Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reusing Boosters: Launch, Land, and Re-Launch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right, but they still tried to recover it, correct?
Yes indeed. First ran out of TEA/TEB, second fell over on the way back. I was lamenting that no center core has been successfully recovered, so ditching this one seems less of a difference than a side or F9 core.
This may be a very high mass/ high energy mission, so perhaps the center core will get a rare chance to leave it all on the field of battle before it passes into the deep.

Reactions: Grendal
Yes indeed. First ran out of TEA/TEB, second fell over on the way back. I was lamenting that no center core has been successfully recovered, so ditching this one seems less of a difference than a side or F9 core.
This may be a very high mass/ high energy mission, so perhaps the center core will get a rare chance to leave it all on the field of battle before it passes into the deep.
Straight to GEO is all we know. They would not go to this extreme if they did not have to, so this has to be quite high energy.

Reactions: mongo
This is significant new information, I think.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1295883862380294144?s=21

Elon was replying to a tweet saying that ULA stated that rescuing boosters only made sense after 10 reuses. Au contraire Elon said:

“Payload reduction due to reusability of booster & fairing is <40% for F9 & recovery & refurb is <10%, so you’re roughly even with 2 flights, definitely ahead with 3”

I absolutely believe that ULA needs to reuse 10 times to close the business case. Their technology will never be as progressive as SpaceX and their processes will never be as cost efficient as SpaceX.

Tempering that disparity slightly, I also believe that the financial models between ULA and SpaceX are fundamentally different with respect to amortizing development costs over production.

Reactions: ICUDoc
Me thinks we should have a contest to guess the date and or booster to hit 10 flights and landings. I was hoping for this year, but their turnaround time is still too long for 1049 to hit it by December 31st.

Let's do date. That way someone wins. Closest to the date in absolute number of days wins. The date of the launch will be the date at liftoff time at local time of the launch site. But let's make the criteria be the 10th successful launch of a booster, not necessarily landing since they could decide to expend the booster for various reasons.

I'll start: April 28, 2021 (just a special day for me).

Let's do date. That way someone wins. Closest to the date in absolute number of days wins. The date of the launch will be the date at liftoff time at local time of the launch site. But let's make the criteria be the 10th successful launch of a booster, not necessarily landing since they could decide to expend the booster for various reasons.

I'll start: April 28, 2021 (just a special day for me).
7/10/21 for me. Winner picks the charity we donate similar to the last bet?

Reactions: e-FTW
This is significant new information, I think.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1295883862380294144?s=21

Elon was replying to a tweet saying that ULA stated that rescuing boosters only made sense after 10 reuses. Au contraire Elon said:

“Payload reduction due to reusability of booster & fairing is <40% for F9 & recovery & refurb is <10%, so you’re roughly even with 2 flights, definitely ahead with 3”

And payload reduction which is what ULA is obsessed with does not matter at all when the mission is to launch payloads within the F9 recoverable capability like Cargo Dragon, Crew Dragon. Having more payload mass capability is irrelevant in such missions.

I should go then: May the 4th be with you, 2021.
And yes, winner picks the charity.

This should be a successful launch, and personally think landing as well. This would be such a milestone, they will want it on a non-expended mission.

(Mods, feel free to punt this contest to its own thread although it is quite topical to this one)

And payload reduction which is what ULA is obsessed with does not matter at all when the mission is to launch payloads within the F9 recoverable capability like Cargo Dragon, Crew Dragon. Having more payload mass capability is irrelevant in such missions.

Great point. Many missions the payload is not even at 50% of the capacity, and you might as well load it with fuel and bring it back for reuse.

Reactions: Grendal
Lot of reuse happening this weekend with SpaceX. Also quite a few milestones being reached for the Cape if it all works out.
118330961_3919476498068461_3995768789314099840_o.jpg

118298020_3919476604735117_2131610895751430932_o.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: e-FTW and Mike1080i