Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Returned my MY PUP after 2 hours, still happy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(please excuse my typos and grammatical errors!)

It’s been a few days since this all happened, but I wanted to let those that are still looking to purchase a Y or about to take ownership of one, my experience this past Thursday.

I arrived at the Buena Park, CA location for my 1:30pm pick up time for my MY PUP MSM/Black. I didn’t print any checklist or anything because I felt that they were a bit over the top. Some of the things that I’ve seen people comment about just didn’t bother me. Overall, the car was in great shape except for one place, the rear hatch. Paint was good, except in the door/hood/trunk jambs where I saw a lot of dust. Not perfect but it didn't bother me a whole lot since they were not visible unless a door was open.

Regarding the hatch issue, they brought the car back to service and had it for about 15 minutes. My SA told me that they'd need another 1-1.5 hours to work on it and loaned me a MX-P. Boy was this thing fast!

When I returned, I was told that the hatch would be resolved on another service visit as it would require body work. I was OK with that at the time but in hindsight, I probably should've just rejected the car right then and there. Oh well.

With only 5 miles on the car, I continued on with the purchase and went on my way. I immediately could tell that the AC was not working well. As I left the dealer, i could tell that regen was not working as it should. I checked the settings and it was set to 'Normal' and before I knew it, i was on the freeway.

I stepped on the accelerator pretty agressively and it accelerated just fine, but not MY PUP fine. My brothers M3 SR+ felt much quicker. I chalked it up to me just having driven the MX-P and kept driving.

Keeping up with traffic at 70-80 was not a problem while it was flowing. As I got about 10 miles in, traffic started slowing and eventually came to a stop. It was stop and go traffic from here on out. This is when the issues were REALLY apparent. I could not keep up with cars in front of me at all. I was flooring it and my old Prius had more power. All of this happened while I was sweating like crazy because the AC was not working.

I noticed that the regen/power meter (line under the speedometer) was completely dotted on the left side and on the right side, 3/4 of it was dotted, indicating to me that I only had 1/4 of the power available and zero regen ability. For those wondering, I left with 72% battery and when this started happening, I was at about 59%

I immediately called my SA and she was awesome. Asked me a few things. I finally was able to pull off the freeway and she had me check my phone app to make sure Valet or Speed Limit mode was not on. I confirmed that it was not on.

I performed a reboot of the system to see if that would help but yielded no difference. She asked me to drive it back but there was no way I would make it the way it was going. She was able to get a service advisor to help me and he had me try using the key card instead of the phone to eliminate that possibility. I tried that, got back on the road, and couldn't accelerate past 10-15mph. I immediately turned into the next driveway and received a "Vehicle shutting down. PULL OVER SAFELY" message. All of this occurred while on the phone with them still.

They dispatched a tow truck and while waiting, the stereo's rear speaker started cutting out then finally the front. I can't make this stuff up!

In the end, I asked them to keep the car and requested a replacement or a return. No replacement was available so the a return was the only option.

The staff at the Buena Park store was fantastic handling the whole situation. I will be re-ordering another unit once I get my refund from them.

It was an unfortunate experience but handled impeccably. Kudos to that team there.

6FFD8929-5B72-442B-BB27-337619C46A80.jpeg

83EA137E-0842-447B-AD49-7D97E685D451.jpeg
83EA137E-0842-447B-AD49-7D97E685D451.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: kevin1
I applaud you're attitude and ability to keep things in perspective. In someone else's hands, this could have clearly signaled the demise of Tesla, if not all of Western Civilization.
Yep, it’s over!

Dang. Has to be a stupid loose wire or something.
Yeah, not sure. The latest update was that they are working closing with the Engineers in Fremont to resolve.

(please excuse my typos and grammatical errors!)

It’s been a few days since this all happened, but I wanted to let those that are still looking to purchase a Y or about to take ownership of one, my experience this past Thursday.

