Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reuters: "Tesla readies revamped Model 3 with project 'Highland' -sources" [projected 3rd quarter 2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The stalks are a $700 upgrade?

The steering wheels options are both included in the vehicle's price.

I don't see any mention of a stalk upgrade on their order page.

$700 is if you want to retrofit your current MS to a wheel. Sounds reasonable...probably a drop in the bucket for someone who can afford a MS. I'm just happy this is optional because it means that the new M3 will probably stick with the wheel.

Elon probably drove his MS enough and thought the yoke was dumb.

Not exactly. New orders are priced the same for either a yoke or wheel. In March, existing vehicles with a yoke can buy a wheel retrofit for $700, including both parts and installation.

For me, the yoke is fine, but the horn button and the lack of a stalk for the turn control is a far greater issue.
yup. a German reviewer showed how near impossible it is to go through a round-about and signal with the turn signal when exiting (mandatory in most European countries). with the turn signals being on the yoke and the yoke turned upside down... good luck hitting the right turn signal.

Excellent list thanks! Here are my thoughts
I am anticipating:
  • Single cast Front and Rear body (Production Simplicity)
Yes
  • Unibody design with 4680 cells (Production Simplicity)
Yes. Perhaps the 3 is low enough in volume that 4680 can soon catch up with it in Fremont at least.
  • Yoke Steering Wheel (Franz design & MS, MX have it)
I doubt it because you don't need it with single display. It might be optional.
  • Stalks Removed (Franz design & MS, MX don't have it)
There have been so many complaints about the blinker buttons that I think they might keep that stalk. Gear stalk will disappear for sure.
  • Front Facelift (Like MX and MS)
Agree
  • USS removed
Yes of course
  • High Def Cameras
  • New AP Computer
I think AP cameras and computers upgrade across all Tesla vehicles every now and then, not necessarily tied to a facelift.
Please tell me what you think.
Delete almost all sound deadening and delete double pane side glass to save tons of weight and cost. In with the 22 speaker system from S/X now that the noise cancellation is starting to work decently.

Biggest no brainer of all: Introduce Performance + in addition to Performance. Now that they already have the Plaid drive units tried and true, it is free money for Tesla to put this together. I'm not talking about tri-motor, just dual motor in current form, but with the carbon sleeved rotors + electronics and perhaps lower gear ratio.

Reactions: graphic
Excellent list thanks! Here are my thoughts

Yes

Yes. Perhaps the 3 is low enough in volume that 4680 can catch up with it.

I doubt it because you don't need it with single display. It might be optional.

There have been so many complaints about the blinker stalk that I think they might keep it. Gear stalk will disappear for sure.

Agree

Yes of course

I think AP cameras and computers upgrade across all Tesla vehicles every now and then, not necessarily tied to a facelift.

Delete almost all sound deadening and delete double pane side glass to save tons of weight and cost. In with the 22 speaker system from S/X now that the noise cancellation is starting to work decently.

Biggest no brainer of all: Introduce Performance + in addition to Performance. Now that they already have the Plaid drive units tried and true, it is free money for Tesla to put this together. I'm not talking about tri-motor, just dual motor in current form, but with the carbon sleeved rotors + electronics and perhaps lower gear ratio.

Is the standard Model S carbon sleeved rotors? I don't think so...they also have great high speed power retention due to new inverter design. Just those would make the Model 3 Performance significantly faster especially up top (Model S is trapping 125+ mph!)

Just those would make the Model 3 Performance significantly faster especially up top (Model S is trapping 125+ mph!)
The standard S has essentially two M3 rear DU.

I was thinking they may want to put a carbon sleeved motor in the back of a 3P+. With the way higher rpm range of the new drive they could lower the gearing (increase motor speed) and get more power at all speeds, up to a reasonable top speed. not as high as the Plaid of course.

Last edited:
Here’s a thought, Tesla keeps the existing Model 3 RWD around in its current form, and reintroduces the LR (and updates the P) to a the newer/refreshed model. Essentially taking the Apple approach, where multiple generations of hardware is available simultaneously to target specific market segments.

Reactions: gglockner
Here’s a thought, Tesla keeps the existing Model 3 RWD around in its current form, and reintroduces the LR (and updates the P) to a the newer/refreshed model. Essentially taking the Apple approach, where multiple generations of hardware is available simultaneously to target specific market segments.
I think they like to simplify lines. This philosophy alone will prevent that strategy.