Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Return HomeLink and Go with MyQ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You may be right about that. I’m not arguing—just pointing out that OP’s description sounds familiar based on my experience with the MyQ iPhone app. Personally, I think MyQ is a superior solution to HomeLink, but I think MyQ is greedy for charging a monthly fee to simply automate what I can do for FREE with the push of a button from the MyQ iPhone app.
I agree, however I think we cannot overlook Tesla’s participation in this cost structure. They are mostly likely getting a cut of this subscription or they are charging Chamberlain to have exclusive rights to the integration. There is no question in my
mind that they are BOTH making money on this.

I also feel this solution is technically better than Homelink if all you need is the ability to open a garage door using a supported Chamberlain door opener. The main value or benefit is the ability of the solution to know exactly what status the door is in(opened/ closed, opening/closing). This cannot be done with the current implementation of the Homelink solution.

As to the issue being discussed over the past few weeks. I have yet to experience this. It’s been very consistent with opening and closing. The only issue I have experienced is when entering the car after it sitting for a long period of time I have received connectivity errors. It’s happened a few times now and what I have found is this happens when the car comes out of sleep. It doesn’t happen all the time but when it does I just wait 30-60 seconds and eventually connectivity is restored and the error goes away. Other than this issue it’s been rock solid.

I actually saved $125 over the life of the solution by using MyQ integration . I didn’t have to pay $350 up front for homelink and instead will be paying $45 per year for the service over a 5 year period(at most) Since I don’t plan to own the Car for more than 5 years(will Most likely trade in for new).

If I didn’t have a Chamberlain door opener and/or needed to open a gate or a garage door other than one controlled by Chamberlain it would be a different story.

My trial is up this coming weekend.
I'm not going to be keeping it. Too much money for what it does.

Opens the door about 95% of the time when I come home and closes it maybe only 5% of the time when leaving and when it does close I'm too far away to see if it is actually closed. Clicker is much more reliable for closing the door.

• Informative
Reactions: ohmman
Opens the door about 95% of the time when I come home and closes it maybe only 5% of the time when leaving and when it does close I'm too far away to see if it is actually closed. Clicker is much more reliable for closing the door.
I like HomeLink (or clicker) + MyQ notifications enabled on my phone. That way I get the notification on my phone and watch telling me the door has been closed as well as seeing it going down.

I’ve had MyQ for years and have used it only via my phone, not often though (free). I signed up for the trail and love the fact that I can click open from my Tesla screen and use it more often now then I ever did. I don’t park my car in the garage but often pass through the garage with groceries and other things. I’m on the fence paying $45 a year.

I agree, however I think we cannot overlook Tesla’s participation in this cost structure. They are mostly likely getting a cut of this subscription or they are charging Chamberlain to have exclusive rights to the integration. There is no question in my
mind that they are BOTH making money on this.

I also feel this solution is technically better than Homelink if all you need is the ability to open a garage door using a supported Chamberlain door opener. The main value or benefit is the ability of the solution to know exactly what status the door is in(opened/ closed, opening/closing). This cannot be done with the current implementation of the Homelink solution.

As to the issue being discussed over the past few weeks. I have yet to experience this. It’s been very consistent with opening and closing. The only issue I have experienced is when entering the car after it sitting for a long period of time I have received connectivity errors. It’s happened a few times now and what I have found is this happens when the car comes out of sleep. It doesn’t happen all the time but when it does I just wait 30-60 seconds and eventually connectivity is restored and the error goes away. Other than this issue it’s been rock solid.

I actually saved $125 over the life of the solution by using MyQ integration . I didn’t have to pay $350 up front for homelink and instead will be paying $45 per year for the service over a 5 year period(at most) Since I don’t plan to own the Car for more than 5 years(will Most likely trade in for new).

If I didn’t have a Chamberlain door opener and/or needed to open a gate or a garage door other than one controlled by Chamberlain it would be a different story.
You may well be right about that. I wouldn’t put it past Elon to tap MyQ for TESLA’s cut. I just see MyQ (Chamberlain) as greedy because there is no reason they couldn’t allow Apple Home integration with Siri w/o requiring additional hardware. Again, I can open the MyQ iPhone app and press a button but I can’t tell Siri to “Open Garage” unless I’ve purchased Chamberlain’s additional hardware for $85 (that is no longer supported anyway).

