Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Return to Power: the 2013 Tesla Model S - Road & Track

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was thinking more of the replacement parts. Each door handle position is already unique. Multiply by 8+ colors and it starts to really add up.

even replacement parts would be painted on order just like any other car company does. but I did not realize that the handles are different back to front! that does complicate by a part or two or three..... :) haven't gotten my S yet............ :-(

Would body colored handles that disappear into the doors be hard to find????? Especially for those of use who do not have the tech package? I don't have my non-tech P85, but I understand my door handles do not auto present. So, my white car with white handles recessed into the white doors might be tough to find in the dark.
Don't imagine you'd have a problem, given that the handles have sufficient space around the handle to highlight where it is.

So as much as I like the idea of handles matching the paint, I'd say no. Tesla already sends body parts to paint together, so that they are assured a perfect match. Rather than pre-painting doors and having a stock, they paint with the car body.

Do they do the same with handles to be assured a perfect match? Presumably they could ... but the likelihood of a door handle failing vs. a door failing is pretty high. So what if the new replacement door handle doesn't match perfectly? And what if 5 years from now certain colors are no longer offered? Chrome handles only? Then you'd need to buy all four new.

Great idea, but execution could be expensive.

Sounds like a great startup opportunity for wrap company that would like to explore the market, may not have a big enough market yet. They could just punch out the wrap in the unique door handle shape and offer it in a kit in the different colors available year to year. I don't think it would be a huge do it yourself application as the face of the handle is pretty much flat. What would you pay for the look, $50.00 for the 4 handles, sounds like a pretty good profit to me.

Chrome . . door . . handles . . necessary to visually balance the large chrome window 'oval' with a mid-belt line of accents. From tail light to headlight you have the two door handles plus that flare on the fender to complete this line. Removing this visual element causes the window oval to lose its footing, to float without basis. And the area below to become too large. Methinks Franz did it right!

Mud season has my S relocated where I can actually see it now from the kitchen window. Elevated front quarter view. A few days of this and I'm spoiled. Now I want a remote EVSE installed so the S can park there permanently.
--