Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Return of $7500 Federal Tax Credit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not borrowing their own money. The debt is sold via multi year bonds to investors and foreign governments. We need to pay it back, with interest. Usually when buying them back at maturity most often US just issues additional bonds to pay the principle and interest.

You are correct, that the American people are on the hook for these bonds, currently well over $100,000 for each citizen. Undocumented aliens are not liable, only citizens.

Not borrowing their own money. The debt is sold via multi year bonds to investors and foreign governments. We need to pay it back, with interest. Usually when buying them back at maturity most often US just issues additional bonds to pay the principle and interest.

You are correct, that the American people are on the hook for these bonds, currently well over $100,000 for each citizen. Undocumented aliens are not liable, only citizens.

Yes but now the US government is buying most of their own bonds. So, Yes, they are borrowing their own money.

The Fed Now Holds a Record Percentage of US Debt | SchiffGold

Fed Closes Out Wild Year as All Eyes Focus on Bond-Buying Program

• Informative
Reactions: AprilMay
If a Tesla Model Y order is placed on February1st with $100 deposit, then the GREEN Act is signed into law on March 1st and the credit starts for purchases on March 1st, and the car is delivered on April 1st, will the credit apply to that purchase? What will the purchase date be listed on the Tesla final paperwork?
Yes I know that the $7000 credit *should* apply because the car was paid and picked up on April 1st. BUT what if Tesla puts the original order date of February 1st on the paperwork as the purchase date? Then the IRS can deny the credit during audit.
If anyone has purchased in the past year, can you check your paperwork and see what the purchase date is listed as? Order date or delivery date. Thanks!

If a Tesla Model Y order is placed on February1st with $100 deposit, then the GREEN Act is signed into law on March 1st and the credit starts for purchases on March 1st, and the car is delivered on April 1st, will the credit apply to that purchase? What will the purchase date be listed on the Tesla final paperwork?
Yes I know that the $7000 credit *should* apply because the car was paid and picked up on April 1st. BUT what if Tesla puts the original order date of February 1st on the paperwork as the purchase date? Then the IRS can deny the credit during audit.
If anyone has purchased in the past year, can you check your paperwork and see what the purchase date is listed as? Order date or delivery date. Thanks!

Pretty sure delivery date is what counts.
Example: order a model that hasn’t come out yet (like my Model 3 in March 2016), take delivery 3 years later.

If the order date applied, I would’ve had the full tax credit, but the delivery did and I “only” got half of it due to the 200,000 limit being hit in mid-2018.
Not complaining of course, $3750 was better than nothing!

OK but in your Model 3 example, that was a reservation. Nowadays, it's an actual order with $100 order fee, for a car that is currently in production. Quite different.

What about the Plaid (now Plaid+) for which I handed Tesla $1000 in Sept 2020, and which will not be delivered until over a year later? I did get an order agreement confirming my order details.

Just saying, you can order now and not take delivery until months later. Even for models “currently in production”. All that really matters for tax purposes is delivery date. Ever remember when there was a mad rush to take delivery before the end of a quarter or a year?

Folks, a LOT of speculation here, but NOTHING is set in stone until congress passes a bill and it's signed by the President.

Until then, it's all guesses . . . best to keep track of the news, and WRITE YOUR CONGRESSPERSON AND SENATORS to press for approval of a bill you'd like to see (such as anything that stops penalizing a fast mover company like Tesla).

I'll hold off on any deep thoughts until we see where this ends up. It may all be moot point if there the government sets low income (and MSRP?) caps on the bill as well.