Does Apple get a cut of software subscriptions for apps available on Apple’s App Store? I know they do if it bills through the AppleID, but I don’t believe Apple gets a cut if you provide CC details directly to the app provider. In this case, MyQ wants us to enter our CC details directly into our MyQ account login and does NOT bill through our TESLA account—correct??????

To OP: Does the same thing happen when you manually close your garage door using the MyQ “TESLA mobile app”, or is this limited to Auto-close? (i.e. When you manually close your garage door using MyQ, does it still blink and beep?)
When I manually close the garage door using the close button on the Tesla screen, it doesn't blink and beep. It only does the blink and beep when auto closing.

When I manually close the garage door using the close button on the Tesla screen, it doesn't blink and beep. It only does the blink and beep when auto closing.
You definitely do not have HomeLink, you said?
That seems odd. Does it blink and beep while immediately closing, or does it blink and beep for 7-10 seconds before the door begins closing?

You definitely do not have HomeLink, you said?
That seems odd. Does it blink and beep while immediately closing, or does it blink and beep for 7-10 seconds before the door begins closing?
I do not have Homelink. It blinks and beeps for 5-10 seconds then closes. It just started doing this. The first two weeks after the Holiday update, it immediately closed without all the blinking and beeping.

You may well be right about that. I wouldn’t put it past Elon to tap MyQ for TESLA’s cut. I just see MyQ (Chamberlain) as greedy because there is no reason they couldn’t allow Apple Home integration with Siri w/o requiring additional hardware. Again, I can open the MyQ iPhone app and press a button but I can’t tell Siri to “Open Garage” unless I’ve purchased Chamberlain’s additional hardware for $85 (that is no longer supported anyway).

Does Apple get a cut of software subscriptions for apps available on Apple’s App Store? I know they do if it bills through the AppleID, but I don’t believe Apple gets a cut if you provide CC details directly to the app provider. In this case, MyQ wants us to enter our CC details directly into our MyQ account login and does NOT bill through our TESLA account—correct??????
Funny you mention Apple. I was going to reference their model in my subsequent post..Great Minds!! or not so great minds??;)

I think the 1 to many relationship apple has with developers may have something to with how they logistically got their share. In this case it’s a direct relation between Tesla & Chanberlain so I think the way they structure the agreement may not need to include a model like Apples. Regardless, someone is making $$$.

I also am not happy with lack of integration with some of the virtual assistant solutions . I use Amazon services and have over 100 smart switches, thermostats, Ring cams etc…. so the absence of an Alex Skill is huge. Although I was able to recreate the automation I wanted through the use of IFTTT as an intermediary.

Funny you mention Apple. I was going to reference their model in my subsequent post..Great Minds!! or not so great minds??;)

I think the 1 to many relationship apple has with developers may have something to with how they logistically got their share. In this case it’s a direct relation between Tesla & Chanberlain so I think the way they structure the agreement may not need to include a model like Apples. Regardless, someone is making $$$.

I also am not happy with lack of integration with some of the virtual assistant solutions . I use Amazon services and have over 100 smart switches, thermostats, Ring cams etc…. so the absence of an Alex Skill is huge. Although I was able to recreate the automation I wanted through the use of IFTTT as an intermediary.
Whew! Your place is too “smart” for me, bruv! Good on ya…

I can’t bring myself to live with the “always listening” voice commandos. It’s bad enough the NSA/FBI is listening—thank you for proving the “conspiracy theorists” right on that one, Edward Snowden!

Reactions: Joboo7777
I do not have Homelink. It blinks and beeps for 5-10 seconds then closes. It just started doing this. The first two weeks after the Holiday update, it immediately closed without all the blinking and beeping.
That is strikingly similar to how the MyQ mobile app functions. I wonder if MyQ updated their “TESLA mobile app” to mimic this same functionality for “safety/liability” reasons…?????
Personally, I hate how it does this. I don’t mind the blinking and beeping, but I want the solution to act now and not pause for 7-10 seconds before executing my command.

