MyQ that is the trigger.
I read elsewhere that it still beeps when you go to close the door from the car.

The beep can likely be tamed w/ hot glue. Doubt anything can be done about about the delay.
My controller beeps and flashes a bright LED for ~8 seconds prior to closing the door. Obviously a safety feature since you can close the door remotely without seeing if anyone is near the door.

Other than modifying the controller, the beep and delay appear to be baked in.

Reactions: brkaus
Yeah, I figured as much. I thought potentially the "MyQ Connected Garage" vehicle implementation might have a different limitation since it's geolocated with the car. I sometimes leave the house well before others are awake. No thanks on waking everyone up with the obnoxious beeping. I'd like to maintain good relations with my family...

Reactions: Ramphex
Yeah, I figured as much. I thought potentially the "MyQ Connected Garage" vehicle implementation might have a different limitation since it's geolocated with the car. I sometimes leave the house well before others are awake. No thanks on waking everyone up with the obnoxious beeping. I'd like to maintain good relations with my family...
It’s not unreasonable to forgo the beeping if the car is actually in or near the garage. Maybe that can be added in the next Holiday release😉

I know the beeping is annoying but I don’t recall it being loud enough to wake up my family in the house. Is yours that loud?

The beeping IS loud. Also returning HomeLink you’re limiting yourself to the proprietary MyQ ecosystem. With HomeLink I’m able to open the gate to my community and other non-MyQ garages.

I think it’s dirty of MyQ to charge for an annual subscription for something they advertise as free, aka “remotely open your garage with a free app as long as you purchase our opener hardware”, and I do not want to support those business practices.

F5A00D42-FEE6-438C-B267-9C338F21FA8E.png

Just because they baked their garbage into another operating system, doesn’t mean it’s all of the sudden worth an annual fee.

It’s not unreasonable to forgo the beeping if the car is actually in or near the garage. Maybe that can be added in the next Holiday release😉

I know the beeping is annoying but I don’t recall it being loud enough to wake up my family in the house. Is yours that loud?
It is not the car triggering it but it is the MyQ that is the trigger.
I read elsewhere that it still beeps when you go to close the door from the car.
I tested MyQ integration and here is what I found out:

1. It will beep upon closing the door when it does not detect the presence of the car in garage or in the vicinity of the garage, likely based on GPS location of the car (and not by internet/cellular connection as I previously thought).

2. The opener unit beeped when closing because "Set Garage Location" was not set.

3. The opener did NOT beep when I set the garage location, both when "Auto-close when leaving" and when manually closing once inside the garage.

4. The closing or opening sequence cannot be aborted using MyQ, once started. You can interrupt closing/opening with HomeLink.

5. Poor internet connection causes delay/lag in action.

6. There was a conflict (with potential for problem) when Auto-open/close is set on both HomeLink and MyQ.
MyQ fired Auto-Open at 100 feet; then HomeLink fired auto-open at 70 feet - cancelling the action.

7. One MyQ subscription can be enabled on multiple cars. I was able to on 3 Tesla.

1. It will beep upon closing the door when it does not detect the presence of the car in garage or in the vicinity of the garage, likely based on GPS location of the car (and not by internet/cellular connection as I previously thought).

2. The opener unit beeped when closing because "Set Garage Location" was not set.

3. The opener did NOT beep when I set the garage location, both when "Auto-close when leaving" and when manually closing once inside the garage.

4. The closing or opening sequence cannot be aborted using MyQ, once started. You can interrupt closing/opening with HomeLink.

6. There was a conflict (with potential for problem) when Auto-open/close is set on both HomeLink and MyQ.
MyQ fired Auto-Open at 100 feet; then HomeLink fired auto-open at 70 feet - cancelling the action.

7. One MyQ subscription can be enabled on multiple cars. I was able to on 3 Tesla.
Fantastic summary, thanks.

Curious to know whether set garage location switches from the internet based MyQ to HomeLink based on the car location, or if it actually uses some different MyQ code to not beep while opening/closing. Can someone without HomeLink confirm this?