Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Returned MY Today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like my Tesla...not perfect but what is? I will be buying others. I just get tired of people complaining of quality issues. Get the problem fixed and enjoy it. No car is perfect. Tired of the whining. Once the minor problems are fixed it will be more reliable than the other cars you have owned.

Really this is a problem? Its a car, it will get many dings in its lifetime, it will have rock chips, it will have door dings.

img_2957-jpg.595447

I suspect the paint quality is more of a California problem than a Tesla one. Id bet mpney that Tesla China and Austin will have much better paint than Fremont. When I bought our 3 I went to Tampa and did a 30 second walk around and drove off. I later noticed a few "gap" issues. Called Tesla and they came to my house and corrected it. Super pleased. With that said, it is obvious that Tesla has not been building vehicles for 100 years, they need to get better. After 1 year and 20k miles, our Tesla has been trouble free. If it stays that way for 100k, I'll only buy Tesla's.

Maybe some people should not have kids if this kind of thing causes grief in ones life. You are not the only person that has kids, learn to handle it and move on. Seriously, look at the big picture. I can imagine the house buying.

"But what I did find was that the window wiper had a massive gap not wiping off the water... seriously!" Wow, OMG a bad wiper blade, quick honey we have to return the car because the wiper blade is deplorable. You knew all of the minor problems that some people were having with the Y, you chose to try it and it's not for you. I get it...again try a Honda or Toyota.

I can see it now...Dr the second kid has less hair at birth than the last one...take it back quickly. Can't wait for the braces for the teeth.

Flame away...sorry, but this all seems very funny and a bit sad. I think he was just venting about his disappointment.

Really this is a problem? Its a car, it will get many dings in its lifetime, it will have rock chips, it will have door dings.

Its his money to part with and the car was not built to his standards. As somewhat of a perfectionist, I totally understand his displeasure with the less than optimal workmanship. That said, you should take a look at my door hinges. Looks like a caveman went at them with a hammer and chisel. I decided it was purely cosmetic and highly unlikely that anyone would ever notice it anyways.

Maybe some people should not have kids if this kind of thing causes grief in ones life. You are not the only person that has kids, learn to handle it and move on. Seriously, look at the big picture. I can imagine the house buying.

"But what I did find was that the window wiper had a massive gap not wiping off the water... seriously!" Wow, OMG a bad wiper blade, quick honey we have to return the car because the wiper blade is deplorable. You knew all of the minor problems that some people were having with the Y, you chose to try it and it's not for you. I get it...again try a Honda or Toyota.

I can see it now...Dr the second kid has less hair at birth than the last one...take it back quickly. Can't wait for the braces for the teeth.

Flame away...sorry, but this all seems very funny and a bit sad. I think he was just venting about his disappointment.
If the leadership at Tesla thought this way the company would have gone bankrupt year one. Thank God they don't.

I like my Tesla...not perfect but what is? I will be buying others. I just get tired of people complaining of quality issues. Get the problem fixed and enjoy it. No car is perfect. Tired of the whining. Once the minor problems are fixed it will be more reliable than the other cars you have owned.

img_2957-jpg.595447
So if you ordered a steak in a restaurant and it came uncooked would you accept it and eat it?

Your new $3000 oled TV is delivered with a crack in the screen.... Acceptable?

You go into hospital for a procedure to have your finger sown back on, and they sow it on facing the wrong way, acceptable?

Disappointment is all I can say - order MY Aug 23 - 1 day before the cut off for extra supercharge miles for accepting delivery for Q3. Picked up the car Sept 28 (yaya Q3 delivery numbers push them out). Was raining outside wasn't able to see all the issues but noted the ones that where visible with the Sales rep to get repaired. Service appointment is over 2 and a half weeks out.

Upon bringing her home and deeper inspection found so many issues with the car exterior, interior was pretty much flawless. Did a 140 mile round trip the following day and it was raining pretty hard - glad to see there was no water coming in the car with all the gaps ! But what I did find was that the window wiper had a massive gap not wiping off the water... seriously!

Scanning the exterior at home one thing just lead to another and then on the 3rd day washing the car with two bucket method I discovered even more issues with the paint and what was worse was condensation in the tail lights....come on....see pictures. On the 5th day the drivers side window would squeak going down while opening the door and closing, it was catching something. MY owners all I can say is open your doors and see how much flex the doors have its unacceptable. A this point I had enough.

With all these exterior quality issue - it doesn't give me or my wife a peace of mind long term - what else could there be that we aren't seeing? . Reading the horror stories of multiple SC visits for some of the same issues it made the car worse or took multiple SC visits to fix - I didn't want to play this game especially having a 18 month old and number 2 on the way.

I really wished I rejected this last week instead of a full return and got back in line. I still believe in Tesla, loved the ride and the technology but the quality control really needs an entire overhaul.

Returning the car was simple signed a piece of paperwork and one of the sales rep totally understands why I am returning, tells me that there is people returning because of the quality issues that I've experienced. For a 60K car you expect a lot better quality. Will wait for the following year about my 12 month ban of the same trim to possibly order depending on quality.

