Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Return HomeLink and Go with MyQ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
con for homelink
“Opens” door when it is already open

Pro my Q:
Obviously able to use intelligence to keep door open if already open.

My Q app won’t go anywhere anytime soon. They have a gold line in SAS with this product line. I wouldn’t use the example of dropping support for hardware without SAS attached to this solution which is nothing but high margin SAS.

Reactions: THEbuz
I'll never pay to rent a button to open my garage door. I'll stick the opener on the damn sun-visor for free.
I signed up for the free month subscription of myQ. It doesn't work half the time since I have low LTE signal in my area. I am going back to using my garage door opener which works 100% of the time.

I recently ordered the Homelink Hardware and scheduled a service appointment for next week to be installed in my 2023 Model 3 LR. I also have a MYQ door opening and use the MyQ app quite a bit. Would like some advice on whether I should return the Homelink hardware in favor of MyQ integration. The biggest benefit I see with MyQ is I would think the integration would allow for features like summon to confirm whether the garage door is open or closed preventing potential damage to the car. Any thoughts?

Thanks
John
Did you end up returning the Homelink module? I would like to do so - we just bought a Y, and I ordered the Homelink transmitter for it before the car arrived. Then I noticed on the Tesla website that a different module is required for 2023 cars, and of course I had ordered the wrong one. I nearly simultaneously learned that an existing garage door opener can be adapted to work with My Q cheaply and easily, and I like the additional flexibility the system provides: being able to know if the door is open or closed if you're away, not firing if it's already open, not requiring line of site to the door to work, and so on. Homelink has always been a bit spotty on my 3: I sometimes have to touch the screen multiple times after auto open fails to work; if I back into the garage, chances are auto or even manual close isn't going to work unless I turn the car around to be at least parallel to the garage before hitting close; I hate coming home and forgetting to hit cancel if the door is already open, especially if my wife is in the garage, and so on.

So, long story short, I got My Q working on both our Teslas and would like to return the Homelink module, which is still in its unopened shipping box, but there's no link on the order page under my account that allows me to initiate a return, and when I emailed Tesla online shop support, they just sent me the generic instructions for returns, which involves going to your order page and looking for the icon to tap to return the item. If you returned your module, would you please tell me how you went about it?

Thanks!

Did you end up returning the Homelink module? I would like to do so - we just bought a Y, and I ordered the Homelink transmitter for it before the car arrived. Then I noticed on the Tesla website that a different module is required for 2023 cars, and of course I had ordered the wrong one. I nearly simultaneously learned that an existing garage door opener can be adapted to work with My Q cheaply and easily, and I like the additional flexibility the system provides: being able to know if the door is open or closed if you're away, not firing if it's already open, not requiring line of site to the door to work, and so on. Homelink has always been a bit spotty on my 3: I sometimes have to touch the screen multiple times after auto open fails to work; if I back into the garage, chances are auto or even manual close isn't going to work unless I turn the car around to be at least parallel to the garage before hitting close; I hate coming home and forgetting to hit cancel if the door is already open, especially if my wife is in the garage, and so on.

So, long story short, I got My Q working on both our Teslas and would like to return the Homelink module, which is still in its unopened shipping box, but there's no link on the order page under my account that allows me to initiate a return, and when I emailed Tesla online shop support, they just sent me the generic instructions for returns, which involves going to your order page and looking for the icon to tap to return the item. If you returned your module, would you please tell me how you went about it?

Thanks!
Hi, yes I was able to return without issue. I was able to initiate the return within the Tesla app by going to account then order history but I don’t recall specifically what I did once I drilled down within the order. How long ago did you purchase it? Maybe the return window has closed?

Hi, yes I was able to return without issue. I was able to initiate the return within the Tesla app by going to account then order history but I don’t recall specifically what I did once I drilled down within the order. How long ago did you purchase it? Maybe the return window has closed?
Thanks for replying. I only ordered it on Jan 13, and tried to start the return last Friday, so only three weeks had passed at that point. I'd been trying on the website but I'll check the app too. If no luck, maybe I'll run up to the service center and see if they can help me.

Thanks again for replying!

Thanks!
I ordered my 2023 Model Y on 09/20/2022 and took delivery on 11/12/2022. I ordered HomeLink shortly after placing my order for my Model Y and had the TESLA service center install HomeLink w/o issue. How did you verify that you ordered the wrong (outdated) HomeLink?

