TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Return of original seats? ("classic black")

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by CameronB, Jul 22, 2017.

1. CameronB

CameronB Member

Amongst the other interior changes (new color, switch to all synthetic premium/"vegan leather" material) discussed in other threads, I have also noticed that there are two (not including the cloth/base) options for black interior: Black and Classic Black.

In the configurator all of the premium (now synthetic leather) seats look the same as we have seen for a while now. I'm talking about the seat itself.

But selecting "Classic Black" the preview of the seat itself changes - it looks like the original Tesla seat. The one with the horizontal stitching down the center. It looks like they may have brought back the older wider/flatter seat cushion. Can't tell for sure - but it looks like that's the case from the photos.

• Like x 1
  2. CameronB

CameronB Member

3rd Gen/Premium "Black"

IMG_0034.jpg

Newly introduced "Classic Black"

IMG_0033.jpg

Black seats from 2013 Model S

IMG_0035.jpg

• Informative x 2
  3. kev1n

kev1n Member

strangely i find the older seats more comfortable, I had a loaner for a few days with the next gen seats and found the larger bolsters to be uncomfortable

4. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Supreme Premier

You may not be the only one and tesla found the way to do it.

5. CameronB

CameronB Member

Yeah I have definitely heard several people say they also preferred the older seats. So it seems like Tesla has re-introduced those "classic" seats to give those types of people another option.

6. KF94563

KF94563 Member

+100 I had a loaner last week and was surprised at just how uncomfortable the nex-gen seats were in comparison to my car. I could not do a long road trip in those seats.

7. timf

timf Member

I don't think the classic black seats ever went away. They've been there every time I've checked the Design Studio over the past few months as other features have come and gone.

• Like x 1
  8. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

It should be notes that the classic black seats are only available on the 75/75D.

• Informative x 1
  9. lunitiks

lunitiks Memba

[​IMG]

10. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

It may be that Tesla has a supply of the "Classic" seat style that they want to use up, and that choice may disappear in the near future.

I think it would be odd for Tesla to offer 3 different styles of black seats ("Multi-Pattern", "Black", and "Classic Black") on a long term basis considering that they continue to simplify their production process by offering fewer option choices, as recent events have shown.

11. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

They have been there all along (on the 60/75 cars).

12. kev1n

kev1n Member

i wouldnt be surprised if they were around to stay. it seems people are 50/50 on the old/new seats. this option is also an easy swap, probably 4 bolts seats per seat and to unplug 1-2 harnesses. nothing like swapping air suspension/coils or changing the different roofs out.

13. seclinton

seclinton Member

It would help to have some things remain standard for 10 years to support post warranty cars. Think a few generations ahead and maybe designs wouldn't change overnight. Could be supply related too

14. David29

David29 Member

Not meaning to be picky, but I think the term "next gen" actually applied to a type of seat built by Recaro that was offered for a while from late 2014 or early 2015 until the Model X came out. Model X had a new seat design that was somewhat less bolstered than the "next gen" seats. Some time after the Model X debut, as I recall, today's "premium" seat design was also introduced to the Model S. Some people found the next gen seats to be too heavily bolstered and/or too narrow, although others strongly preferred them. My sense is that the current Tesla premium seats are a compromise between the Recaro-style Next Gen seats and the earlier original Model S seats.

At least, that is how I remember it.

15. richrootes

richrootes Member

Not sure if it's an optical illusion, but is there a line denoting a separate head rest on the new seats - like in the X?

16. SMAlset

SMAlset Member

We have the leather premium seats in our car and while the narrower bolstering is sometimes felt, I haven't had a problem with it even after a 4 hour trip. I can see where less bolstering and more flat at the leg area would be desirable for some and the seat design in that respect is more like my Avalon which I do find comfortable. We have a high quality leather reclining chair that has a seam down the middle of the back and honestly I can feel that seam when sitting against it and find it uncomfortable. Always wondered if that center seam with that older seat design is detectable for drivers/passengers. Just know when we were making our design decisions prior to buying I did sit in a car with seats I really thought felt uncomfortable. We ordered the perfed premium leather that was available at the end of 2016 and I love them so know we didn't end up with the other ones.

17. CameronB

CameronB Member

Exactly right, David.

Original seats->NextGen seats->Premium seats

That's why I called them "3rd Generation/Premium seats" in my original caption in this thread. I think a lot of people confuse the NextGen and Premium seats. Most cars wouldn't have 3 completely different seats in about 4 years...so I suspect people are not used to such "seat schizophrenia" :D

• Like x 1
  18. David29

David29 Member

True. I was in a showroom about a month ago and thew Model S on display there did indeed have an adjustable headrest. You adjust it with the same seat control used for the lumbar support, and choose which part you want to adjust using a pop-up menu on the center screen. I don't recall when that change was introduced.