Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reuters: "Electric Mercedes opens German assault on Tesla"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, I guess Tesla should be flattered...

Electric Mercedes opens German assault on Tesla

Mercedes-Benz is set to unveil its much-anticipated electric SUV on Tuesday, marking the start of a German onslaught against Tesla’s (TSLA.O) dominance of the fast-growing market for premium battery cars...

The Mercedes EQC - whose launch program in Stockholm features yoga in a direct appeal to the Millennials who have flocked to Tesla - is the first production model under the carmaker’s electric EQ sub-brand. It will be closely followed by similarly hyped debuts for BMW and Audi.

“While Tesla currently has a strong hold on the luxury electric market, I don’t think this will be the case after the arrival of the German premium offerings,” said Wajih Hossenally, an automotive powertrain analyst with IHS Markit.

“Tesla has virtually zero competition - but this will change from 2019 onwards.”...

Executives including Mercedes Chief Executive Dieter Zetsche have taken to appearing in jeans and sneakers, responding to a broader tech-industry incursion into areas such as autonomous driving and connected services...

Audi on Monday began production of its e-Tron SUV ahead of a Sept. 17 sales launch jamboree in San Francisco, just 40 miles from Tesla’s Fremont assembly plant. It also plans to begin taking reservations backed by refundable $1,000 deposits...

Of interest to me:
In another Tesla-inspired move, the three German carmakers are developing their own network of fast-chargers along major highways in a partnership with Ford (F.N).
Ford? Really? That would be good news if true. The VW/EA fraud settlement DCFC charge station effort in the USA sure hasn't amounted to much thus far.

They also fail to mention these other companies only plan to make 20,000 EV's a year. Hardly dents the total worldwide EV demand. Though they may take some share away from Model S/X. At the premium price they are at for what you get in size/range/performance, I can't see them taking sales away from Model 3.