Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reuters: "Tesla readies revamped Model 3 with project 'Highland' -sources" [projected 3rd quarter 2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hopefully they can get NVH on par with an Audi A4.
I already have. Check my thread out.

Reactions: Adam3
I already have. Check my thread out.

Too bad Tesla hasn’t worked on this. I trust you understand noise because you have been driving a Mercedes of some sort - but I’m done messing with aftermarket mods in the NVH department.

Nice work on your Model 3. Seems legit.

Reactions: enemji
Highland updates

1679452122724.gif

Highland updates
Noticed the hood does not dip between the headlights as it does now. Its a little of hood bulge, that would necessitate reshaping of the lights. Looks like the blunt nose is gone and so is the amphibian look. Think the 3 is getting a more butch or mature look.

Noticed the hood does not dip between the headlights as it does now. Its a little of hood bulge, that would necessitate reshaping of the lights. Looks like the blunt nose is gone and so is the amphibian look. Think the 3 is getting a more butch or mature look.
Gone is the look of the Porsche 996.

Looks more like a Mazda3

Last edited:
Reactions: Krash and Niroc
A hood bulge might indicate an upcoming HEPA filtration system? The current 3 lacks it due to lack of space but the Y has it equipped.

Reactions: DrGriz
Also from the article:
In order to cut costs, Tesla is removing the vehicle's temperature sensor that is used to detect the temperature outside of the vehicle. Instead of using a temperature sensor, the vehicle will determine the exterior temperature based on its GPS location and weather data. This could lead to more accurate temperatures being displayed, as wind or other environmental factors can sometimes cause inaccuracies. However, owners will lose the ability to view the temperature in their immediate location, such as their garage.
Brilliant. Now in remote areas that lack cellular coverage, the car won't be able to "look up" the outside temperature. Unless that's provided by the GPS signal?

few thoughts:

- lower bumper camera ... likely needed for USS feature parity. That being said - unless it has an auto-wash mode that camera will get DIRTY in no time and pelted with rock chips being that low to the ground. 5MP for new cameras is interesting... makes you wonder if FSD is even feasible with the current 1.2MP cameras...

- vehicle temperature sensor removal... ok... basic cost cutting. we all know how spot on weather.com temperature data is and how often you do not have a cellular signal in remote areas.

few thoughts:

- lower bumper camera ... likely needed for USS feature parity. That being said - unless it has an auto-wash mode that camera will get DIRTY in no time and pelted with rock chips being that low to the ground. 5MP for new cameras is interesting... makes you wonder if FSD is even feasible with the current 1.2MP cameras...

- vehicle temperature sensor removal... ok... basic cost cutting. we all know how spot on weather.com temperature data is and how often you do not have a cellular signal in remote areas.
Time to get blinker fluid tanks for the eyelids to wipe it clean

few thoughts:

this nickel and dime cost cutting is a bit too much for the price of these EVs. I would pay few extra hundred dollars for these little extras; hanging hooks, ventilated front seats, floor mats...

When a cheap KIA Soul has more features and extras than our high priced EV, people are going to notice it.

On mobile and can’t see signatures.
Turn your device sideways.
That being said - unless it has an auto-wash mode that camera will get DIRTY in no time and pelted with rock chips being that low to the ground.
Every other automaker has managed to make it work, surely Tesla won't continue to be the only one that can't/won't offer surround view cameras.

few thoughts:

I've owned a number of vehicles with front cameras in all different locations on the front of the car. The rear camera is always the one that needs to be wiped off, the front usually does pretty well, unless directly impacted by dirt or a bug, which doesn't happen often due to the shape.

Reactions: DrGriz
Told y'all that this "update" would be mostly a cost-down with some window-dressing to disguise.
yeah. removing something as mundane as an exterior temperature sensor (which nearly ALL vehicles have) and use internet weather data via cellular instead is extremely pathetic.

so far I don't see much "cool" from a customer perspective and just a heavy cost cutting focus from the leaks... meanwhile I'm assuming the facelift car won't be much cheaper than the current version.

Reactions: Brou
yeah. removing something as mundane as an exterior temperature sensor (which nearly ALL vehicles have) and use internet weather data via cellular instead is extremely pathetic.
Totally disagree on this. I'm all in favor of eliminating something so unnecessary if it cuts cost without really losing anything. If you need critically accurate weather information, you wouldn't want to rely on your vehicle's cheap sensor (which is subject to inaccurate readings for a host of reasons). While he does a lot of bat-shyte crazy things, one smart thing Elon does is always look for ways to shave a few cents off wherever it can be saved. I like the idea of Tesla being profitable and around for a while to support my car.

You still get the exterior temperature in your car in almost all cases (and que the people bemoaning "but I don't get cell service in my special situation").