Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reuters: "Tesla readies revamped Model 3 with project 'Highland' -sources" [projected 3rd quarter 2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

"One focus of the redesign codenamed "Highland" is to reduce the number of components and complexity in the interior of the Model 3 while focusing on features that Tesla buyers value, including the display, according to the people, who asked not to be named because the revamp has not been announced."

"The revamp of the battery-powered sedan, which could also include some changes to the Model 3’s exterior and powertrain performance, will go into production at Tesla’s factory in Shanghai and the company’s Fremont, California plant, two of the people said. Tesla’s Shanghai Gigafactory will put the redesigned Model 3 into production in the third quarter of 2023, they said."

This would definitely help.

I think the Lexus EV has this... still doesn't make sense to me.

Yoke users seem to have adjusted so maybe it's just an iPhone no home button thing we will get used to.
the Lexus has adjustable steer ratio... drive-by-wire.... the yoke meanwhile is a chopped up steering wheel to save $ by no physical stalks...

Yoke users seem to have adjusted so maybe it's just an iPhone no home button thing we will get used to.
Of course, there is still some self-selection... those who like, or do not mind, the yoke bought and kept their yoke cars. Those who hate it did not buy in the first place, or (if they found out after buying that they hate it) sold their cars to buy something else.

what I hope we will get:

- solid one piece glassroof
- HUD or display behind steering wheel like in the S / X
- more premium materials
- adaptive air suspension

what I fear we will get:

- COST CUTTING
- the yoke (aka more cost cutting)
yoke, no stalks, removal of physical steering wheel buttons, all touch buttons.

no manual turn signals (AP decides), no button to manually wipe,

manual passenger seat controls

no overhead lights (screen lights up instead)

ventilation orientation fixed

no cabin air filter (too many service calls)

Could we see an option for a 2nd screen? I would assume this would be an optional dash to try to cover all the basis/reasons people may be hesitant to swap. Potential for a 2nd-row screen like in S/X, but that would cannibalize sales for them. We already know that the connections exist for this to come in the future if they wished.

Reactions: cdub and cmy4x4
Could we see an option for a 2nd screen? I would assume this would be an optional dash to try to cover all the basis/reasons people may be hesitant to swap. Potential for a 2nd-row screen like in S/X, but that would cannibalize sales for them. We already know that the connections exist for this to come in the future if they wished.
That would be interesting but I would vote no. It goes against the article's stated reasons for the change which is to simplify things and reduce costs. Of course the article could very well be wrong!

That would be interesting but I would vote no. It goes against the article's stated reasons for the change which is to simplify things and reduce costs. Of course the article could very well be wrong!
The Model 3 interior is already relatively simple (from a cost/manufacturing standpoint) compared to many other car interiors:
  • None of the usual center console buttons and knobs.
  • Steering wheel scroll wheels and steering column stalks are used for multiple functions instead of having a separate control for each function.
  • Dash and screen look symmetrical (same for LHD/RHD).
  • Non-adjustable/foldable head restraints on most seats -- would improve rear side visibility if the rear outside head restraints could be folded down.
  • Passenger adjustable lumbar removed.
  • Console USB data removed.
  • No seat heater control in the rear seat -- rear passengers must have the driver or front passenger adjust the seat heaters on the screen.
  • No backup mechanical door release in the rear seat.
  • Only two hardware variations (black versus white interior).
What more can be simplified?
  • Remove turn signal and PRND / cruise control stalks -- many here would not like that (whether or not the wheel is turned into a yoke).
  • Remove driver adjustable lumbar -- some here would not like that.

What more can be simplified?
  • Remove turn signal and PRND / cruise control stalks -- many here would not like that (whether or not the wheel is turned into a yoke).
  • Remove driver adjustable lumbar -- some here would not like that.
That's true from a feature standpoint. I was thinking more like how can they simplify parts to make manufacturing easier and/or reduce labor or components. Like the structural battery back or megacasting parts. I'd anticipate some of the changes being invisible at least on the surface.

"One focus of the redesign codenamed "Highland" is to reduce the number of components and complexity in the interior of the Model 3 while focusing on features that Tesla buyers value, including the display, according to the people, who asked not to be named because the revamp has not been announced."

"The revamp of the battery-powered sedan, which could also include some changes to the Model 3’s exterior and powertrain performance, will go into production at Tesla’s factory in Shanghai and the company’s Fremont, California plant, two of the people said. Tesla’s Shanghai Gigafactory will put the redesigned Model 3 into production in the third quarter of 2023, they said."

(moderator note)

OP, thanks for making the thread title of this thread something that was easy for me to consider as a sticky, since I am positive there will be plenty of conversation on this topic going forward. I added the projected date to the thread title because I thought some people with open orders right now might "osborn" if they thought this was imminent (as in right now).

• Helpful
Reactions: cmy4x4 and mpgxsvcd
3. No side mirrors and rearview mirror

Side mirrors are currently required in the US, but not in some other jurisdictions, where a smaller-than-mirror camera sticks out with a display inside the car where the driver would look for a side mirror.

(photo from Japan-market Lexus ES)

2019-lexus-es-digital-outer-mirror-106-1536784372.jpg