Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Return of phantom 16 amp charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Updated to 2020.20.12 at the weekend (M3P). First charge at the usual 32 amp setting took double the time and looks like it charged at 16 amp. Charging has been solid at 32 amp for several months and I'd hoped the 16 amp issue had been sorted - but apparently not.

Anyone else still seeing the 16 amp glitch please? Hopefully just a one-off but could be inconvenient for some.

Cheers

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
Happened to me at the weekend after updating to 2020.20.12. I woke up to find it still charging at 16A. I restarted the charge and it was at 30A for about 40 mins then dropped to 16A again.

I've got a Pod Point charger so contacted support. They changed my max charge rate to 30A on their system and asked me to reset the charger (apparently it was set to 16A on their system). I've just done a 1.5 hour top up and it stayed at 30A. I'll see what happens next weekend when I do another overnight charge.

I'm on a 'dumb' Rolec which hasn't really missed a beat other than a couple of earlier 16 amp episodes several months back. I'll see how it goes next time. Gotta love the Tesla journey, just when you think something is sorted, back it comes

Since my 2020.20.12 update a few days back, my car is taking longer to charge! Normally I get a consistent 32A and 27mi/hr out of my 7kW BP Chargemaster charge point.

Last night it took twice as long to charge and now it’s at 17A and 15mi/hr!!!

E37D2387-8AE7-40DC-BC13-659DD227CF08.png

Last edited:
Just had something very similar happen. I've got an ohme charger but I'd set it onto 'full charge' override mode i.e. turned off the smart features as I've just got back from a road trip and want to make certain I've got juice in for tomorrow. Was maxing at 17A. I did a reset (two buttons on the steering wheel together), which didn't seem to make any difference. So I went into the charging menu and manually set the max charging current down to 5A and left it there for a few seconds, then put it up to 32A. Very quickly seemed to go back up to charging at 30 mi/hr and has been ok for over an hour.

charging.jpg

Reactions: mrkwats
It certainly seems like the 2020.20.12 update has broken charging again :mad:

I updated yesterday morning. First charge last night on my TWC from about 33% to 80%.

The charge started fine at 2030, running at 32A. At about 2315 the charge rate shown in TeslaMate just drops to about 16A, and stays there for the rest of the charge. So instead of the charge finishing at 0130, it carried on until 0330.

I’ve raised a Service Request with Tesla.

Tesla really need to get better at their software, it's not OK by any standard in any market to be releasing software that breaks as much as it fixes, its especially important when a car is built around said software, god forbid one days something changes that causes an accident and takes a life.

I'm very tempted to leave my updates on Standard rather than Advanced until Tesla start focusing on the quality of their code.

Had the same issue, first charge after the update was stuck at 16A.
I remotely stopped and restarted the charge, which worked in the past, and this time I noticed some slightly odd behaviour. It was creeping up from one amp to 16 then after a few seconds it would drop back to 0. Did that about three times then hit 17A before going back to 0 and then finally cranked up to 32 and stayed there. it's like it was really carefully testing the load several times.

It certainly seems like the 2020.20.12 update has broken charging again :mad:

I updated yesterday morning. First charge last night on my TWC from about 33% to 80%.

The charge started fine at 2030, running at 32A. At about 2315 the charge rate shown in TeslaMate just drops to about 16A, and stays there for the rest of the charge. So instead of the charge finishing at 0130, it carried on until 0330.

I’ve raised a Service Request with Tesla.
Oh, FFS! Not again!
I only installed the update this morning, and it took them bloody months to get it fixed last time!
****wits!

• Funny
Reactions: davidmc and Roy W.
Getting similar issues. Started off slow, which I think was an issue with my Ohme, so I set it to charge at full speed and not scheduled. The last dip in the graph just before going back up to 32A was me stopping and then restarting the charge from the Tesla app. Pilot charge is 32A.

teslamate_charge_202006171910.jpg

This is my first charge since updating to 2020.20.12. I didn't have the previously reported drop from 32amps on earlier software versions and I suspect this charge is a one-off variation as I have occasionally seen these kind of fluctuations once in a blue moon (we are on a spur a fairly long way out in the country). Anyway, even though there was a drop for a while it clearly wasn't down to 16amps. Fingers crossed for future charging.
chargegraph.jpg

Reactions: Roy W.
Mine charged as normal last night - woke it up with TeslaFi schedule at 00:25 and it kicked in via Zappi 2 at 12:30 at 32A.

Interestingly, it appears that the Zappi was also able to wake up the car yesterday afternoon when surplus PV power was available, and charged for a short period (not a very sunny day). Maybe Tesla has addressed this issue??

As this problem seems quite widespread can I ask anyone who is experiencing it to raise a service request with Tesla. The more people that notify them of an issue the quicker it will be fixed.

It doesn't really matter when you choose, as within a day or two it will be changed to online diagnosis for a software issue.
I'd suggest that you also do a bug report (press voice and say "bug report" followed by the issue) which will place a marker in the log file at the time of the incident. If you get into the habit of doing that on any issues it makes it a lot easier for the remote team to jump to issues.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and ACarneiro