Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Return of original seats? ("classic black")

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Amongst the other interior changes (new color, switch to all synthetic premium/"vegan leather" material) discussed in other threads, I have also noticed that there are two (not including the cloth/base) options for black interior: Black and Classic Black.

In the configurator all of the premium (now synthetic leather) seats look the same as we have seen for a while now. I'm talking about the seat itself.

But selecting "Classic Black" the preview of the seat itself changes - it looks like the original Tesla seat. The one with the horizontal stitching down the center. It looks like they may have brought back the older wider/flatter seat cushion. Can't tell for sure - but it looks like that's the case from the photos.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
3rd Gen/Premium "Black"

IMG_0034.jpg

Newly introduced "Classic Black"

IMG_0033.jpg

Black seats from 2013 Model S

IMG_0035.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Matias and Troy
It should be notes that the classic black seats are only available on the 75/75D.
It may be that Tesla has a supply of the "Classic" seat style that they want to use up, and that choice may disappear in the near future.

I think it would be odd for Tesla to offer 3 different styles of black seats ("Multi-Pattern", "Black", and "Classic Black") on a long term basis considering that they continue to simplify their production process by offering fewer option choices, as recent events have shown.

It may be that Tesla has a supply of the "Classic" seat style that they want to use up, and that choice may disappear in the near future.

I think it would be odd for Tesla to offer 3 different styles of black seats ("Multi-Pattern", "Black", and "Classic Black") on a long term basis considering that they continue to simplify their production process by offering fewer option choices, as recent events have shown.

i wouldnt be surprised if they were around to stay. it seems people are 50/50 on the old/new seats. this option is also an easy swap, probably 4 bolts seats per seat and to unplug 1-2 harnesses. nothing like swapping air suspension/coils or changing the different roofs out.

strangely i find the older seats more comfortable, I had a loaner for a few days with the next gen seats and found the larger bolsters to be uncomfortable

Not meaning to be picky, but I think the term "next gen" actually applied to a type of seat built by Recaro that was offered for a while from late 2014 or early 2015 until the Model X came out. Model X had a new seat design that was somewhat less bolstered than the "next gen" seats. Some time after the Model X debut, as I recall, today's "premium" seat design was also introduced to the Model S. Some people found the next gen seats to be too heavily bolstered and/or too narrow, although others strongly preferred them. My sense is that the current Tesla premium seats are a compromise between the Recaro-style Next Gen seats and the earlier original Model S seats.

At least, that is how I remember it.

We have the leather premium seats in our car and while the narrower bolstering is sometimes felt, I haven't had a problem with it even after a 4 hour trip. I can see where less bolstering and more flat at the leg area would be desirable for some and the seat design in that respect is more like my Avalon which I do find comfortable. We have a high quality leather reclining chair that has a seam down the middle of the back and honestly I can feel that seam when sitting against it and find it uncomfortable. Always wondered if that center seam with that older seat design is detectable for drivers/passengers. Just know when we were making our design decisions prior to buying I did sit in a car with seats I really thought felt uncomfortable. We ordered the perfed premium leather that was available at the end of 2016 and I love them so know we didn't end up with the other ones.

Not meaning to be picky, but I think the term "next gen" actually applied to a type of seat built by Recaro that was offered for a while from late 2014 or early 2015 until the Model X came out. Model X had a new seat design that was somewhat less bolstered than the "next gen" seats. Some time after the Model X debut, as I recall, today's "premium" seat design was also introduced to the Model S. Some people found the next gen seats to be too heavily bolstered and/or too narrow, although others strongly preferred them. My sense is that the current Tesla premium seats are a compromise between the Recaro-style Next Gen seats and the earlier original Model S seats.

At least, that is how I remember it.

Exactly right, David.

Original seats->NextGen seats->Premium seats

That's why I called them "3rd Generation/Premium seats" in my original caption in this thread. I think a lot of people confuse the NextGen and Premium seats. Most cars wouldn't have 3 completely different seats in about 4 years...so I suspect people are not used to such "seat schizophrenia" :D

Reactions: David29
Not sure if it's an optical illusion, but is there a line denoting a separate head rest on the new seats - like in the X?

True. I was in a showroom about a month ago and thew Model S on display there did indeed have an adjustable headrest. You adjust it with the same seat control used for the lumbar support, and choose which part you want to adjust using a pop-up menu on the center screen. I don't recall when that change was introduced.