That is strikingly similar to how the MyQ mobile app functions. I wonder if MyQ updated their “TESLA mobile app” to mimic this same functionality for “safety/liability” reasons…?????
Personally, I hate how it does this. I don’t mind the blinking and beeping, but I want the solution to act now and not pause for 7-10 seconds before executing my command.
I just tested mine and I do not get the audible and blinking warning. It opens and closes immediately

Update: Well, for the past three days, it is now closing immediately without the blinks and beeps when closing automatically after I back out of my garage. Not sure why for two weeks it was doing the blinks and beeps.
Thinking this relies on GPS to determine how close you are to the garage. My guess is that if you were to try and close the garage door from a considerable distance from the garage it would initiate the audible and visual alarms? If so then maybe there was something going on with GPS ability to provide a precise location??

Not sure this matters but when I set up my home location the car was inside the garage. I believe the instructions say to be just outside of it?? In my case it has been working flawlessly so maybe that’s the difference.

The only issue I have is a connectivity error when I get in the car for the first time in morning after the car has been asleep. eventually it does go away but sometimes takes upward of 20-30 seconds.

Thinking this relies on GPS to determine how close you are to the garage. My guess is that if you were to try and close the garage door from a considerable distance from the garage it would initiate the audible and visual alarms? If so then maybe there was something going on with GPS ability to provide a precise location??

Not sure this matters but when I set up my home location the car was inside the garage. I believe the instructions say to be just outside of it?? In my case it has been working flawlessly so maybe that’s the difference.

The only issue I have is a connectivity error when I get in the car for the first time in morning after the car has been asleep. eventually it does go away but sometimes takes upward of 20-30 seconds.
TESLA technician told me that (per the internally published article/s on this that covers both HomeLink and MyQ—both of which work the same way, as far as determining vehicle location) both MyQ and HomeLink use geolocation for auto-open on approach, and then auto-close is initialized when using the opposite gear than was used on approach AND the TESLA has traveled >7m from the parked position. (The 7m can be tracked the same way the odometer works and does not require the use of geolocation.) Neither MyQ nor HomeLink use geolocation for auto-close.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: TunaBug and RoBoRaT
TESLA technician told me that (per the internally published article/s on this that covers both HomeLink and MyQ—both of which work the same way, as far as determining vehicle location) both MyQ and HomeLink use geolocation for auto-open on approach, and then auto-close is initialized when using the opposite gear than was used on approach AND the TESLA has traveled >7m from the parked position. (The 7m can be tracked the same way the odometer works and does not require the use of geolocation.) Neither MyQ nor HomeLink use geolocation for auto-close.
I’m wondering if the auto close/Open info is accurate. The only reason I question it is when I approach my house I’m in drive, the garage door starts opening, then I pass my driveway and shift in to reverse and backup in to the driveway and then in to my garage. When I leave I’m in drive and it auto closes >7M. So based on the info provided by the tech it should not close correct?

I’m wondering if the auto close/Open info is accurate. The only reason I question it is when I approach my house I’m in drive, the garage door starts opening, then I pass my driveway and shift in to reverse and backup in to the driveway and then in to my garage. When I leave I’m in drive and it auto closes >7M. So based on the info provided by the tech it should not close correct?
If I understood you correctly, then I would say you are correct. I pull into my garage in D, and then I used to put it in R to back up when I would pull in too far. Consequently, my auto-close was spotty at best and seemed to only work about 40% of the time (and I had no idea why this was happening). That’s when I engaged TESLA service, and the tech advised me of what I shared. Ever since, I have been careful to pull into the garage with my cameras ON, and I always stop at the precise spot w/o needing to back up. I then put the car in PARK and don’t reverse until my next trip, and it has never not worked since! (The TESLA technician told me that HomeLink uses geolocation on arrival but not for departure. Who knows if MyQ is wholly different? 🤷🏻‍♂️ We know MyQ sends data via the internet instead of using RF like HomeLink. I can’t speak to the rest.)

