Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Return HomeLink and Go with MyQ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another reason I prefer HomeLink over MyQ is that HomeLink is not cellular data dependent, while MyQ is. MyQ only works with MyQ-enabled garage door openers. HomeLink works with ALL garage door openers. Eventually, most people will move and may no longer have a MyQ garage door opener, in which case MyQ is obsolete in your TESLA, or you’ll have to purchase a MyQ hardware adapter for your garage door opener. Even if my TESLA gets totaled, chances are that I can remove the HomeLink hardware from my totaled TESLA and install it on my new TESLA—unless the collision has damaged the HomeLink hardware.
AND No subscription fees for Homelink. You buy it once and use it with virtually any opener.

This is a great idea! I’m going to have to try that. Do they also open back up when you leave?
Yes. It is geo-located. You can do this either within the HomeLink/MyQ setting (checkbox to fold mirrors upon arrival) or you can set the mirrors to fold at any location based upon geo-location. My mirrors auto-fold when I approach our community bank of mailboxes, because I can drive close to it to check my mailbox.

MyQ never worked for me. Have no idea why. None of the automation features worked. Tried a reset and nothing.

So, went back to Homelink and it works perfectly. Would have liked to at least tested MyQ for the feature of knowing when the garage is open.

MyQ never worked for me. Have no idea why. None of the automation features worked. Tried a reset and nothing.

So, went back to Homelink and it works perfectly. Would have liked to at least tested MyQ for the feature of knowing when the garage is open.
It is strange that some including myself have had success and others have not. Trying to figure out what the key factor is. Only thing that of can think off is quality of connectivity from the car to MyQ services.

Can you go to Speedtest.net from the Tesla browser and run the test from inside your garage when in drive , and then again outside your garage about 50-100 ft away(in drive) and share the results of both?

Reactions: DBV1
I have been using the myQ interface since I received the Holiday Update about a month ago. Something odd is now happening for the past two weeks compared to the first two weeks of using it. At first, whenever I would back out of my garage and the door would automatically close, it would close immediately without all the beeps and flashing lights and delay like when closing the door using the myQ phone app. It would just chime in the car and the door would immediately close. It worked this way for the first couple weeks.

Last week, however, it started doing the beeps and flashing lights and the delay while automatically closing when I leave. I have not had any Tesla updates since the Holiday update, so I don't know what has changed. I have rebooted the car's computer with the two scroll wheels on the steering wheel, but it still does the beeps and flashes when auto closing. If I am in my garage, in the car, and press the button on the screen to close the door, it immediately closes without all the beeps and flashes. Has anyone else experienced this??

I have been using the myQ interface since I received the Holiday Update about a month ago. Something odd is now happening for the past two weeks compared to the first two weeks of using it. At first, whenever I would back out of my garage and the door would automatically close, it would close immediately without all the beeps and flashing lights and delay like when closing the door using the myQ phone app. It would just chime in the car and the door would immediately close. It worked this way for the first couple weeks.

Last week, however, it started doing the beeps and flashing lights and the delay while automatically closing when I leave. I have not had any Tesla updates since the Holiday update, so I don't know what has changed. I have rebooted the car's computer with the two scroll wheels on the steering wheel, but it still does the beeps and flashes when auto closing. If I am in my garage, in the car, and press the button on the screen to close the door, it immediately closes without all the beeps and flashes. Has anyone else experienced this??
The beeping is the result of inaccurate GPS lock (which is 95% accurate to begin with). It beeps (to warn of the closing) when the system thinks you are not within the "garage location".

MyQ will send RF signal to close the garage in tandem with your car's GPS location BUT if the GPS lock on the car is not within the geofenced location of car vs garage (remember GPS is 95% accurate or worse if you have not moved or without clear view of the GPS satellites, like inside garages), the unit will beep as it closes.

Hint: After parking in your garage overnight before moving the car - go into the car's Service Mode and see how many GPS satellites are locked to your car and again just outside your garage. You'll see how good or bad GPS signal at your location.

