Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reusing Boosters: Launch, Land, and Re-Launch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The balloon thingy will not happen on the TESS launch. Elon's e-mail timing gives that impression. The TESS second stage will be sent into a heliocentric orbit.

Elon: "Yeah, but great for creating a giant object that retains its shape across all Mach regimes & drops ballistic coefficient by 2 orders of magnitude."

Here is what he may be talking about - A ballute:

Read through Chris G.'s twitter account and it seems that Elon is answering questions from reporters about Block 5, reusability, and future plans,

Chris G - NSF (@ChrisG_NSF) | Twitter

Same thing with Eric Berger's twitter account:

Eric Berger (@SciGuySpace) | Twitter

Lots of details that will come in full blown articles in the next few days.

Everyday Astronaut (since the launch is delayed) is doing a running commentary on Elon's answers and what they might mean.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Joerg
I listened to that call. I think I got most of it but wish I could have been able to understand every word because there was so much great information! I am sure that Eric Berger at ars techica, Loren Grush at The Verge, and others, will be publishing their impressions.

A “rotating fleet” of 30 to 50 F9 vehicles flying well over 300 missions before retirement; 24 hour turnaround goal, the goal of 2nd recoveries; wow!

I listened to that call. I think I got most of it but wish I could have been able to understand every word because there was so much great information! I am sure that Eric Berger at ars techica, Loren Grush at The Verge, and others, will be publishing their impressions.

A “rotating fleet” of 30 to 50 F9 vehicles flying well over 300 missions before retirement; 24 hour turnaround goal, the goal of 2nd recoveries; wow!

You ask, and here it is: A transcript of yesterday's call:
Block 5 Phone Presser

• Informative
Reactions: mongo
  • Funny
Reactions: scaesare and TLej
Infographic from Reddit about recoveries.
SpaceX Recovery History Pre-Block 5 [Graphic] • r/SpaceXLounge
32383982_1081515718653946_1199704152410685440_o.jpg

Looks like it's finally happening West Coasters! RTLS for Vandenberg will finally be happening. Sometime in September-ish...
SpaceX files for a permit with the FCC to enable an RTLS at Vandenberg Air Force Base for a mission NET September 2018. The mission is not yet known but is most likely SAOCOM 1A.
I'll post the details as the launch date for that launch firms up.
Michael Baylor on Twitter

An aside: B1050 has been spotted on the way to McGregor. B1050 is the fifth Block 5 booster. We'll be seeing a lot of launches and landings coming soon...

Last edited:
That would be great if the first Vandenburg RTLS was in early September! I’m going to see it.

“SpaceX files for a permit with the FCC to enable an RTLS at Vandenberg Air Force Base for a mission NET September 2018. The mission is not yet known but is most likely SAOCOM 1A.”

When I first read that I thought “Doesn’t the FAA issue launch permits, not the FCC?” Then I went to the link in the Twitter post you are quoting and see that the FCC is indeed involved.

OET Special Temporary Authority Report

Quote from the application: “This request is limited to the brief command uplink from a ground antenna at the landing site to the launch vehicle after landing.”

I wonder if that transmission is related to the procedure for safeing the stage after touchdown.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: e-FTW and Grendal
OET Special Temporary Authority Report

Quote from the application: “This request is limited to the brief command uplink from a ground antenna at the landing site to the launch vehicle after landing.”

I wonder if that transmission is related to the procedure for safeing the stage after touchdown.

The quote certainly implies that. Information is constantly flowing back and forth from the rocket as it's flying. SpaceX would want to remain in communication with the booster even after it has touched down. Safing the rocket would definitely be one of those steps.