I ordered my 2023 Model Y on 09/20/2022 and took delivery on 11/12/2022. I ordered HomeLink shortly after placing my order for my Model Y and had the TESLA service center install HomeLink w/o issue. How did you verify that you ordered the wrong (outdated) HomeLink?
Well, it seems I misspoke; there are two versions, one for all Model Ys and Model 3s prior to 2023, and another for the 2023 Model 3. I thought that the 2023 exclusion applied to both Y and 3. So I guess the part I ordered would indeed work on our car, but given our success with My Q, we won't be needing it; thankfully, Tesla finally sent me a return label today, and I'll send it back tomorrow.

Reactions: TechM3 and THEbuz
It never occurred to me that they use the drive direction to determine whether Homelink should auto-open/auto-close. But this explains why I have never had consistent results with auto-close. At my home, I pull into the garage, but I always back up to check how close I am to the very back of the garage with the camera. Sometimes I pull forward afterwards, sometimes I don't. My guess is the times I don't pull forward, Homelink doesn't trigger an auto-close because I went from reverse to reverse.

In my vacation home, I always back in because it's a snowy location. I go from reverse to park and it's always reliably closing the door when I leave. Makes sense.
Doesn’t matter if you back into your garage or pull in forward. As long as you go from that gear to PARK without pulling forward/back using the opposite gear because you pulled in / backed in too far. It is looking for the OPPOSITE gear to be engaged during the next drive AND a MIN of 7m (20ft) of travel before Auto-close engages.

• Helpful
Reactions: ohmman
Doesn’t matter if you back into your garage or pull in forward. As long as you go from that gear to PARK without pulling forward/back using the opposite gear because you pulled in / backed in too far. It is looking for the OPPOSITE gear to be engaged during the next drive AND a MIN of 7m (20ft) of travel before Auto-close engages.

as you approach the house in drive the garage door opens. then put the car in reverse to back into the garage. would it still auto close the garage when driving forward out of the garage next day ?

as you approach the house in drive the garage door opens. then put the car in reverse to back into the garage. would it still auto close the garage when driving forward out of the garage next day ?
I do what you describe and it closes every time. I don’t think this system relies on knowing forward/reverse etc. the system knows if the door is open or closed unlike Homelink.

If you are leaving, As long as the distance you travel away from the house is met(in my case I think it’s 50ft) it will close the door if it’s open.

I do what you describe and it closes every time. I don’t think this system relies on knowing forward/reverse etc. the system knows if the door is open or closed unlike Homelink.

If you are leaving, As long as the distance you travel away from the house is met(in my case I think it’s 50ft) it will close the door if it’s open.
It does analyze what gear you are in when you exit the garage, relative to the gear you were in when you entered the garage. Also, the MIN distance for Auto-close to trigger is 7m (20ft). This is a fact, per the TESLA technician who procured the article from TESLA’s internal repository for technicians. He said he had never heard of this before until he researched it for my log.

Reactions: evannole
I’ve been using the subscription for the last week, via the free trial. It’s worked very well, it opens and closes as intended with no connectivity issues. I’m debating on which subscription I should go with. Does anyone know if this will transfer if I buy a new Tesla? I will likely upgrade in 2 to 3 years, so I don’t know if I should go with the yearly subscription or the 10 year.

I’ve been using the subscription for the last week, via the free trial. It’s worked very well, it opens and closes as intended with no connectivity issues. I’m debating on which subscription I should go with. Does anyone know if this will transfer if I buy a new Tesla? I will likely upgrade in 2 to 3 years, so I don’t know if I should go with the yearly subscription or the 10 year.
The subscription is not tied directly to a particular car. Once you are ready for a new Tesla just logout of the MQ account from the old Tesla and login from the new.

I ended up going with the 1yr just because I didn’t want to invest more money into the solution until I had used it for a while. I also have had a very positive experience with the solution and will continue using it long term.

I cannot see why it wouldn’t link to your e-mail address and not your EV. (Note that a MyQ login is enabled when setting up MyQ in the TESLA.) However, best to confirm with MyQ.

The subscription is not tied directly to a particular car. Once you are ready for a new Tesla just logout of the MQ account from the old Tesla and login from the new.

I ended up going with the 1yr just because I didn’t want to invest more money into the solution until I had used it for a while. I also have had a very positive experience with the solution and will continue using it long term.
Thanks!

I’m in a smaller house now, would likely move when kids start coming. If I get a new unit will I have tinder subscribe? Or will I be able to use the same account?

If I can use the same account with a new unit at a new house, I’d just do the 10 year sub

Thanks!

I’m in a smaller house now, would likely move when kids start coming. If I get a new unit will I have tinder subscribe? Or will I be able to use the same account?

If I can use the same account with a new unit at a new house, I’d just do the 10 year sub
That’s a great question. I don’t see why you couldn’t use the subscription on a new garage door opener. In fact I don’t think it’s actually tied to the door opener but to the MYQ account so should be ok. You might want to reach out to Chamberlain to confirm.