Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Returning Tesla M3P after month, possible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As for range when Porsche day's you get 18/24 mpg gallon do you really think you get it? Heck no. Not if you have the radio up, the HVAC on, the heated seats on, more than one person who weighs 150 in the car, you're only driving 40 mph, and your acceleration is slower than turtle. Same goes with a Tesla you will never get the stated range if your driving hard, fast, with everything on, etc. I got a third of the stated street range on my Audi due to having everything on all the time and spirited driving.

Different vehicles have different efficiency sensitivities. Do you think other cars double their consumption on the basis of it being cold?

• Disagree
Reactions: jeremymc7
Different vehicles have different efficiency sensitivities. Do you think other cars double their consumption on the basis of it being cold?

The point was OP was complaining about range having driven it for a week and knowing what it was published when buying. Likely expecting to get close to the published range. In reality and with any car, regardless of “efficiency sensitives”, getting published rates isn’t reality for many people Due to numerous impacting factors and they should expect it to not. Especially when buying a performance version where the rating is done under conditions different from what many people who want a performance version might be driving it.

I didn’t just say cold. Nor did I say anything about doubling consumption, cold or not. I said the more you push it. The more stuff you have on the more it impacts your range. In general terms. Be it my ICE Audi or my EV Tesla or any other other cars I own or have owned be it Porsche, Audi, Mercedes, Volkswagen, Honda, Toyota, etc.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Joshan and holmgang
I didn’t just say cold. Nor did I say anything about doubling consumption, cold or not. I said the more you push it. The more stuff you have on the more it impacts your range. In general terms. Be it my ICE Audi or my EV Tesla or any other other cars I own or have owned be it Porsche, Audi, Mercedes, Volkswagen, Honda, Toyota, etc.

Wow. Groundbreaking conclusion there - did it take a lot faith to come up with it?

That generalization conveniently dismisses real life practicalities, like the fact that +5mph at highway speeds has a outsized impact on an EV versus most combustion passenger vehicles, due to their different optimal efficiency ranges. Do combustion vehicle operators have to consider wearing thick clothing and using seat heaters because the climate heating system is strongly detrimental to range?

Curious, have you ever bought a new car before? Has any dealer ever given you the belief that you could return it after a few months?
Few new cars. But those was like perfect cars. No problems anywhere. Maybe only good luck on those times.

"For the period 2018–2021, people who are either buying a new electric car or signing a long-term lease agreement for an electric car may receive a €2,000 purchase subsidy from the Finnish government. You receive the purchase subsidy directly as a discount on the price of the electric car being bought."

In here Finland you can get that if total cost is under 50000€. So this means that you can buy only SR and get that benefit.

Does Finland have a "lemon law"? That's where the car has a defect that the manufacturer cannot repair in a reasonable period of time. In many US jurisdictions, this is when the car is unavailable to the owner for more than 30 days. I suspect Finland might have a similar consumer law but the OP doesn't say what the problem(s) are. If it's unsatisfactory paint, that's unlikely to be included.

Yes there is something similar "lemon law".

What are some of the actual issues? Maybe we can help sort them out?

Here my list what I have noticed.

- One front light inside than the other
- The rear doors are not in the correct position with the chrome
- The Frunk hatch is not in the middle
- The driver's door shows stitching at the joints
- There is no paint on the inside of the doors, ie when you open the door you will see a white primer between the door and the frame
- The A-pillar on the side touches the frame
- A small line in the rear bumper that is missing paint
- At the left rear door, a couple of spots where the paint came off, showing now white
- Both front triangles are not clued correctly
- A lot of wind noise in the driver's side glass, apparently not pressed against the frame enough to be tight, only when you are driving on motorway this is noticeable
- The panel inside the driver at the head end dangles from the other edge, clip broken?
- In the trunk on the side of the auxiliary driver, the frame and the hatch apparently swung a little together that the paint had worn off, no primer is still visible
- The bottom is missing a couple of screws that hold something plastic in place, near front tires, apparently that front wheel plastic continues there
- Few spots where is missing paint, like little chips, noticed after wash, only hand washed now
- On frunk corner missing paint
- I am not sure which is correct word but missing paint on hem, only back, both sides, there the answers if PPF but I read one message that customer bought demonstration car where was already installed PPF etc. for these correct places

Another very slow day. I guess this has really gone off course.
I would think anyone who goes to buy a car does some research.
If you are really saying fit and finish has not been covered here or anywhere
on this world is just crazy. There are hundreds of youtube videos running Tesla's
and every speed under the sun. There is a difference between 55mph and 100mph in
any car. To date I have never told my wife to slow down and hand me my coat.
(well maybe in our old leaf) To be fair I did see a higher consumption at 100mph.
I have had complaints about snapping the heads back now and then.
Three software updates in four weeks and I surly have the Tesla smile.

Reactions: gavine
How many new cars have you bought OP? Has any manufacturer/dealership ever let you take a car back after a month and 2000 miles? Come on. Yeah these aren't the best built cars. Guess what, my 2015 Mustang ($35k car in 2015, not M3P price but not shitbox price range) had a laundry list of stuff when I took delivery (body panels, rattles), but they were all minor and it wasn't worth the hassle.

