Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reusing Boosters: Launch, Land, and Re-Launch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually I see that for the whole industry and I don't see anybody adopting the kind of frenetic pace I see necessary to stay in the running with SpaceX much less outcompete.

Indeed. As long as Elon is around SpaceX is always going to have the differentiator of Elon being able to successfully push his employees larder and longer than anyone else (because they will be dismissed if they don’t…). His employees aren’t collectively any smarter or more efficient than anyone else but--again as long as Elon is around--they will ALWAYS have a pretty sizable advantage when it comes to the long term rate of work output.

The tech side differentiator may erode over time as the big race for new launchers shakes out winners and losers, as will the general approach to risk (= reframing away from legacy space into something more agressive), but its hard to imagine anyone ever surpassing SpaceX in those areas either.

Reactions: adiggs
Interesting, I hadn't realized they were skipping static fires. No info in the article about why they fired this one in particular, just random testing or due to some specific concern or measurement they're looking for? Related to how many times this booster has flown?
This one traveled across the country on a flat bed. That might be a trigger for a static fire.

Reusing FH boosters:

It's been a while for this thread but here's an article about the new thoughts on reused boosters:
92 re-flown boosters to date out of 144 launched boosters. Which is 64% of all boosters launched have already been launched before.

Last edited:
It's been a while for this thread but here's an article about the new thoughts on reused boosters:
92 re-flown boosters to date out of 144 launched boosters. Which is 64% of all boosters launched have already been launched before.
I've now changed my opinion slightly; now I PREFER re-used boosters (from the article).

First time I've seen that idea in print and associated with somebody from NASA. As if that is a slight change in :)

I've now changed my opinion slightly; now I PREFER re-used boosters (from the article).

First time I've seen that idea in print and associated with somebody from NASA. As if that is a slight change in :)
And with the NROL mission that just launched from Vandenburg this morning, even the super secret military intelligence spooks have now accepted that a flight proven booster is just fine.

I once suggested an edit on Wiki for "flight proven" vs "reused" on SpaceX and was shot down ( yes, pun ) by the community...

That's lame of them. Maybe they should read the Falcon 9 Users Guide where that term is officially used...

Maybe its time to try again @EVCollies , maybe also with the link to the official term. With the passage of time, who knows, maybe the update will go through this time.

Eric Berger: After flying 150th Falcon 9, SpaceX continues to make efficiency gains

SpaceX launched its 101st mission on December 6, 2020, to supply cargo to the International Space Station. It flew its 150th on Wednesday, launching the Crew-4 mission for the US space agency, carrying four astronauts to the International Space Station.

During this period SpaceX has flown the Block 5 version of the Falcon 9 rocket exclusively, launching a booster on average every 10.1 days. Remarkably, of the company's last 50 rocket launches, 47 have used a previously flown first stage booster.
This article was published April 29th and obviously since then there was another F9 mission.
SpaceX has also learned how to rapidly turn around the vehicle. Two days after its 150th launch, the company will make its 151st as early as today, Friday, April 29. This Starlink launch will feature a booster that has flown five previous times, including most recently launching the Axiom-1 mission into orbit. That crew flight took place just 21 days ago, so SpaceX has managed to cut its refurbishment period to just three weeks.

• Love
Reactions: 808? and Grendal