NOTE: I have HomeLink installed and tried the MyQ FREE trial for a day, but turned it OFF and haven’t used it since. (Mostly because HomeLink was working fine, and I didn’t want to pay a monthly fee to MyQ.)

Just got my first Tesla yesterday, pulled into my driveway, and realized I had no way to open my garage door except for the MyQ app on my iPhone. I won't get into how annoyed I am that they want me to pay $45 a year to be able to open my garage or $300 to come install a box. It's the principal more than the money. Instead, I installed LiveKey on my phone, integrated with MyQ and built a geo routine to open and close my garage when I arrive or leave. It also allowed me to create shortcuts so I can use Siri to do the same. "Hey Siri, open the garage door". It's free and works pretty well. Let me know if you want screenshots.

• Informative
Reactions: RoBoRaT
Just got my first Tesla yesterday, pulled into my driveway, and realized I had no way to open my garage door except for the MyQ app on my iPhone. I won't get into how annoyed I am that they want me to pay $45 a year to be able to open my garage or $300 to come install a box. It's the principal more than the money. Instead, I installed LiveKey on my phone, integrated with MyQ and built a geo routine to open and close my garage when I arrive or leave. It also allowed me to create shortcuts so I can use Siri to do the same. "Hey Siri, open the garage door". It's free and works pretty well. Let me know if you want screenshots.
Would love screenshots! Please share.

I’m one such schlep who—amidst all the excitement of becoming a TESLA owner—made the rounds, buying up all these accessories, including the TESLA branded floor mats (which I love—overpriced though they may be) and HomeLink. HomeLink works like a charm, but $350!???? What was I thinking…???

I’m terms of automations with your TESLA, check out the “Tesla Raj” YouTube channel on automating functionalities with your TESLA using RFID sticker tags and the Stats app in conjunction with your iPhone’s native automation app. (e.g. He placed an RFID sticker the size of a quarter on the inside of the tow bolt cover, and his frunk opens when he places his iPhone next to the tow bolt cover. Pretty slick!)

Thanks again for the tip on LiveKey. I just tried it out, and their app is very flimsy. I tried to change my password (in the app) after creating an account, and the LiveKey app crashes every time. I even restarted my iPhone and un/reinstalled the app.

Here is a list of PROS / CONS with HomeLink and MyQ for TESLA…

HomeLink
PROS

- Fixed (1x) upfront purchase cost.
(i.e. Potential “break-even point”.)
- Does not require internet.
(i.e. TESLA Premium Connectivity is not required.)
- Reliable solution.
- Native TESLA solution. (i.e. QA/integration.)
- TESLA support provided.
- Works seamlessly when utilized properly.
(i.e. Once functionality/nuance is properly understood.)
- Can be migrated to other TESLA EV’s.*
(i.e. In case of new TESLA EV purchase or total loss collision.)
* Provided that TESLA HomeLink hardware is not damaged in case of collision.
- Native software integration included FREE.
- RF solution vs. internet-based solution.
(i.e. Possible dis/advantage due to less-than-optimal operating conditions.)
- TESLA may be less likely to discontinue a native (HomeLink) solution than a third-party solution provider/developer.
CONS
- High upfront cost.
- Hardware required.
- Installation (of hardware) required.
- Not easily migrated to other TESLA EV’s.
(i.e. In case of new TESLA EV purchase or total loss collision.)
- RF solution vs. internet-based solution.

MyQ
PROS

- NO/LOW upfront cost.
- NO set up cost.
- NO hardware to (be) install/ed.
- Reliable solution.
- Support provided by MyQ…???? (UNVERIFIED)
- Native software integration included FREE.
- Internet-based solution vs. RF solution.
CONS
- Annual/monthly subscription fee in perpetuity.
- Internet required. (TESLA Premium Connectivity required…????)
(i.e. Will operate less reliably or not at all in poor cellular coverage areas.)
- Internet-based solution vs. RF solution.
- Third-party solution provider/developer may be more likely (than TESLA) to discontinue MyQ support for TESLA EV’s. (i.e. Chamberlain/MyQ discontinued HomeKit Hub hardware and API support.)