I seriously thought this was a parody thread. Teslas are not for people who care about tiny build quality issues. If that's so important you're never going to be happy with the car. You should have inspected the car better and refused delivery.

• Disagree
Reactions: ElectricIAC
You have several issues that can be addressed by Telsa service. Make an appointment for those.

- There is no paint on the inside of the doors, ie when you open the door you will see a white primer between the door and the frame
- A small line in the rear bumper that is missing paint
- At the left rear door, a couple of spots where the paint came off, showing now white
- In the trunk on the side of the auxiliary driver, the frame and the hatch apparently swung a little together that the paint had worn off, no primer is still visible
- Few spots where is missing paint, like little chips, noticed after wash, only hand washed now
- On frunk corner missing paint
- I am not sure which is correct word but missing paint on hem, only back, both sides, there the answers if PPF but I read one message that customer bought demonstration car where was already installed PPF etc. for these correct places
I suspect the multiple paint issues were caused by your previous car wash method. Probably used brushes? Get some touch up paint and continue doing the hand wash.

You have several issues that can be addressed by Telsa service. Make an appointment for those.

I suspect the multiple paint issues were caused by your previous car wash method. Probably used brushes? Get some touch up paint and continue doing the hand wash.
I maybe type little wrong but that was my first wash and made that normally hand washed.

I already waiting maintenance and also already got that maintenance agreement where they are asking money to fix these issues. Need to discuss more with Tesla and ask whey don't want to do these under warranty.

• Informative
Reactions: Dr. J
How many new cars have you bought OP? Has any manufacturer/dealership ever let you take a car back after a month and 2000 miles? Come on. Yeah these aren't the best built cars. Guess what, my 2015 Mustang ($35k car in 2015, not M3P price but not shitbox price range) had a laundry list of stuff when I took delivery (body panels, rattles), but they were all minor and it wasn't worth the hassle.

I seriously thought this was a parody thread. Teslas are not for people who care about tiny build quality issues. If that's so important you're never going to be happy with the car. You should have inspected the car better and refused delivery.

I have totally owned about 10+ car and 3 was new ones. Mainly vag cars. And one new one has problem that back class got water in trunk. But at least paint was staying on car not peeling of after first metres.

I know I have should better inspection on that time. I know that I mistake there. Know I know what to do better if I ever going to buy Tesla anymore.

I maybe type little wrong but that was my first wash and made that normally hand washed.

I already waiting maintenance and also already got that maintenance agreement where they are asking money to fix these issues. Need to discuss more with Tesla and ask whey don't want to do these under warranty.

They always send an "invoice" before the work begins with a price, but most of those things should be covered under warranty.

Easy for Tesla to fix - One front light inside than the other
Easy for Tesla to fix - The rear doors are not in the correct position with the chrome
Easy to fix - The Frunk hatch is not in the middle
Trim with scissors? Can you send a photo? - The driver's door shows stitching at the joints
Normal - There is no paint on the inside of the doors, ie when you open the door you will see a white primer between the door and the frame
Easy to adjust, but normal - The A-pillar on the side touches the frame
Can you send a photo? - A small line in the rear bumper that is missing paint
Could be from rocks or dirt on the street? - At the left rear door, a couple of spots where the paint came off, showing now white
Normal - they don't sit perfectly flat - Both front triangles are not clued correctly
Also somewhat normal. Wind noise is noticeable in this car because there's no motor noise to cover it up - A lot of wind noise in the driver's side glass, apparently not pressed against the frame enough to be tight, only when you are driving on motorway this is noticeable
Easy to fix - The panel inside the driver at the head end dangles from the other edge, clip broken?
Can you send a photo - In the trunk on the side of the auxiliary driver, the frame and the hatch apparently swung a little together that the paint had worn off, no primer is still visible
Normal - those holes are there but they don't install screws. Perfectly normal and no problem. - The bottom is missing a couple of screws that hold something plastic in place, near front tires, apparently that front wheel plastic continues there
Possible from your wash? - Few spots where is missing paint, like little chips, noticed after wash, only hand washed now
Possible from your wash? - On frunk corner missing paint
On the "rocker panel" on the side of the car? That happens very quickly just from driving - I am not sure which is correct word but missing paint on hem, only back, both sides, there the answers if PPF but I read one message that customer bought demonstration car where was already installed PPF etc. for these correct places

Many of these issues are easily fixed, or aren't issues at all. Ask Tesla to take care of the important ones would be my suggestion.

I am not going to pile on to OP like some of the folks here. We've all had buyer's remorse on something, and it feels bad.

Regarding your range complaint, this is just a fact of life with all electric cars. I know this is disappointing to hear. Because Tesla's range is quite good, it gives buyers a false sense that it's just like a gas car. Tesla's quoted range is with optimum weather, speed, road surface, etc. Typical use will yield results 50-95% of the advertised range. My personal experience in a warm weather location is that I get about 85% of what Tesla promises.

