Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reuters: "Tesla readies revamped Model 3 with project 'Highland' -sources" [projected 3rd quarter 2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Totally disagree on this. I'm all in favor of eliminating something so unnecessary if it cuts cost without really losing anything. If you need critically accurate weather information, you wouldn't want to rely on your vehicle's cheap sensor (which is subject to inaccurate readings for a host of reasons). While he does a lot of bat-shyte crazy things, one smart thing Elon does is always look for ways to shave a few cents off wherever it can be saved. I like the idea of Tesla being profitable and around for a while to support my car.

You still get the exterior temperature in your car in almost all cases (and que the people bemoaning "but I don't get cell service in my special situation").
Do you know how much money Tesla is saving by eliminating temperature sensors? About $5 per car.

Thermistor

(EDIT) Oops... That is for a pack of 5. So I guess it's more like $1 per car. Yep, kudos to Elon for keeping Tesla profitable!!

Reactions: gglockner and Niroc
Do you know how much money Tesla is saving by eliminating temperature sensors? About $5 per car.

Thermistor

(EDIT) Oops... That is for a pack of 5. So I guess it's more like $1 per car. Yep, kudos to Elon for keeping Tesla profitable!!
The cost of sensors aren't the entire reason as to why Tesla keeps dropping them. It's more about simplifying the wiring harness.

Depending on what temperature database is used by Tesla to provide exterior temperature, I submit that very little information will be lost. Besides, I never thought that a car's exterior temperature sensor was really that representative of local conditions. The location of the sensor has to be a controlling factor.

The cost of sensors aren't the entire reason as to why Tesla keeps dropping them. It's more about simplifying the wiring harness.

Depending on what temperature database is used by Tesla to provide exterior temperature, I submit that very little information will be lost. Besides, I never thought that a car's exterior temperature sensor was really that representative of local conditions. The location of the sensor has to be a controlling factor.
Lemme guess, you supported passenger lumbar and frunk bag hook delete…

Reactions: BulldogsRus
You still get the exterior temperature in your car in almost all cases (and que the people bemoaning "but I don't get cell service in my special situation").
There is a larger area of the continental US without effective cell service than you might think. Unless the cars will be using Starlink as a backup.

I highly doubt you will be getting hyper localized temperature readings from the internet connection of the vehicle. Therefore what you are going to be left with a temperature reading from the nearest city/town with a temperature reporting system. Personally I would like to know when I'm in an area that the temperatures are approaching or below 32f, then I know I need to be careful on bridges overpasses, etc...
As for higher resolution cameras, I'll hold off on any judgement until I see what it can / can't enable. I don't have and don't want FSD so improving FSD means absolutely nothing to me. I made that mistake on my first Model 3.

Every other automaker has managed to make it work, surely Tesla won't continue to be the only one that can't/won't offer surround view cameras.

Land Rover even project underneath view without any camera there, it is just based on "memory" of front view camera. Why tesla cannot do even the 360?

1679580214617.png

Reactions: JBT66 and DrGriz
I’d take extra camera, higher res cameras, radar, and 360 view over built in temp.

I have cell service 99% of where I go, 99% of the year. Temp via internet works great for my phone and watch, why would it not for my car.

just FYI... 360 birdseye and front cameras have been standard in many vehicles for YEARS now. and they also come with radar. and USS. and temp sensor.

There is a larger area of the continental US without effective cell service than you might think. Unless the cars will be using Starlink as a backup.
bingo.

just one scenario where it matters... you drive from a village (cell phone reception) up into the mountains (no cell reception). at start you have 38F (= no risk for ice patches forming) but higher up in the mountains it's 28F ... meanwhile your car will continue to show the temp from the village when you last had reception. That displayed temperature is utterly useless then and can't even be remotely used to be aware of potentially slippery roads.

in older VWs when the exterior sensor came close to reading 0 Celsius - a frost symbol would appear to alert the driver of potential ice on the road.

bingo.

just one scenario where it matters... you drive from a village (cell phone reception) up into the mountains (no cell reception). at start you have 38F (= no risk for ice patches forming) but higher up in the mountains it's 28F ... meanwhile your car will continue to show the temp from the village when you last had reception. That displayed temperature is utterly useless then and can't even be remotely used to be aware of potentially slippery roads.

in older VWs when the exterior sensor came close to reading 0 Celsius - a frost symbol would appear to alert the driver of potential ice on the road.
Last weekend, we were going to take a drive up Pikes Peak. While the weather down in Colorado Springs was quite pleasant, a few miles away, at the top of Pikes Peak it was only -14F and felt like -31F. We decided to wait for a slightly warmer day.

Reactions: 804son
And you probably had decent cell service even at Pikes Peak
We postponed the trip due to the temperature/wind chill. It's been a couple years since we've been to the top of Pikes Peak so I can't remember how good the cell phone coverage is there. I do know we lose cell coverage in many other places in the mountains, including the drive up Mt. Evans.

bingo.

We can easily have 20 degrees of temperature fluctuation while driving 20 miles (to the ski area) in our vicinity. It is the difference between ice on the road or not and it happens frequently. You do want to know because you drive differently.

maybe we shouldn't be celebrating the deletion of USS/ temp sensors and whatnot while claiming that in return we finally get 360 birdseye view and a radar .... why not both? especially as radar was deleted years ago and now being added back on
I’m not celebrating any of that. I’m just ok with how they operate and what it produces and still have hopes of future features.
Guess I’m just not smart enough to criticize and question all future changes that I can’t comprehend how they might possibly solve the problem.