Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reuters: "Tesla readies revamped Model 3 with project 'Highland' -sources" [projected 3rd quarter 2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wait... It's going to be revamped by making the interior even MORE simplified? Are we going to get to the point where the interior has NO displays at all and drivers are expected to plug their iphones into a dock on the dashboard for car functionality and navigation because Elon says everyone has a smartphone anyway, and since in-car displays could fail at some point there's reason to include them with the car? They'll save $1500 per car by not having to install a display or associated nav and control software, but that has nothing to do with omission; it's simply to reduce the number of parts in the car and to make them more elegant. The ultimate goal is for the 2050 Tesla Model 3 to just be a really nice tire :)

Reactions: Brou
Would a performance Plus version potentially be a candidate for a center gauge cluster to use the unpopulated 2nd Display Out on the MCU. *takes tinfoil hat off*
I'm quite sure that there is never going to be 2 displays Model 3. And it definitely won't be on some trims. Model Y rear screen is much more probable.

Reactions: Olle
Wait... It's going to be revamped by making the interior even MORE simplified? Are we going to get to the point where the interior has NO displays at all and drivers are expected to plug their iphones into a dock on the dashboard for car functionality and navigation because Elon says everyone has a smartphone anyway, and since in-car displays could fail at some point there's reason to include them with the car? They'll save $1500 per car by not having to install a display or associated nav and control software, but that has nothing to do with omission; it's simply to reduce the number of parts in the car and to make them more elegant. The ultimate goal is for the 2050 Tesla Model 3 to just be a really nice tire :)
Hasn't Elon said in the past that steering wheels won't be necessary in the future? Maybe that's how they will simplify the interior now that FSD has "almost" been perfected!

You forgot the part about it requiring the Twitter smartphone since it will be incompatible with iPhone and Android.

I imagine revamping the M3 allows them to potentially release a [considerably?] cheaper SR3. The cheapest Tesla vehicle you can buy here in the US is closing in on $50K. With the median household income sitting around $70K, and rates getting/going higher, a large chunk of the market is pretty much priced out. Other OEMs seem to be capitalizing on this market.

This is interesting thinking about what it would take to get me to trade up from my ‘22 M3P.

It would have to be better performance, something like 2.5 0-60 and mid 10’s quarter mile, the Model Y style tail lights, and introducing some additional appealing colors wouldn’t hurt.

The yolk and removing the stalks would make me really not want to upgrade , I’m just not a big fan of those “features”.

Weird changes:
- "Twitter edition" of the new Model 3 removes gear selector stalk. You tweet to request a drive mode change from D/R/P.
- Ditch the steering wheel (you know, FSD/robotaxi sales pitch), or at least chop the top off to save a few bucks

Unfun and most likely changes:
- Interior will get cheapened out even further, making Chevy Bolt luxurious by comparison
- More features decontented, but could be added if you pay up (similar to HomeLink rear view mirrors, heated seats, etc)
- More $$ savings for Tesla of ZERO value to Tesla owners (no ultrasonic sensors), mega casting, cheaper and less energy dense 4680 batteries, cheaper interior materials all around, minor styling exterior updates here and there.
- Another increase in EAF/FSD prices. Just because.

Whether we like it or not, these and other change will happen, and new cars will sell.
Older Model 3's will take another depreciation hit when the new ones come out.

Weird changes:
- "Twitter edition" of the new Model 3 removes gear selector stalk. You tweet to request a drive mode change from D/R/P.
- Ditch the steering wheel (you know, FSD/robotaxi sales pitch), or at least chop the top off to save a few bucks

Unfun and most likely changes:
- Interior will get cheapened out even further, making Chevy Bolt luxurious by comparison
- More features decontented, but could be added if you pay up (similar to HomeLink rear view mirrors, heated seats, etc)
- More $$ savings for Tesla of ZERO value to Tesla owners (no ultrasonic sensors), mega casting, cheaper and less energy dense 4680 batteries, cheaper interior materials all around, minor styling exterior updates here and there.

Older Model 3's will take another depreciation hit when the new ones come out.
If the new ones are downgraded as above, that could increase the resale value of old ones.

I can see them removing the stalks but I don't see the yoke being used. I just think it's a bad idea in volume selling vehicles as it will be a deal breaker for a lot of people just looking for commuter transportation that have no aspirations of being an amateur pilot. The only real pro of the yoke in the Model S and X is the unobstructed view of the instrument cluster and that's not applicable to the 3/Y.

Can't wait to get a flat-pack Model 3 body, Model S drivetrain, and then find out the wheels are sold out at my location and can't order them online.
Or someone puts the wheels on wrong and can't get them off.

If the new ones are downgraded as above, that could increase the resale value of old ones.

It never works out that way - folks want the brand new thing (that Elon will be pimping mightily hard).
Even if the new thing is uglier and and more problematic (e.g.: G80 vs. F80), the new model always wins.

Personally, I'm salivating for e-tron GT.
Test drove it the other week. Still can't get it out of my mind.

I really hope the yoke doesn't make it into the refreshed 3. Shifting gears on the touch screen is bad enough - but tolerable (some ICE cars have less than optimal gear selection as well - Chevy Equinox for example) ... however a "chopped off" steering wheel *without* variable steering ratios and drive-by-wire is an absolute no-go.

I can see them removing the stalks but I don't see the yoke being used. I just think it's a bad idea in volume selling vehicles as it will be a deal breaker for a lot of people just looking for commuter transportation that have no aspirations of being an amateur pilot. The only real pro of the yoke in the Model S and X is the unobstructed view of the instrument cluster and that's not applicable to the 3/Y.
I think removal of stalks is also a bad idea. Remember the 3 and Y are cars for the masses, high-volume production. Not just followers of the Cult of Elon.
I really hope the yoke doesn't make it into the refreshed 3. Shifting gears on the touch screen is bad enough - but tolerable (some ICE cars have less than optimal gear selection as well - Chevy Equinox for example) ... however a "chopped off" steering wheel *without* variable steering ratios and drive-by-wire is an absolute no-go.
Confused - my wife has a 2022 Equinox and it has a normal automatic shifter on the console, and the upcoming Equinox EV looks to have a shift stalk on the right of the column that appears to work just like the current 3/Y.

Reactions: afadeev