Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Return HomeLink and Go with MyQ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I considered the T2C solution but due to the problems I read about in the US in particular and the need for a SIM drove me toward the Telsa-Android solution. Good to hear its SIM-free now but I wonder how available this version is to all.
Looks like they released the SIM-free update for more users if not all today. At least a colleague of mine reported seeing that. One thing I should mention is the Bluetooth shared network is noticeably slow, which TeslaAndroid author also confirmed. I don't know how that would impact Tesla native services like music, navigation, myQ, etc. But if you do these things within CarPlay itself then you should be fine.

I finally got a 2GB rpi4b and put TeslaAndroid on it. But I don't want to spend more to get the carlinkit U2W dongle so I won't be able to compare the performances. I plan to keep the pi for accessing Android apps only and rely on T2C for CarPlay.

Last edited:
Looks like they released the SIM-free update for more users if not all today. At least a colleague of mine reported seeing that. One thing I should mention is the Bluetooth shared network is noticeably slow, which TeslaAndroid author also confirmed. I don't know how that would impact Tesla native services like music, navigation, myQ, etc. But if you do these things within CarPlay itself then you should be fine.

I finally got a 2GB rpi4b and put TeslaAndroid on it. But I don't want to spend more to get the carlinkit U2W dongle so I won't be able to compare the performances. I plan to keep the pi for accessing Android apps only and rely on T2C for CarPlay.

I just received my 4GB rpi today. Isn’t it the CPC200-CCPA dongle you need, not the carlinkit U2W?

Getting my car back today from being tinted and stealth wrapped. Had the car a total of 30 mins last week as I drove it directly to the shop so I’m super excited to play around with it. I was thinking even if I do activate the 30 day trial before teslavision is released I can always just pay 45$ for the year. It’s still more cost effective than the 350$ in hardware investment needed for HomeLink. This is all contingent upon me getting holiday update. I Read on these forums that new cars tend to have a delay in receiving updates. Hopefully that’s not the case for me but I’ll have my hands full playing around with other features so I guess I can hurry up and wait alittle longer.

Having it available to more than 1 Tesla is what sold me to the myQ since Im already using it on my phone. My wifes Y already got the update and myQ works great. Now waiting for my 3 to update so I can test both cars under 1 myQ account.

Having it available to more than 1 Tesla is what sold me to the myQ since Im already using it on my phone. My wifes Y already got the update and myQ works great. Now waiting for my 3 to update so I can test both cars under 1 myQ account.
I almost bought for that reason, but then found out older model S is not supported. I guess it requires a horizontal screen that matches the aspect ratio of my garage door.

• Funny
Reactions: JBT66 and ohmman
Super excited for the MyQ integration. I am a HomeAssistant/Teslamate user but being able to see the status of my doors on the car screen will make it worth it.

Looks like somehow the car is bypassing the beeping and flashing warning when autoclosing? If so that is great news.
I got the Holiday Update today and setup MyQ for the free 30 day trial. I do not have Homelink, so I was using a remote control on the visor. My initial impression is that I'm very happy with how MyQ works. It is not like closing from the phone app where it beeps and flashes lights and there is delay before the door actually closes. As soon as I back out to the end of my driveway, there is a chime in the car and the garage immediately closes without the beeps and flashing lights. When I return home and pull into the driveway, there is the chime again and the door immediately opens. When I am in my garage or near my house, there is a manual button that appears at the top of the screen to manually open or close the door. I get the frustration with having to pay a subscription fee, but it is only $3.75 per month. Since I didn't buy the homelink system, over the life of the car, the cost would be about the same. So far, I'm very pleased (as long as it continues to work this well).

Reactions: RoBoRaT
Just got the Holiday update and set up MyQ intengration. Took me 1-2 mins to set it up. I set it to auto close on departure and on arrival @ 70ft with auto closing of side mirrors. Also chose to get a chime when door is either opened or closed. I was able to manually open and close without issue. And was also able to auto open and close without issue. I might adjust the distance to 30-40ft becusse the side mirrors are delayed to much on opening/closing but that’s something I can play around with to get the sweet spot. So far so good. I’ll be hammering this integration over the upcoming days to see how consistent the experience is. I’ll keep this thread updated with the results.

Reactions: RoBoRaT
20221213_222849.jpg
Screenshot_20221219_194310_Gallery.jpg

I recently ordered the Homelink Hardware and scheduled a service appointment for next week to be installed in my 2023 Model 3 LR. I also have a MYQ door opening and use the MyQ app quite a bit. Would like some advice on whether I should return the Homelink hardware in favor of MyQ integration. The biggest benefit I see with MyQ is I would think the integration would allow for features like summon to confirm whether the garage door is open or closed preventing potential damage to the car. Any thoughts?

Thanks
John
This is simple math. HomeLink has a one-time fixed cost. MyQ requires a monthly/annual subscription in perpetuity. Even though HL is $350, at $10/mo for MyQ, HL is cheaper after 3yrs.

Chamberlain has been charging a pile of money to to auto makers for their little proprietary box so cars have an easy to use button. Most folks are going to prefer a button to fumbling with their phones every time the arrive or leave home.

No income from automaker hardware sales, gotta get it from somewhere. Just another way to charge for the easy button.

If you want the out of the box solution, you need the HomeKit compatible MyQ bridge. I believe it has been discontinued. I have it and it’s only marginally reliable. All my other HomeKit stuff is fine.

I’d probably consider the moross smart door controller if MyQ keeps giving me problems with HomeKit, but that wouldn’t talk to the Tesla.
You are correct. HomeKit has been discontinued, and now Chamberlain/MyQ garage door openers are no longer compatible with Apple Home. Previously, it was ONLY compatible with Apple Home if you purchased HomeKit separately, which is a rip-off and a scam, because you can open the MyQ app and OPEN/CLOSE your garage door from anywhere in the world all day long—until you wish to automate that task using Apple Home. Now, this subscription for TESLA’s is also a scam. I bought HomeLink for $350 and had TESLA install it. Overpriced? YES—but it works!

Where are you seeing $10 per month for myQ? I see $45 per year and cheaper options if you want to commit to more than a year.

MyQ Tesla Subscriptions
I don’t recall—or perhaps I’m conflating it with another one of the many $9.99 monthly subscriptions—of which there are far too many!
At any rate—literally—HomeLink’s price is locked in the instant you buy it. MyQ could increase their annual subscription price at any time! Assuming MyQ uses internet data via cellular and NOT radio frequency, like HomeLink, then I should think that MyQ is the more reliable solution—price notwithstanding.

Getting my car back today from being tinted and stealth wrapped. Had the car a total of 30 mins last week as I drove it directly to the shop so I’m super excited to play around with it. I was thinking even if I do activate the 30 day trial before teslavision is released I can always just pay 45$ for the year. It’s still more cost effective than the 350$ in hardware investment needed for HomeLink. This is all contingent upon me getting holiday update. I Read on these forums that new cars tend to have a delay in receiving updates. Hopefully that’s not the case for me but I’ll have my hands full playing around with other features so I guess I can hurry up and wait alittle longer.
i am utterly confused about myq subscription fees. apple app store makes no mention that there are fees to use myq app. are these fees therefore going to tesla? or is it possible to use myq without incurring fees? if there really are monthly (or annual) fees, i’ll just stick with the remote that came with my garage door opener.