Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Return of phantom 16 amp charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else seen this cure itself?
Last couple of charges of mine seem to be charging full 7kw, ie last night only top up from 80-90% and done it in 45mins, SR+ (usually get just over 50%in my 4 hr window, so on par with that)

See how long it lasts...

Has anyone else seen this cure itself?
Last couple of charges of mine seem to be charging full 7kw, ie last night only top up from 80-90% and done it in 45mins, SR+ (usually get just over 50%in my 4 hr window, so
See how long it lasts...
its never been an always thing, at least for me. Probably depends on your local grid. Personally I am seeing it on less than half of my charge sessions at home. Maybe 3 out of the last 10.

Got the same issue (2020.20.12) dropping to about 17Amps but what I did was after it was dropped to about 17Amps manually adjusted the Amps down to about 10Amps and then back to the full 32Amps. Left the car came back after a couple hours and it was still on 32Amps
This was on a public 7kW charging station from CYC / Chargemaster

jGthPAIsRzycwIm3eu5TtA.jpg

After 2 good full 32A charges mine's gone awry again. Previously it seemed that starting the charge and letting it rise to 32A, then stopping and letting it return to the 01:30 schedule worked, but not last night. See below, up and down like a Yoyo. Fortunately I'm not doing many miles.
Tesla 17 amp3.JPG

I've had this on my first ever charge of a brand new M3LR, collected from Heathrow on Tuesday. Plugged it into a Source London 7kW charger on Thursday night, with charging commencing probably at 7kW and 32A, but then after about 30-40 minutes (and probably at around 9.00pm?) dropping to 4kW and 16/17/18A. I didn't disconnect and reconnect at the time, as we were trying to take advantage of the 4-hr overnight cap and didn't want to restart the window and (not yet having come across this thread) I wasn't sure whether this was an issue with the Source London charger, but now it looks like that will be the solution until the fix is rolled out.

For those who have had luck overcoming this by disconnecting / reconnecting, does it look like a physical disconnect (or a re-start of the charge from the charger end) is required? Or might it suffice to stop and restart charging from the M3 only, e.g. via the app? That would at least mean that the 4-hr overnight cap would not have to be broken...

I've seen a few suggestions in this thread that reducing the charge current in-car and then increasing it again back to 32A might fix the problem. I'll try that next time too.

Reactions: ringi
I've had this on my first ever charge of a brand new M3LR, collected from Heathrow on Tuesday. Plugged it into a Source London 7kW charger on Thursday night, with charging commencing probably at 7kW and 32A, but then after about 30-40 minutes (and probably at around 9.00pm?) dropping to 4kW and 16/17/18A. I didn't disconnect and reconnect at the time, as we were trying to take advantage of the 4-hr overnight cap and didn't want to restart the window and (not yet having come across this thread) I wasn't sure whether this was an issue with the Source London charger, but now it looks like that will be the solution until the fix is rolled out.

For those who have had luck overcoming this by disconnecting / reconnecting, does it look like a physical disconnect (or a re-start of the charge from the charger end) is required? Or might it suffice to stop and restart charging from the M3 only, e.g. via the app? That would at least mean that the 4-hr overnight cap would not have to be broken...

I've seen a few suggestions in this thread that reducing the charge current in-car and then increasing it again back to 32A might fix the problem. I'll try that next time too.
I’ve had success stopping and starting the charge using the app, but often have to do it two or three times before it will ramp up to 32A.

Updated to 2020.20.12 at the weekend (M3P). First charge at the usual 32 amp setting took double the time and looks like it charged at 16 amp. Charging has been solid at 32 amp for several months and I'd hoped the 16 amp issue had been sorted - but apparently not.

Anyone else still seeing the 16 amp glitch please? Hopefully just a one-off but could be inconvenient for some.

Cheers
I am having exactly the same issue. Starts at 30Amp and then drops to 17Amps through the Night. I bring the amps down to 5 and then back up to 30 and works fine but after an hour drops back down again. Started doing this only recently. Have Tesla posted anything?

I am having exactly the same issue. Starts at 30Amp and then drops to 17Amps through the Night. I bring the amps down to 5 and then back up to 30 and works fine but after an hour drops back down again. Started doing this only recently. Have Tesla posted anything?
No. Service Have fessed up to a few people individually. But nothing official we are aware of. Do they even do that?