Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Return of phantom 16 amp charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just had a call from the service centre asking about my charging issues and for dates & times when I started a charge and had the issue. It will be passed on to the technicians to look at the logs. He said they have had a few reports of this so far.

Worth submitting a service request if you have the problem and keep a note of your charging start and end times in case they ring.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Roy W. and davidmc
I've charged a few times since the update only one has so far dropped, never had the problem before. Plenty of users on FB groups also complaining off this, I think this is different to the previous bug which seemed to be more of a remembering the location and default to 16amps, where this starts off at 32amp and drops like it sees an issue.

I’ve never altered the charge setting in the car and despite 2020.20.12 and I’m charging at full whack of available solar (circa 7.1 Kwh)

DE8F30A7-BC1F-4B4E-AE5A-630C1000C209.png

Just had a call from the service centre asking about my charging issues and for dates & times when I started a charge and had the issue. It will be passed on to the technicians to look at the logs. He said they have had a few reports of this so far.

Worth submitting a service request if you have the problem and keep a note of your charging start and end times in case they ring.
Had a text from Tesla service about it too and tried to explain by reply as best I could!

There we go.
Happened to me last night. It’s interesting that it seems stuck at 17A now, whereas before it was 16.

Anyway, a service request has been submitted and I have an appointment for the 8th of July.

Disappointed, one of the big things that differentiates Tesla from the rest is their software and to see this kind of sloppiness makes me worry about the quality of the the coding in their safety-of-life subsystems...

There we go.
Happened to me last night. It’s interesting that it seems stuck at 17A now, whereas before it was 16.

Anyway, a service request has been submitted and I have an appointment for the 8th of July.

Disappointed, one of the big things that differentiates Tesla from the rest is their software and to see this kind of sloppiness makes me worry about the quality of the the coding in their safety-of-life subsystems...
Same here - this is a serious issue tbh.

I plugged in last night and at 32amps it would have finished by the time I was up this morning. But it had cleared dropped to 17amp at some point as when I woke up it still wasn't done and needed another 1.5 hours.

Fortunately I didn't need to go anywhere immediately. But if someone has planned their (regular) journeys on the basis of being able to recharge fully in a certain timeframe this could really interfere quite a bit!

Same here - this is a serious issue tbh.

I plugged in last night and at 32amps it would have finished by the time I was up this morning. But it had cleared dropped to 17amp at some point as when I woke up it still wasn't done and needed another 1.5 hours.

Fortunately I didn't need to go anywhere immediately. But if someone has planned their (regular) journeys on the basis of being able to recharge fully in a certain timeframe this could really interfere quite a bit!
To be fair, I logged a service request around 1am and had a phone call from Tesla Energy this morning at 0830 asking for more details so they can look at the logs.
I suspect this is a widespread problem and it's ringing some sort of corporate alarm bells so maybe it'll be fixed a lot quicker than the previous time...

Reactions: Roy W. and MrBadger
Ok so been keeping an eye on my charging as i don't have teslafii to monitor fully, but know my SR+ usually can charge just over 50% and remain in my 4hr window of octopus, last night charge started at 0:30 at 50%m and didn't get to my preset 90% until 5:26, so just under 5 hours to get 40% charge, clearly not charging at maximum rate, and crept into my 'expensive' rate.

I have had podpoint installed and using regulary at home since collection early November, and it has been fine all the way through, no previous issues like other have reported.

Are you all just logging service request via app, (never needed to sdo this yet) do i select service centre but then they will probably call and cancel/do remotely anyway?

Ok so been keeping an eye on my charging as i don't have teslafii to monitor fully, but know my SR+ usually can charge just over 50% and remain in my 4hr window of octopus, last night charge started at 0:30 at 50%m and didn't get to my preset 90% until 5:26, so just under 5 hours to get 40% charge, clearly not charging at maximum rate, and crept into my 'expensive' rate.

Yes that looks like you were charging at about 4kW average rather than 7+ kW average.

Reactions: Roy W.
I reported the problem last night, together with a screenshot from TeslaMate and got a phone call this morning. The Tesla chap was trying to tell me that it had throttled because it was getting close to my charge target (60%). I told him that I thought it only throttled when at the higher end of charge, so he said he'd talk to a technician and call me back.

He did call me back! I was told that he had spoken to a technician who told him that it was a known problem and would be addressed in the next update.

Following my phone call yesterday from service I just received a text and have answered the questions..

The charging concern appears to possibly be a firmware characteristic, we are investigating this on a few other vehicles and hope to provide an update in due course.

Could you answer the following please?
1. Type of charger used?
2. Is the cable attached to the charger?
3. Does the charger have any smart capabilities of varying the current?

At the moment starting and stopping the charge should reset charging back to the correct current.

Thank you, Tesla Service

Reactions: bhav and mrkwats
I’ve never altered the charge setting in the car and despite 2020.20.12 and I’m charging at full whack of available solar (circa 7.1 Kwh)

View attachment 554781
Well, I talked that up...
Dropped to 4kwh after half an hour for the first time ever.
Unplugged and set back up and carried on happily at 7kwh
Have booked service appointment but expect a phone call to discuss and cancel

• Informative
Reactions: bhav
Maybe we should all start tweeting Elon. After all an electric car that isn’t charging properly is a fundamental issue that needs to be fixed pdq.

Can’t be hard to do a code diff between last release and this one to see what’s been changed that will affect the charging rates. Then fix and new release.

Nobody writes bug free code, so the issue is not about there being a bug, its how you respond to it that matters, ie be open and communicative with your customers and fix as soon as practical / safe / retested.

(Admission: I run a software team!)

• Disagree
Reactions: LEE3
Maybe we should all start tweeting Elon. After all an electric car that isn’t charging properly is a fundamental issue that needs to be fixed pdq.

Can’t be hard to do a code diff between last release and this one to see what’s been changed that will affect the charging rates. Then fix and new release.

Nobody writes bug free code, so the issue is not about there being a bug, its how you respond to it that matters, ie be open and communicative with your customers and fix as soon as practical / safe / retested.

(Admission: I run a software team!)
Mm. The last charging bug took months before it was fixed! o_O