Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reusing Boosters: Launch, Land, and Re-Launch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since they can't transport it with the second stage attached, I don't see why they'd have to ship it back to Hawthorne to do the integration. Also, what makes you think it came in from Florida? Maybe it's a brand new one just waiting for the right time to head east. They might have needed the space in the factory, since it only has room for three boosters at a time.

I saw some additional pictures of that booster on the street (sorry for being too lazy to post those pics) that show a few uncovered areas. Those uncovered areas clearly show it's a veteran (used) booster. I suspect it's the one from Thaicom 8 mission. It's also missing it's engines. I think I know what they want to do with it, but it's mostly rumor/speculation. L2 info.

So this booster seems to be on a secret mission and it is not at Hawthorne for reuse. Well boo.

Thaicom was the leaning tower of boosters with the crushed landing leg core. It also had a hot landing and was beat up like F9-024 JCSAT 14. This is F9-025.

FullView5.PNG

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
And this just in:

SpaceX to launch SES-10 on previously flown Falcon 9 this year - SpaceNews.com

It looks like SES-10 is the winner for reusing the first booster. SpaceX is not taking the easy road and going with an easy launch with an easy recovery. SES-10 is a big heavy GTO launch. This will occur sometime in October according to the current listing for its launch. I would guess that this choice might modify the launch time, possibly more soon. The booster is technically F9-023 if it is the CRS-8 booster as expected. The launch will take place in Florida at SLC-40 or as a very outside possibility of LC39A.

Last edited:
That is great news! I suggest you start a new thread for that launch. Pretty exciting development!
And this just in:

SpaceX to launch SES-10 on previously flown Falcon 9 this year - SpaceNews.com

It looks like SES-10 is the winner for reusing the first booster. SpaceX is not taking the easy road and going with an easy launch with an easy recovery. SES-10 is a big heavy GTO launch. This will occur sometime in October according to the current listing for its launch

So this booster seems to be on a secret mission and it is not at Hawthorne for reuse. Well boo.

Thaicom was the leaning tower of boosters with the crushed landing leg core. It also had a hot landing and was beat up like F9-024 JCSAT 14. This is F9-025.

View attachment 192149

How do you know it's not going to be reused? There may yet be a mission for this booster...

Last edited:
How do you know it's not going to be reused? There may yet be a mission for this booster... just not as a Falcon 9.

Works for me. The secret mission might be anything. It just looks less likely that it will be for a near term re-use flight. I was trying to be clear that it is not the SES 10 reuse flight. I had previously said that I thought it was the CRS-8 booster.

That is great news! I suggest you start a new thread for that launch. Pretty exciting development!

Not quite yet. I'll wait for them to firm up a few more details. So far we know it might be October and the payload is SES 10, possibly SLC-40 too. We don't even know if the booster they will reuse is officially F9-0023. Not too many details yet.

An incredibly exciting development. Since this is a tough recovery situation, let's hope they manage to bring it back a second time for further reuse proving Elon and SpaceX are on the right track.

Can they practically fix the used cores with solutions to the problems they had in Thursday's anomaly? (September 1, 2016 early morning)

This question is open as long as it takes to answer. I'm perfectly aware that this will take time to answer.
They (currently) only re-use the first stage. Whatever the problem was, it was associated with the second stage. So no problem.

Reactions: Grendal
Interesting! I wonder how Nye found that out?

Good to hear that the FH is progressing.
He's part of The Planetary Society, which is developing LightSail 2, one of the first Falcon Heavy payloads. In that video he was explicit that he's not an official SpaceX spokesperson, so it's technically hearsay, but they had recently heard from SpaceX on the FH launch schedule (first flight still planned for November), and the reused boosters.