Your complaints about the paint quality can be fixed. They will probably be covered by the factory warranty, but even if they aren't, it is worth spending a little money to be happy with your car.

Alternatively, you could trade the car for a new one that will fit your needs better. This will cost a few thousand euros, but it's a solution.

Regarding your range complaint, this is just a fact of life with all electric cars. I know this is disappointing to hear. Because Tesla's range is quite good, it gives buyers a false sense that it's just like a gas car. Tesla's quoted range is with optimum weather, speed, road surface, etc. Typical use will yield results 50-95% of the advertised range. My personal experience in a warm weather location is that I get about 85% of what Tesla promises.

This is also a fact of life with ICE cars. People just never paid as much attention as the car did not advertise that fact to you and gas stations are more plentiful.

Did you not know, every Tesla buyer must visit this forum first before buying to know how crappy the cars are made and after they do to participate in all the justifications. Many people buy cars without ever going on forums, the real issue is Tesla still has crap quality which many Tesla owners refuse to call out on quality reports because they feel the need to "accept it" or justify it because they love other aspects of the car. Just wait for your customer service experience, then you will really want to get rid of it:) Tesla should put a link to this forum on their website. Bottom line if you want a Tesla you need to "accept" lower grade materials and poor assembly but in time you will learn to love all the rattles that drown the road and you won't even hear your wind noise. But if you hang in there Tesla should soon have 3D part replacements you can print at home to fix things and there is a huge aftermarket of people building seals and the like to fix all these issues faster than Tesla can:) It you want to see how many people are in the "accept" camp just count the disagree posts or talk to people that help volunteer to deliver cars or have their garages painted like a Tesla store.

• Funny
Reactions: JohnNick72
They always send an "invoice" before the work begins with a price, but most of those things should be covered under warranty.

Easy for Tesla to fix - One front light inside than the other
Easy for Tesla to fix - The rear doors are not in the correct position with the chrome
Easy to fix - The Frunk hatch is not in the middle
Trim with scissors? Can you send a photo? - The driver's door shows stitching at the joints
Normal - There is no paint on the inside of the doors, ie when you open the door you will see a white primer between the door and the frame
Easy to adjust, but normal - The A-pillar on the side touches the frame
Could be from rocks or dirt on the street? - At the left rear door, a couple of spots where the paint came off, showing now white
Normal - they don't sit perfectly flat - Both front triangles are not clued correctly
Also somewhat normal. Wind noise is noticeable in this car because there's no motor noise to cover it up - A lot of wind noise in the driver's side glass, apparently not pressed against the frame enough to be tight, only when you are driving on motorway this is noticeable
Easy to fix - The panel inside the driver at the head end dangles from the other edge, clip broken?
Can you send a photo - In the trunk on the side of the auxiliary driver, the frame and the hatch apparently swung a little together that the paint had worn off, no primer is still visible
Normal - those holes are there but they don't install screws. Perfectly normal and no problem. - The bottom is missing a couple of screws that hold something plastic in place, near front tires, apparently that front wheel plastic continues there
Possible from your wash? - Few spots where is missing paint, like little chips, noticed after wash, only hand washed now
On the "rocker panel" on the side of the car? That happens very quickly just from driving - I am not sure which is correct word but missing paint on hem, only back, both sides, there the answers if PPF but I read one message that customer bought demonstration car where was already installed PPF etc. for these correct places

Many of these issues are easily fixed, or aren't issues at all. Ask Tesla to take care of the important ones would be my suggestion.

Thanks for these.
Here some photos.
IMG_2804.jpg
Passanger side is fine, no problems on there.

IMG_2806.jpg
Both sides.

IMG_2841.jpg

IMG_2839.jpg IMG_2840.jpg

IMG_2900.jpg

IMG_2905.jpg IMG_2925.jpg

IMG_2941.jpg

On the "rocker panel" on the side of the car?
Yes that is correct. I put better mud flaps front and rear to prevent these but seems that not help on really rear before tires.

OP has a pretty cool car. Tesla will not buy back after a Month.

Best solution is to get it into service center, where they can handle his list of issues. Most are easy fixes for those guys.
Some experience with the car will allow OP to learn how to optimize range when necessary and enjoy the power when desired.

Tesla has been providing free mud flaps to owners in many countries. Might get some to prevent future paint issues.

All the issues I see in his pictures should be easily addressed by a body shop or some touch up paint.

Tesla is much more famous for it's technology and electric drive system. Most issues are found in paint and body fittment.

Wow. Groundbreaking conclusion there - did it take a lot faith to come up with it?

That generalization conveniently dismisses real life practicalities, like the fact that +5mph at highway speeds has a outsized impact on an EV versus most combustion passenger vehicles, due to their different optimal efficiency ranges. Do combustion vehicle operators have to consider wearing thick clothing and using seat heaters because the climate heating system is strongly detrimental to range?
In an ice vehicle you are always paying to heat the world at all times the vehicle is running. When it's cold you're capturing some of that waste to heat the interior. Very inefficient.

Reactions: db93 and gavine