Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Return to Singapore

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
haha...this is indeed old for this part of the earth....i'm late...very late. Nevertheless, better late than never. :D

If you want to dig back 5 years ago to the original trigger point:

Tesla pulls the plug on Singapore

Tides (Transport Technology Innovation and Development Scheme) "is open only to companies and organisations that want to test-bed their electric vehicles. Private car owners are currently not eligible...

"The Mitsubishi i-MiEV is part of the scheme and BT understands it is now on sale for $88,000. Without the scheme, it would have cost about $200,000."

In the past, Singapore punished Tesla by excluding it from any government incentives. Thus, Tesla pulled out of Singapore after only 6 months setting up business there.

Then, recently, Joe brought back a used Tesla and expected the government to forget the past and stop punishing the brand Tesla.

Since then, Singapore and Tesla relations has improved as all new Teslas will skip emissions tests and thus, eligible for government rebates!

Congratulations!

If you want to dig back 5 years ago to the original trigger point:

Tesla pulls the plug on Singapore

Tides (Transport Technology Innovation and Development Scheme) "is open only to companies and organisations that want to test-bed their electric vehicles. Private car owners are currently not eligible...

"The Mitsubishi i-MiEV is part of the scheme and BT understands it is now on sale for $88,000. Without the scheme, it would have cost about $200,000."

In the past, Singapore punished Tesla by excluding it from any government incentives. Thus, Tesla pulled out of Singapore after only 6 months setting up business there.

Then, recently, Joe brought back a used Tesla and expected the government to forget the past and stop punishing the brand Tesla.

Since then, Singapore and Tesla relations has improved as all new Teslas will skip emissions tests and thus, eligible for government rebates!

Congratulations!

It seems Joe will be getting his payment returned and possibly getting a small rebate too:
TESLA UPDATES: Model 3 to get US$22,000 rebate in Singapore

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there an official quote for this?

As of May, 2016, used Tesla is still officially subjected to what Joe had to go through. There's no progress on used Tesla! But, a new Tesla, including Model 3 is confirmed for incentives:

New Tesla 3 could get maximum CEVS rebate of S$30,000: Khaw

"Tesla Motors' newest electric car, the Tesla 3, would be entitled to the maximum rebate of S$30,000 under the current Carbon Emissions Vehicle Scheme (CEVS) if it is assessed to be as energy efficient as a new Tesla S.

Transport Minister Khaw Boon Wan said on Monday (May 9) that the scheme - which incentivises car owners to buy environmentally friendly cars - would apply to the Tesla Model 3, which was launched in the United States on Mar 31."

It seems Joe will be getting his payment returned and possibly getting a small rebate too:
TESLA UPDATES: Model 3 to get US$22,000 rebate in Singapore

I think the article is over-reading what LTA has been promising.

It states on 3/9/2016: "LTA and VeTL will be working with Tesla engineers to look further into this case."

It has not changed its mind about a used EV to be retested in an address to Parliament on 5/9/2016.

I understand that this "retest" is not about testing Joe's car again. It is generically understood that when a car manufacturer offshore produces a car, it got an original Certificate of Conformity (not from Singapore.) Singapore would honor that test results from an original Certificate of Conformity without any additional testing in Singapore as long as that is a brand new car.

However, if it's a used car, it would not honor any results from an original Certificate of Conformity but it would have to "retest" a used car imported to Singapore because as explained in the Parliament address: "The condition of a car - after it is used for a while, depends very much on how well you maintain it and fuel efficiency can vary quite a lot."

• Helpful
Reactions: jbcarioca
Thanks very much for that additional information. That seems far more consistent with the situation as I previously understood it.

I wonder if the Singapore position on manufacturer certification for new vehicles will change as a result of recent European revelations post-VW affair? Have you any insight?

Also it seems their position would be far more amenable to ride-sharing solutions than to single-family-cars. I wonder how they are approaching that question?

The self-driving test going on right now must also be relevant to this issue. Have you any insight on that one?

Thanks very much for that additional information.

You are welcome!

I wonder if the Singapore position on manufacturer certification for new vehicles will change as a result of recent European revelations post-VW affair? Have you any insight?

Singapore seems to have better relations with other brands including VW.

Singapore NEA (National Environment Agency) first denied that there would be any VW cheating in Singapore.

Volkswagen models in emissions scandal not sold in Singapore: NEA

It has now reversed its denial and just implemented what VW has offered to do worldwide such as software fix.

However, if you are an VW owner who wants to return your car, you'll have to fight tooth and nail to get your day in court in Singapore.

Other than that, there is no change in Singapore and existing ICE relationships.

...Also it seems their position would be far more amenable to ride-sharing solutions than to single-family-cars. I wonder how they are approaching that question?...

Public transportation is underutilized worldwide so it's a very good goal for Singapore.

To discourage too many private cars, it penalizes private car ownership heavily.

...The self-driving test going on right now must also be relevant to this issue. Have you any insight on that one?

Self-driving solution as ridesharing is a promising future so it is a good pilot program in Singapore.

As in any self-driving technology anywhere in the world, it still has a long way to go to prove that it is safe at any speed without the judgement and skills of a live human at the control.

Self-Driving Hype Doesn’t Reflect Reality

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jbcarioca
Thanks fir all that good information. Years ago I bought a car in Singapore although I rarely could drive it to my office on Shelton Way. I am certain it is much more difficult now. Probably wise too.

Reactions: Tam
Perhaps something is happening. LinkedIn is showing a bunch of service related job openings in the past 24 hours, for Tesla in Singapore.

020CF667-8D52-49A9-A89B-C2C8823ADDF5.png