Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Returned within 7 days

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone returned their vehicle within the 7 day time window? Found a few minor fit and finish (paint chip, panel alignment) issues but when I speak to others, they think it's a big deal. Took it to a detail shop for PPF and tint today and they pointed out more issues. I don't think there is anything there that can't be fixed although they weren't all pointed out when I picked up the car. The kicker today was the back hatch window. The guys said it looked like it was replaced and you can see it's totally misaligned (0 mm gap vs 4 mm gap) and the scratches are all covered up with touch up paint on one side and the other has black sealant in the gaps. The detail shop said I should ask Tesla to replace the whole back hatch. The concern is future cracking. I've sent an email to the local Tesla service center but my 7 days is coming up this week.

Attachments

• 20200622_173816.jpg
    20200622_173816.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 228
  • 20200622_171316.jpg
    20200622_171316.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 197
  • Helpful
Reactions: Electric Steve
I have returned a new car within the 7 day window, so as a last resort you could always do that. I'm in California, not sure if it's different in Oregon. On Day 5 I called the Sales Center and told them I would be returning it that day. They asked for an hour or so to print out the paperwork, and I came into their sales center after work. Met up with my sales associate, he had me sign 3 pieces of paper that would reverse the entire purchase transaction, and I went home. He said that it could take up to a month for the refund to come back to my account (the refund being equal to everything I had paid to that point; the deposit, and the balance I had paid upon delivery). And sure enough, a month later, the entire amount I had paid to that point for the car was redeposited to my account.

a new order is different than having them find you another vehicle to satisfy the existing order, right? or does that only happen if you refuse delivery?

You can only get matched to a different vehicle if you refuse delivery. Once you have accepted delivery that is your vehicle and your only option is to keep it or return it. (Part of that is because most banks will not allow you to switch the VIN on a loan, so to switch to a different car would require paying off your loan and getting a new one. Not to mention all of the DMV paperwork.)

• Informative
Reactions: Picasso and lnsh
Update: today was my 7th day to return the car. After going to the SC yesterday and speaking with a service person, they offered to remove the back window, repaint the back hatch and replace with new glass. I said that did not go well with me. Followed up with a salesperson and he said I could return and reorder the same car but i may need to wait 2 to 3 months, basically start over. I chose that option and returned the car today. No buyers remorse or regret. I may wait a bit longer to hopefully see quality improve before reordering. I did see a few MYs that seemed to have the charger door gap addressed and not as many panel gap issues. So sad that we spend this kind of money on an amazing car but have to spend more time performing quality inspections for Tesla. Not the stress or anxiety that I would have expected with a new car purchase.

I reordered my Model Y on July 1, same color (white) and trim (LR) but added a trailer hitch and it was ready for pickup this past Saturday. That was very a very quick turnaround. Also got my refund without the order fee in about 30 days. The new VIN was in 30000 range and the fit/finish and quality issues are so much better. There were a few issues they fixed onsite (scuff on bumper, door alignment). I do have two outstanding issues though (rear hatch won't fully close unless a window or door is open, I think it's a pressure issue) and my steering wheel seems off center a bit, very noticeable when driving on the highway. Otherwise all is good. Saved $3k and was able to use a referral code in the process.

Btw, I also noticed they changed the logo on the door opening button. It's more intuitive now than a dash.

Yeah that's atrocious quality, I would have returned it as well. There's no reason to have a brand new car that's already had serious body/paintwork just to be acceptable. If they want to sell those cars that's fine but it should be at a pretty steep discount with disclosures.

Reactions: BlindPass
I reordered my Model Y on July 1, same color (white) and trim (LR) but added a trailer hitch and it was ready for pickup this past Saturday. That was very a very quick turnaround. Also got my refund without the order fee in about 30 days. The new VIN was in 30000 range and the fit/finish and quality issues are so much better. There were a few issues they fixed onsite (scuff on bumper, door alignment). I do have two outstanding issues though (rear hatch won't fully close unless a window or door is open, I think it's a pressure issue) and my steering wheel seems off center a bit, very noticeable when driving on the highway. Otherwise all is good. Saved $3k and was able to use a referral code in the process.

Btw, I also noticed they changed the logo on the door opening button. It's more intuitive now than a dash.

Good for you!

Would you mind showing us some pics from both sides of the car so we can see yours has matching painted doors?

appreciate it and glad you got a better looking car in the end. Like you said, this shouldn't have been a stressful event (buying a new car).

Hello - We just got our model Y 2 days back, and I'm so disappointed in the car, the trims are all miss-aligned. the glass at the back where it meets the hatchback is misaligned, The glass edges do not look polished. Doors and front hood and a few more issues. We showed it to the guy at the center while picking it up but he discounted it and said to file a service request. Now that I think of it why do I need to go through this I have paid for a new car. We are going back to return it and hope they will allow us to book for a new one. We like the car except that it's too much to deal with the service center back and forth.

Reactions: Watts 4 Me