Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reuters: "Tesla readies revamped Model 3 with project 'Highland' -sources" [projected 3rd quarter 2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moving to the 3 to mega casting, the Y is built with them, but the 3 is not.
Yes, that is a probable change, since it would make the 3 less expensive to build, and perhaps better (lighter) or at least not worse than the current version (Munro did mention that some of the 3 unibody had far too many parts, cost, and weight compared to what he expected when he took one apart a few years ago).

But the Reuters page mentioned changes in the interior, which changing to mega casting would not necessarily affect.

That would be interesting but I would vote no. It goes against the article's stated reasons for the change which is to simplify things and reduce costs. Of course the article could very well be wrong!
Agreed, doesn't make sense entirely, but it could also be a optional paid feature they offer as an incentive to get those not fully into EVs to jump. Doesn't make sense to me why the MCU has that there unless it's a relic of a Universal MCU attempt that never made it to production.

Yes, that is a probable change, since it would make the 3 less expensive to build, and perhaps better (lighter) or at least not worse than the current version (Munro did mention that some of the 3 unibody had far too many parts, cost, and weight compared to what he expected when he took one apart a few years ago).

But the Reuters page mentioned changes in the interior, which changing to mega casting would not necessarily affect.
If they move to structural battery pack that will Mount interior components to battery pack and assembly will be streamlined, not a physical change to interior components but it does change the interior

Just a personal option so please don’t take this the wrong way. I am so glad for my 2021 M3 LRAWD. As the model progressed, I feel as though there have been some improvements at the cost of convenience, in the name of cost cutting.
  • USB-C no longer data enabled, but just power charging (not great)
  • Updated AMD processor (very good)
  • Removal of ultrasonic proximity sensors and relying on teal vision (terrible idea)
  • Removal of front tweeters
This is just my opinion, and I really appreciate that my car has these conveniences before these changes. So please don’t slag me for it.

There is so much low-hanging fruit on the Model 3, it was there first high-volume steel bodied car and I can't wait to see what they do with it. The 2wd SR+ remains my favorite Tesla to drive, and when the base boring-spec poverty edition is good, you know you've got a good one. Some of the so called journalism is acting like refreshes are "uncharateristic" for Tesla, which is absurd, they've done it on a similar timeline as everyone else's refreshes, 3-4 years. S in 2017 about 4 years post release, and '21 4 years after that, X 5 years after release (probably would have been 4 years but for covid things) and guess what time it is for Model 3? Right smack in the same cycle the rest of the industry uses, considering it wasn't fully mature until probably mid-late 2019 and has gotten a bunch of updates in the meantime. If the rumors are true, a very positive sign for enthusiasts, who really only have one trackable EV choice right now and should be worried by the recent focus on Model Y uber alles, and for Tesla.

Tesla, if you still have any employees, and you are reading this, please don't ruin Model 3 for the car guys. .

And please for the love of god if you take away even more hand controls, make sure the automation is fully vetted and don't do another public beta.

Also, kindof amazing that the scuttlebutt is actually sortof a reasonable timeline and not "two weeks". Q3 2023 seems doable for one line to change over to a new config while the other line burns any remaining demand and parts inventory for the old config. But then again, I didn't think it would take a full year for Palladium changeover to be fully complete either, but that was in many ways a much more complicated ship in a bottle to build with only one line, and one line running two very different cars.

And while I'm wishing for unicorns to be real, please also give us a retractable sunshade

Thanks,

- Guy whose car technically came with a retractable sunshade (just retract it into this handy zipper bag!)) because they forgot the sun is bright/hot when they designed the windscreen and visors

Last edited:
If I were running Tesla, I'd put more R&D effort into launching Cybertruck than a Model 3 refresh. I'm personally disinterested in Cybertruck, but I suspect that it would generate more revenue than a Model 3 refresh.
Is it possible to do 2 things at the same time? I believe they are currently building the line that will produce cybertruck, what R&D do you need to do if production is eminent with the facilities to do so.

