Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reus audio upgrade for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a Reus audio upgrade installed in my Model S a few years ago and have been very happy with it. Because of that, I recently approached Reus and asked about an upgrade for the Model 3.

I was the first person to approach them about upgrading the 3, and we worked out an arrangement for them to "prototype" their system in my car. I picked it up yesterday, and am very happy with their upgrades.

Here's a description of the things they did to the car. They replaced the drivers that are in the little enclosures above the doors, and added a custom tweeter on the back of the rear view mirror that is aimed at the windshield. They also added a custom subwoofer enclosure in the trunk well area that houses a new 10" subwoofer with an amplifier off to the side. Finally, they also added two separate volume controls (one for the subwoofer and one for the new tweeter) at the bottom of the driver's seat so you can tweak the sound on the go...

Because it was the first Model 3 they did, it took a while for them to scope out the job, choose the components, look at the wiring routes, measure and build the custom enclosure, do the wiring, and then do the tuning on the system (involves installing custom crossover components to influence the sound that comes out of the new drivers as well as de-emphasizing the sound that comes out of the existing system). I left them the car for a few days, and they did their thing with it.

After picking it up and driving it home, I was able to listen to several types of music, and I think the system sounds great and is definitely an improvement over the original Tesla audio. These types of upgrades are not for everyone, but if you are a real audiophile or a "music person", you'll appreciate the improvements to the system.

The Reus systems typically run $3,500 to $5,000, depending on the options you choose. I got a break on the price because I was first for the Model 3 and gave them the time to do the prototyping on my car.

If you're interested, you can give Rick or Cliff a call at 1-714-633-6636 to discuss. They are in Orange County, CA, but do travel around the country to do installs when they can schedule them sequentially to make it worthwhile...

Here is a photo of the new subwoofer enclosure in the trunk well that houses the new 10" woofer.

subwoofer_trunk.jpg

Can we get some more pictures? I'm very, very interested in doing something like this. Is the enclosure ported? Almost seems like it'd have to be, the way it's tucked in there.
As an owner of a Reus system myself I can chime in here as well, theres not much to see, the goal is to not be able to visually tell there is a system in the car / and what you can see looks factory! Its truly an amazing system and I highly suggest it to anyone who wants something audiophile grade for their car.

Reus doesn't do it that way, but I suppose you could. The Tesla subwoofer is built into a specific volume enclosure for their driver that fits in the area where it is installed. If you want to swap it out, you'd have to calc out what volume the new subwoofer box requires and build a new enclosure that matches the new driver...Or leave it in place and add to it, which is what Reus does....

https://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxcalcs.asp

+1 for Reus; Cliff was in town (Dallas, Houston, Austin!) last week, so I finally got my (non-premium) Model S audio upgraded. It's a dramatic difference, and almost completely invisible.

I come from an era where a 'speaker upgrade' meant cutting out a couple of giant holes in the parcel shelf, and wedging in the largest speakers possible from Halfords. Things have moved on since the late 80's, as have my tastes in cars and audio, thankfully, but the one thing I'm still getting used to is having the sound stage at the front. The Model S is designed that way, as is the Reus upgrade, and of course it's like being at any concert; the sound doesn't come from behind you. But the boy-racer in me still sometimes want the sound coming from the back :)

Reactions: Tech_Guy
How much power is the audio amp in the Model 3?

I was at the Stanford dealership several weeks ago, but the Model 3 didn't have bluetooth setup. From listening to the streaming stations, I was a bit disappointed with the sound. But I know that was not a fair test.

How much power is the audio amp in the Model 3?

I was at the Stanford dealership several weeks ago, but the Model 3 didn't have bluetooth setup. From listening to the streaming stations, I was a bit disappointed with the sound. But I know that was not a fair test.

sub has 300 watts which isn't a lot considering it is in the booth of a sedan. might be quite well matched though.

If you also upgrade your 12v battery to Lithium you will get huge stereo improvements because of the better load handling of the 12v battery; it helps keep the load off the DC/DC converter in your car too! The increased capacity and reduction in voltage sag during loads both contribute to better sound from the stereo! (not to mention the weight savings as well)

for the Reus audio system in my Model 3. I’ve had several of their systems and all have been great. The whole purpose of their system is to not be seen but heard, looking like nothing was done to your vehicle. Happy to let folks listen and judge for themselves. I’m in the Orange County. Cars and Coffee is a great Saturday morning activity.