I arrived at the Buena Park, CA location for my 1:30pm pick up time for my MY PUP MSM/Black. I didn’t print any checklist or anything because I felt that they were a bit over the top. Some of the things that I’ve seen people comment about just didn’t bother me. Overall, the car was in great shape except for one place, the rear hatch. Paint was good, except in the door/hood/trunk jambs where I saw a lot of dust. Not perfect but it didn't bother me a whole lot since they were not visible unless a door was open.

Regarding the hatch issue, they brought the car back to service and had it for about 15 minutes. My SA told me that they'd need another 1-1.5 hours to work on it and loaned me a MX-P. Boy was this thing fast!

When I returned, I was told that the hatch would be resolved on another service visit as it would require body work. I was OK with that at the time but in hindsight, I probably should've just rejected the car right then and there. Oh well.

With only 5 miles on the car, I continued on with the purchase and went on my way. I immediately could tell that the AC was not working well. As I left the dealer, i could tell that regen was not working as it should. I checked the settings and it was set to 'Normal' and before I knew it, i was on the freeway.

I stepped on the accelerator pretty agressively and it accelerated just fine, but not MY PUP fine. My brothers M3 SR+ felt much quicker. I chalked it up to me just having driven the MX-P and kept driving.

Keeping up with traffic at 70-80 was not a problem while it was flowing. As I got about 10 miles in, traffic started slowing and eventually came to a stop. It was stop and go traffic from here on out. This is when the issues were REALLY apparent. I could not keep up with cars in front of me at all. I was flooring it and my old Prius had more power. All of this happened while I was sweating like crazy because the AC was not working.

I noticed that the regen/power meter (line under the speedometer) was completely dotted on the left side and on the right side, 3/4 of it was dotted, indicating to me that I only had 1/4 of the power available and zero regen ability. For those wondering, I left with 72% battery and when this started happening, I was at about 59%

I immediately called my SA and she was awesome. Asked me a few things. I finally was able to pull off the freeway and she had me check my phone app to make sure Valet or Speed Limit mode was not on. I confirmed that it was not on.

I performed a reboot of the system to see if that would help but yielded no difference. She asked me to drive it back but there was no way I would make it the way it was going. She was able to get a service advisor to help me and he had me try using the key card instead of the phone to eliminate that possibility. I tried that, got back on the road, and couldn't accelerate past 10-15mph. I immediately turned into the next driveway and received a "Vehicle shutting down. PULL OVER SAFELY" message. All of this occurred while on the phone with them still.

They dispatched a tow truck and while waiting, the stereo's rear speaker started cutting out then finally the front. I can't make this stuff up!

In the end, I asked them to keep the car and requested a replacement or a return. No replacement was available so the a return was the only option.

The staff at the Buena Park store was fantastic handling the whole situation. I will be re-ordering another unit once I get my refund from them.

It was an unfortunate experience but handled impeccably. Kudos to that team there.

View attachment 557680

View attachment 557684 View attachment 557684
Sorry your delivery went sour.. however, your postive attitude is the highlight here. Not the end of the world and you'll be behind the wheel of another one in no time. Its safe to say that Tesla didn't place you on the "ban list" given your unforeseen and unfortunate circumstances. In the mean time, keep the sun shining...

Reactions: sullys
Did they put in writing that they are waiving the 12-month ban on ordering the same trim when returning a vehicle?
Nope, not in writing and I’m ok with that and I am OK with that. Service and their true empathy shown towards me is really outstanding. And if I can’t get another ordered, then so be it. Won’t be the end of the world. Do I want one? Heck yeah! I want a lot of things but that’s just how it goes. I’m not worried one bit. If need be, I’ll order another under my wife’s name.

Sorry your delivery went sour.. however, your postive attitude is the highlight here. Not the end of the world and you'll be behind the wheel of another one in no time. Its safe to say that Tesla didn't place you on the "ban list" given your unforeseen and unfortunate circumstances. In the mean time, keep the sun shining...
Thanks for the kind words. I think attitude goes a long way in situations like this. Cheers!

Last edited: