Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Returned after 6 days

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can see all of the pictures of the quality issue here: Model Y Fail

Disappointment is all I can say - order MY Aug 23 - 1 day before the cut off for extra supercharge miles for accepting delivery for Q3. Picked up the car Sept 28 (yaya Q3 delivery numbers push them out). Was raining outside wasn't able to see all the issues but noted the ones that where visible with the Sales rep to get repaired. Service appointment is over 2 and a half weeks out.

Upon bringing her home and deeper inspection found so many issues with the car exterior, interior was pretty much flawless. Did a 140 mile round trip the following day and it was raining pretty hard - glad to see there was no water coming in the car with all the gaps ! But what I did find was that the window wiper had a massive gap not wiping off the water... seriously!

Scanning the exterior at home one thing just lead to another and then on the 3rd day washing the car with two bucket method I discovered even more issues with the paint and what was worse was condensation in the tail lights....come on....see pictures. On the 5th day the drivers side window would squeak going down while opening the door and closing, it was catching something. MY owners all I can say is open your doors and see how much flex the doors have its unacceptable. A this point I had enough.

With all these exterior quality issue - it doesn't give me or my wife a peace of mind long term - what else could there be that we aren't seeing? . Reading the horror stories of multiple SC visits for some of the same issues it made the car worse or took multiple SC visits to fix - I didn't want to play this game especially having a 18 month old and number 2 on the way.

I really wished I rejected this last week instead of a full return and got back in line. I still believe in Tesla, loved the ride and the technology but the quality control really needs an entire overhaul.

Returning the car was simple signed a piece of paperwork and one of the sales rep totally understands why I am returning, tells me that there is people returning because of the quality issues that I've experienced. For a 60K car you expect a lot better quality. Will wait for the following year about my 12 month ban of the same trim to possibly order depending on quality.

TLDR; My Tesla Model Y quality was terrible, should of not accepted delivery, returned after 6 days.

• Informative
Reactions: Riguy and Reeler
Why the repost? Also, what would be most helpful is if you can provide the VIN so forum members can be on the look out for this vehicle. This is especially important as vehicles are beginning to "appear out of thin air" for these October deliveries.

Tesla is making over 5,000 vehicles a week at Fremont. Some of them are bound to come with flaws. Good that they allow refusals after inspection.

Most legacy manufacturers will not allow a "cooling off period" or return of a customer car after they drive off the dealership lot.

Cannot buy a new Corvette, drive it for a week of great fun, and get your money back due to paint defects.

Good that they allow refusals after inspection..

Oh really?

You already cant order used MS and MX without seeing pictures.
So you order used 80k car without seeing it in person, without pictures and NO seven days return period.
Are you saying with all current issues they are doing us favor to return brand NEW $60k car?
All other car makers in the world allow you to inspect car before purchase.
Many of them have return period too.

We shouldn`t thank Tesla for 7 days return window, all they need to do is to improve QC.
I dont have time to go to SC to fix issues that shouldn`t be there

It’s worth returning over paint issues - if you can wait.

I’ve been in and out of the SC for paint issues (including a re-paint of a door).

My PPF installer said the repair attempts weren’t done very well and there’s lots of issues with clear coat coverage.

Hopefully alignment gets better too.. every time I go to the SC they attempt to realign things.. I’m OK with the gaps now but apparently the last time they did a door realignment the glass is now rubbing against the car body and there is risk it could break (I haven’t noticed this - something my PPF installer mentioned over the phone).

The onus should not be on the customer to find thes kinds of issues... Tesla should find them before they get to the customer. Failing that the seven day return window is literally the least they could do.

Keep in mind that until this year the return period was just 1 day if you had test driven the car and 7 days if you hadn't test driven it.
It only changed to 7 days for everyone after Elon made a mistake on TV news about the return period so Tesla had to quickly amend their policy to match what the boss mentioned on TV rather then admit he didn't know their return policy.

• Funny
Reactions: MJP.P3D-
You can see all of the pictures of the quality issue here: Model Y Fail

Disappointment is all I can say - order MY Aug 23 - 1 day before the cut off for extra supercharge miles for accepting delivery for Q3. Picked up the car Sept 28 (yaya Q3 delivery numbers push them out). Was raining outside wasn't able to see all the issues but noted the ones that where visible with the Sales rep to get repaired. Service appointment is over 2 and a half weeks out.

Upon bringing her home and deeper inspection found so many issues with the car exterior, interior was pretty much flawless. Did a 140 mile round trip the following day and it was raining pretty hard - glad to see there was no water coming in the car with all the gaps ! But what I did find was that the window wiper had a massive gap not wiping off the water... seriously!

Scanning the exterior at home one thing just lead to another and then on the 3rd day washing the car with two bucket method I discovered even more issues with the paint and what was worse was condensation in the tail lights....come on....see pictures. On the 5th day the drivers side window would squeak going down while opening the door and closing, it was catching something. MY owners all I can say is open your doors and see how much flex the doors have its unacceptable. A this point I had enough.

With all these exterior quality issue - it doesn't give me or my wife a peace of mind long term - what else could there be that we aren't seeing? . Reading the horror stories of multiple SC visits for some of the same issues it made the car worse or took multiple SC visits to fix - I didn't want to play this game especially having a 18 month old and number 2 on the way.

I really wished I rejected this last week instead of a full return and got back in line. I still believe in Tesla, loved the ride and the technology but the quality control really needs an entire overhaul.

Returning the car was simple signed a piece of paperwork and one of the sales rep totally understands why I am returning, tells me that there is people returning because of the quality issues that I've experienced. For a 60K car you expect a lot better quality. Will wait for the following year about my 12 month ban of the same trim to possibly order depending on quality.

TLDR; My Tesla Model Y quality was terrible, should of not accepted delivery, returned after 6 days.

MY white m3 quality sucks to no end as well.

The paint along the two doors have this weird hazy undulation of yellowish-ness that SC said, "...believe it or not, that's within spec!' ROFL He was serious. He said lot of people have complained, but that's within spec! Looks like someone got a hold of baby turd and waxed the car with it.

My trunk practically turns into a dagobah every time it rains...same...many complain, but yoda here can't figure it out. A forum member posted a fix here, that helped.

Body panel align is also wacky...like someone sucked punched a storm trooper.

Material...don't even get me started....plastic, cheap plastic junk all over the place for a car this price....is insane. I doubt this hunk of junk will hold up for another 5-10 years. ...but I gotta believe she's got it where it counts.

The key system is silly...just retarded! a phone and a card ....seriously? the force is not strong with this one.

Then the freakish braking while smoking the highways...Jeez, I thought they fixed it! THEY TOLD ME THEY FIXED IT!

The service...HA! Wha-a-JOKE! Everywhere I go people oogle over this car...then my favorite part comes..I start pointing out the the awesome junky-ness...then you see their face turn...its the funniest reaction to see ever! These are definitely not the tesla's you;re looking for....move along....move along.

...but the tech is awesome though. :)

• Disagree
  • Funny
Reactions: raggedy and jsight
Cannot buy a new Corvette, drive it for a week of great fun, and get your money back due to paint defects.

But, you can look at the new Corvette when its convenient for you and you can test drive it. Plus a reputable dealer isn't even going to put something out there that has obvious issues.

When I picked up my Model 3 a couple years back I found lots of small paint issues. They had a ton of detailers so one of them fixed a few things I found.

I also found a bumper alignment issue, and I almost rejected the car due to do it. After deliberating it over for awhile I decided to keep it, but I was pretty irked.

They should have never had me come down to take delivery.

Tesla needs to stop these obvious issues from ever being seen by customers. I'm not some overly demanding customer. Like I didn't show up with two buckets ready to wash the car, and with a pair of calipers ready to measure panel gaps.

The other difference with a Corvette is they have competition. With the Model Y there just isn't a whole lot of competition. So that's why Tesla continues to annoy customers with such BS as bad paint.

Keep in mind that until this year the return period was just 1 day if you had test driven the car and 7 days if you hadn't test driven it.
It only changed to 7 days for everyone after Elon made a mistake on TV news about the return period so Tesla had to quickly amend their policy to match what the boss mentioned on TV rather then admit he didn't know their return policy.

The whole "if you test drove it" never made sense because Tesla doesn't let you test drive a car you've ordered during the time you pick it up.

In fact I don't believe it applied to test driving the exact car you were getting, but if you did a scheduled test drive of the type of vehicle you were getting.

So I'm glad the policy changed. It makes way more sense how it is now.

Reactions: vickh
Or the fact that the site doesn't let you post external albums from Imgur.
Do you just troll the forums all day?
Get a life or do something productive

Dude, you make multiple posts for whining about the quality of your car. I get it, you do not want it but no need to (1) double post your frustration and (2) be aggressive towards other members of the community. Give back the car and move on.

Reactions: Reborn
Oh really?

You already cant order used MS and MX without seeing pictures.
So you order used 80k car without seeing it in person, without pictures and NO seven days return period.
Are you saying with all current issues they are doing us favor to return brand NEW $60k car?
All other car makers in the world allow you to inspect car before purchase.
Many of them have return period too.

We shouldn`t thank Tesla for 7 days return window, all they need to do is to improve QC.
I dont have time to go to SC to fix issues that shouldn`t be there

I agree that Tesla needs to improve QC/ rattles, paint issues, but it's a supply-side constraint. This policy allows them to up deliveries (their life blood metric) and deals with issues later. I do wonder what kind of hit they're taking on reselling returns

I passed on/refused delivery on a CPO Tesla due to their non-test drive policy

BTW which other carmakers have a return period too? They do allow test drives but I bought my highlander during the infamous acceleration issue (the day before it hit the news) When I went back to the dealer they said SOL.