Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Return of phantom 16 amp charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've just seen someone one another thread report that they have had an update to 2020.20.17 which is a new version that only appeared 4 days ago apparently. I don't follow releases that closely ( until they start screwing with my life) but is it normal for a new variant of an old release to come out when so many people are already onto 2020.24.
Presumably it would only be a version of 2020.20 with additional bug fixes over 20.12. Anyone think there is a chance it could be an emergency release with fixes for some of 2020.20.12's worst issues?

Stopping the charge then restarting it often works for me. Others have found unplugging the car and plugging back in works.

Stopping the charge and restarting for me did NOT work with this iteration (it did with the one last year). It was like my car just ignored the instruction (both from the app and via TeslaFi commands). The one thing I discovered worked for me was to lower the charge limit to below what the actual SOC is. This would stop the charge and then moving the limit back to where I wanted it to be would start a new charge at the 32 amp rate.

I've experienced the same issues, dropping from 7kw charge to 4kw (i'm on 2020.20.12 ). I have raised two issues with Pod Point my chagrer supplier who have run remote diagnostic checks and they advise ;- "The charger is set to charge at 30 Amps, the vehicle seems to be the one not drawing more than ~ 17 Amps., and "My colleagues from the Technical team have suggested that the issue is not isolated to Pod Point and it seems to be an issue with the vehicle".

I'll raise a Service request with Tesla and report back what (if any) action they take.

I just did a 27.6 kWh charge after installing 2020.20.17, and it stayed at 7kW the whole time.

Looking back at previous history, it was consistently dropping to 4kW after 30-60 mins.

Might be too early to say, but I really hope this update has fixed the issue.

I just did a 27.6 kWh charge after installing 2020.20.17, and it stayed at 7kW the whole time.

Looking back at previous history, it was consistently dropping to 4kW after 30-60 mins.

Might be too early to say, but I really hope this update has fixed the issue.

It's a funny business ... I've not had any update but the issue appears to have resolved.

Performed too shortish charges after installing 2020.20.17 today and have not experienced any charging issues as yet.

Did experience my first ever phantom breaking issue whilst driving at 6mph in a supermarket car park though which may be a concern.

Reactions: CMc1
Hi,

Just to add to the mix the 16A max charging (but actually only 5A) issue got resolved for me with 2020.20.17.
Plugged in my podpoint charger - at this stage still 16A max and 5A selected and the moment is started charging jumped straight up to 30A and charged flawlessly at its standard 27 miles per hour

Wasn't sure if it did or not. I got 2020.28.1 this morning and have just done a 4 hour charge and it was solid 30A all the way, so looks hopeful!
how bad was it before though for you? I was only having an issue on about 1 in 3 charges on 2020.20.12. I've done 3 decent size charges on 20.17 with no issue. I would be tempted to think it was fixed except other people say it's not so I assume now I have just been lucky for the last 3 days. I guess its possible that they have just tweaked the sensitivity so some people are still affected but less. Only time will tell on that one I guess.

how bad was it before though for you? I was only having an issue on about 1 in 3 charges on 2020.20.12. I've done 3 decent size charges on 20.17 with no issue. I would be tempted to think it was fixed except other people say it's not so I assume now I have just been lucky for the last 3 days. I guess its possible that they have just tweaked the sensitivity so some people are still affected but less. Only time will tell on that one I guess.
Every charge except one went wrong since 2020.20 for me. Latest update is looking hopeful fingers crossed!