Just curious..since you already returned the Y what was your VIN # on the Y? Always good to post in case they pawn that car off on someone else without taking care of the issues. At least by VIN # someone can gauge when the Y was built.

Reactions: dhrivnak
So if you ordered a steak in a restaurant and it came uncooked would you accept it and eat it?

You go into hospital for a procedure to have your finger sown back on, and they sow it on facing the wrong way, acceptable?

Agree with you. Why accept a 60K car with problems. Just reject it and get a new one. After the 2nd one, if there are still problems, think about switching to a different Tesla or a different brand.

Reactions: DS8819
Tesla is having growing pains, which I know is painfully obvious. They need to crack down on quality assurance if they don't want to hurt their reputation (more, for some) or continue dealing with returns. Seems like it's a worker training issue, perhaps without enough redundancy to check for mistakes and also fix them before a car is sent out.

I'll be curious to see if the Berlin Gigafactory has the same incidence of defects and errors in their finished vehicles.

To a True Brit, those are all very acceptable.

• Funny
Reactions: dhrivnak and DS8819

Well, carefully pondering your questions...

From a British perspective. I do not consider a chip in the paint quite the same as uncooked filet minion or a poor steak and kidney pie; now if the car did not run, maybe the AC was making some horrific noise then I would defiantly not accept the vehicle. God I do love a great steak and kidney pie, you just cant find a good one here in SoCal. That and a fresh pint or a good Bourbon, heaven.

As for the telly, nothing I had seen in the pictures amounted to a cracked screen on a telly. There was not even a cracked window on the car. So if I want to put it into context...let's say the there was a scratch to the stand on the telly and the store had offered to fix it at a later date....would I reject it? Probably not, especially if Arsenal were plying Manchester that evening.

As for the hospital visit...You Sir, have a very vivid imagination. Not sure if I should be happy for your wife or scared for her. I suppose it would make it hard to chew ones finger nail. I might have nightmares after thinking about this. So would that be nail toward palm or finger bending away from the palm (upside down?) I will Google it.

Don't get your knickers in a twist mate. I sincerely hope that you get a car to your liking and that it runs for a long time.

PS Don't send the kid back, you will grow to love it (most of the time). I did see the attached picture the other day and laughed.
Laugh.jpg

Well, carefully pondering your questions...

From a British perspective. I do not consider a chip in the paint quite the same as uncooked filet minion or a poor steak and kidney pie; now if the car did not run, maybe the AC was making some horrific noise then I would defiantly not accept the vehicle. God I do love a great steak and kidney pie, you just cant find a good one here in SoCal. That and a fresh pint or a good Bourbon, heaven.

As for the telly, nothing I had seen in the pictures amounted to a cracked screen on a telly. There was not even a cracked window on the car. So if I want to put it into context...let's say the there was a scratch to the stand on the telly and the store had offered to fix it at a later date....would I reject it? Probably not, especially if Arsenal were plying Manchester that evening.

As for the hospital visit...You Sir, have a very vivid imagination. Not sure if I should be happy for your wife or scared for her. I suppose it would make it hard to chew ones finger nail. I might have nightmares after thinking about this. So would that be nail toward palm or finger bending away from the palm (upside down?) I will Google it.

Don't get your knickers in a twist mate. I sincerely hope that you get a car to your liking and that it runs for a long time.

PS Don't send the kid back, you will grow to love it (most of the time). I did see the attached picture the other day and laughed.
View attachment 596295
great british humor!

I wish everyone good luck with their Tesla , hope they will improve their beautiful cars and service in all segments in future, we just decided to gave up on our MY order and purchased new 2020 CR-V Hybrid.
I took my wife (she already knows about Tesla problems reading owner stories on FB) to Tesla show room 2 days ago and there was an family with children arguing with sales person about their purchase and expired registration. On our way out other guy was arguing about his new car being in service for some time.
That was enough for us to say no to Tesla at this time.
Hope this issues will be resolved in next 2 years

I took my wife (she already knows about Tesla problems reading owner stories on FB) to Tesla show room 2 days ago and there was an family with children arguing with sales person about their purchase and expired registration. On our way out other guy was arguing about his new car being in service for some time.

That's "in spec" customer service right there!

That was enough for us to say no to Tesla at this time.

You have managed to dodge the bullet there! Others were no so lucky.

we just decided to gave up on our MY order and purchased new 2020 CR-V Hybrid.
That is a good vehicle, my cousin has one and loves it. He quite rightly says it is "the best of all world's" as it is essentially an EV 90% of the time for his daily local runarounds and has the reassurance of the petrol engine for his infrequent road trips without the charging tedium.

He has not had an ounce of trouble since purchase and no doubt will have the reliability that Toyota is synonymous with.

Hope this issues will be resolved in next 2 years

So do I ....but many of these issues were evident at launch 3 years ago, but they couldn't be bothered rectifying them so I wouldn't hold your breath.

There will be many alternative EV's worthy of consideration to choose from by then..... and plenty of cheap pre-owned Teslas' if you were still interested in owning one.