Last edited:

The change you’ve been experiencing in the past two weeks sounds
I have the MyQ app on my phone which lets me do it anywhere in the world for free. They want $1/mth to press a button from the car screen. Please I can also just ask Siri to open the garage for free as well.
How do you get Siri to open MyQ? I researched this for Apple Home, and my research showed that Chamberlain (owns MyQ) used to require the purchase of an additional piece of hardware (called HomeKit or something like that) in order to get Siri to open the garage door through Apple Home. Then, Chamberlain discontinued this product (HomeKit), so now there is no longer support for MyQ with Apple Home. In short, opening the garage door can no longer be done with Siri and Apple Home.

The beeping is the result of inaccurate GPS lock (which is 95% accurate to begin with). It beeps (to warn of the closing) when the system thinks you are not within the "garage location".

MyQ will send RF signal to close the garage in tandem with your car's GPS location BUT if the GPS lock on the car is not within the geofenced location of car vs garage (remember GPS is 95% accurate or worse if you have not moved or without clear view of the GPS satellites, like inside garages), the unit will beep as it closes.

Hint: After parking in your garage overnight before moving the car - go into the car's Service Mode and see how many GPS satellites are locked to your car and again just outside your garage. You'll see how good or bad GPS signal at your location.

I have a different theory…

What OP shared has occurred in the past 2wks (the change) sounds like what happens when you press the CLOSE button to close the garage door in the MyQ mobile app. (i.e. The garage door opener light/s start/s blinking and the MyQ garage door opener begins beeping for about 10 seconds before finally closing.)

Has MyQ updated their “TESLA mobile app” such that MyQ now works this way when closing?

To OP: Does the same thing happen when you manually close your garage door using the MyQ “TESLA mobile app”, or is this limited to Auto-close? (i.e. When you manually close your garage door using MyQ, does it still blink and beep?)

The MyQ “TESLA mobile app” and, thus, the TESLA EV itself are NOT equipped with hardware capable of emitting RF—unless the TESLA EV has HomeLink hardware installed, which is NOT required in order for MyQ to work. I happen to have both MyQ and HomeLink. Instead, the MyQ “TESLA mobile app” controls the garage door via the internet just like the MyQ mobile app on your smart phone. (My iPhone is not capable of emitting an RF signal to open my garage door, just like my “old school” garage door remote does.)

If the MyQ “TESLA mobile app” is capable of emitting RF, then why does HomeLink require hardware and why would it not just be a software-only solution?

The MyQ “TESLA mobile app” and, thus, the TESLA EV itself are NOT equipped with hardware capable of emitting RF—unless the TESLA EV has HomeLink hardware installed, which is NOT required in order for MyQ to work. I happen to have both MyQ and HomeLink. Instead, the MyQ “TESLA mobile app” controls the garage door via the internet just like the MyQ mobile app on your smart phone. (My iPhone is not capable of emitting an RF signal to open my garage door, just like my “old school” garage door remote does.)

If the MyQ “TESLA mobile app” is capable of emitting RF, then why does HomeLink require hardware and why would it not just be a software-only solution?
You are correct - MyQ Tesla car integration does not emit RF, I should have not said RF but signal via internet connection.

Still I think that the cue to beep at closing depends on the perceived GPS location of the car. It will beep if the MyQ system does not sense the car within the vicinity of the garage.

You are correct - MyQ Tesla car integration does not emit RF, I should have not said RF but signal via internet connection.

Still I think that the cue to beep at closing depends on the perceived GPS location of the car. It will beep if the MyQ system does not sense the car within the vicinity of the garage.
You may be right about that. I’m not arguing—just pointing out that OP’s description sounds familiar based on my experience with the MyQ iPhone app. Personally, I think MyQ is a superior solution to HomeLink, but I think MyQ is greedy for charging a monthly fee to simply automate what I can do for FREE with the push of a button from the MyQ iPhone app.

Reactions: cmy4x4 and RoBoRaT