If I were running Tesla, I'd put more R&D effort into launching Cybertruck than a Model 3 refresh. I'm personally disinterested in Cybertruck, but I suspect that it would generate more revenue than a Model 3 refresh.

Cybertruck is held up by 4680.

Model 3 is already here and they need to keep the demand up, whether by improving the interior or having the ability to lower the price.

This would definitely help.

I think the Lexus EV has this... still doesn't make sense to me.

Yoke users seem to have adjusted so maybe it's just an iPhone no home button thing we will get used to.
I still haven't gotten used to the no-home button thing. I preferred home button with fingerprint reader to no home button and face recognition.

I got used to everything on Y pretty quick although I still prefer old-fashioned turn signals. One pedal driving and no parking brake are big improvements over traditional cars. I don't know if the yoke will be an improvement.

Also I don't want driving a Tesla to get so different from driving a traditional car that my muscles forget how to drive a traditional car (rental cars, etc)

Reactions: BigNerd
Megacasting, structural pack, new front fascia and taillights, oled screen, palladium computer, +10% range as standard.

Plaid coil winding (+50% power at top speed), +15% peak power, better regen, better cooling in Performance version.

Tri-motor, 100kwh pack, bolstered seats, different front fascia, adjustable suspension, better brakes, wider wheels on 2024 M3 Sport for 20K price above Performance.

Megacasting, structural pack, new front fascia and taillights, oled screen, palladium computer, +10% range as standard.

Plaid coil winding (+50% power at top speed), +15% peak power, better regen, better cooling in Performance version.

Tri-motor, 100kwh pack, bolstered seats, different front fascia, adjustable suspension, better brakes, wider wheels on 2024 M3 Sport for 20K price above Performance.
Would a performance Plus version potentially be a candidate for a center gauge cluster to use the unpopulated 2nd Display Out on the MCU. *takes tinfoil hat off*

huge Tesla fan here, but good grief the auto high beams and wipers are horrible. On my 2nd model 3 currently, closing in on 300k combined miles. Phenomenal cars. I’d literally pay a couple grand for ventilated seats. My dream sedan would be a model 3 with air suspension, ventilated seats, yoke, 600 mile range (120kwh pack?), faster AC charging (seemingly no one talks about this???), an AC wall outlet in the interior and trunk (or 5), and maybe a cool feature or two like a fridge in the frunk or a flip up lap table or convertible center console. Fold flat seats and a larger trunk opening would be an epic format change as well. I guess maybe what I’m asking for is a better polestar 2…but it’s just not the same as that Tesla magic, man

One "invisible" thing they should really fix with this refresh is whatever it is in the A/C system design that makes the interior smell like damp dead cats. I gave a colleague a ride last week and I forgot to "prep" the interior by turning on the climate remotely ahead of time to blast away the stink before we got near the car. It was rather embarrassing and I had to explain that it's a widely known problem with hundreds of posts in Tesla forums and no common permanent fix.

I still haven't gotten used to the no-home button thing. I preferred home button with fingerprint reader to no home button and face recognition.
Same... still have my iPhone 8... TouchID is just faster and more intuitive to me.
I got used to everything on Y pretty quick although I still prefer old-fashioned turn signals. One pedal driving and no parking brake are big improvements over traditional cars. I don't know if the yoke will be an improvement.
Took me a while to switch over to OPD but now it makes driving an ICE difficult (luckily... many of the ICE cars are adding Hold option for keeping the car stopped at a light). I really like the drive stalk... but yes... I accidentally turn on wipers on other vehicles trying to put them into drive. I free-spin my steering wheel on turns so I probably won't like the yoke.
Also I don't want driving a Tesla to get so different from driving a traditional car that my muscles forget how to drive a traditional car (rental cars, etc)
We have 2 different EVs and 2 different ICEs in the family... so it keeps me guessing how to drive them. :)

Reactions: JustABill