Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reuters: "Tesla readies revamped Model 3 with project 'Highland' -sources" [projected 3rd quarter 2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am pushing back on this concept no one cares about what their car looks like on the outside. Yes, they do, the M3 is not going a decade like the niche MS without some exterior changes if Tesla wants growing sales. Example, we are on our third set of wheels for the M3 and about to go to a forth design, even Tesla recognized keeping the exterior fresh. Tesla is no dummy, the only negative about the M3 exterior design was the front some saying looked like a frog, fish, platypus take your pick. Tesla just fixed that and probably hoping to get another 5 years of strong sales out of the present platform.

As regards fog lights most people forget they have them, use them incorrectly or really does not make a difference in fog. Tesla probably does have empirical data showing how many times fog lights were actually used and its probably not much. This is a cost cutting exercise so might as well get rid of them since most likely they were not being used anyway. With the use of castings, cutting fog lights and sensors, etc. it would be interesting if Tesla cut more than the 20% goal in costs.
Well, one reason Tesla fog lights are not used much: the controls are burred in a sub-menu. Good luck safely navigating to that in a hurry.

Regarding external re-designs, I really wish we would get away from the expectation that every car model should completely change every couple years. It is not really good for anybody.

Also there are tones of iconic vehicles that have had platforms that have lasted more than a decade: MGB, Beetle, Chevy Square Body, etc. If you do a good job at design at the beginning (and do some tech upgrades along way) it will not feel dated. Constant model churn is boring, annoying and destructive. Planned obsolesce should be socially and legally undesirable.

IMHO, the 2017 Model 3 is still overall a fresh design, but unfortunately most of the 'upgrades' done since introduction (and new ones being talked about here) are not improvements for consumers but either cost-cutting measures for Tesla or things done to stroke the CEOs ego.

Oh the nose camera is there, part of the HWv4 package for the refreshed 3/Y... will make relocating the front license plate down impossible.

Highland and Juniper/Jupiter are turning out to be even more of a let down than we predicted when news of these refreshes first hit in late 2021, early 2022.

Here is to hoping the mini Y and mid-size sedan or coupe slotted between the 3 and S are more interesting.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Mr X
IMHO, the 2017 Model 3 is still overall a fresh design, but unfortunately most of the 'upgrades' done since introduction (and new ones being talked about here) are not improvements for consumers but either cost-cutting measures for Tesla or things done to stroke the CEOs ego.
I think the upgrades with the 2021+ models are actually good, quantifiable improvements: heat pump, auto lift gate, matrix headlights, double paned front windows, wireless charging, usb-c, HEPA filter etc. These are all desirable and functional upgrades for me; So much so, I've even considered trading in my current 2019 to the current year because of these features. I can't fathom how adding any of these would have cut costs for Tesla.

It is possible for something to cut costs and be better for the consumer (e.g. LFP battery).

On the other hand, removing features before the replacement functionality is ready is not customer friendly (the examples are removal of radar and ultrasonic sensors).

It is possible for something to cut costs and be better for the consumer (e.g. LFP battery).

On the other hand, removing features before the replacement functionality is ready is not customer friendly (the examples are removal of radar and ultrasonic sensors).
Disagree with the statement that LFP is better than the older nickel pack. It's worse in every metric. The "I can charge to 100% daily!" thing doesn't really seem like much of a feature to me, as it's not how people actually use their vehicles.

Disagree with the statement that LFP is better than the older nickel pack. It's worse in every metric. The "I can charge to 100% daily!" thing doesn't really seem like much of a feature to me, as it's not how people actually use their vehicles.
Longevity is one area where LFP is legitimately superior. It can go through many more charge cycles before showing degradation

These aspects of the LFP packs are not worse:
  • Less degradation over time generally.
  • State-of-charge to minimize degradation is <70% instead of <55%.
  • Less risk of fire if damaged.

Reactions: Zoltrix77
Well, one reason Tesla fog lights are not used much: the controls are burred in a sub-menu. Good luck safely navigating to that in a hurry.

Regarding external re-designs, I really wish we would get away from the expectation that every car model should completely change every couple years. It is not really good for anybody.

Also there are tones of iconic vehicles that have had platforms that have lasted more than a decade: MGB, Beetle, Chevy Square Body, etc. If you do a good job at design at the beginning (and do some tech upgrades along way) it will not feel dated. Constant model churn is boring, annoying and destructive. Planned obsolesce should be socially and legally undesirable.

You press the light logo and tap fog? How is that burried in sub-menus?

Good point about modern cars moving away from fog lights @NCDAG's M3P I didn't realize that they had gone out of fashion but now that I look, it seems you are correct. And honestly, main beams have been so good for the last 20 years that the fog lights are of little or no help in actual fog.

As for front cameras, there is something in the vent here which looks kinda round...

View attachment 928235
Agreed, they were a styling choice over many years, Only fog light required is a rear fog.

Reactions: NCDAG's M3P
Facelifts don't usually cause depreciation of older models. If you're worried about depreciation your bigger concern should be Tesla arbitrarily slashing thousands of dollars off new car order prices.
Agreed there! Luckily again my LR was purchased early enough prior to all the increases so it’s returned back to where I bought anyway.

I’ve added full body ppf, 20” summer oem tesla V1 rims/tires and regular 19” oem set, oem carbon fibre spoiler, carbon fibre dash, alum pedals…
My M3 LR is a month older than yours and has been flawless so far. I would hate to replace it and get one that gives me problems but has a nice new face lift. I'm keeping mine.
I agree on the flawless part bud. Ok except for an odd sticky parking break noise every time I place the car in Park. They fixed this a few months back and it returned. Minor. Other than this I haven’t had it in for anything in 45,000km /16 months. It also drives incredible whether in my 19”S or the 20’s.

Boost gives me all I want in power 0-120kph. I do wish it maintained the torque pull after this but totally fine.

I love the present car but I do wonder whether T will decrease weight, increase handling, offer longer ranges, get closer to S interior, maybe a dark headliner…etc

Yoke I’m fine with my Aroham unit 👍🏽
Stalkless I would not be a fan of…ever.

Reactions: Perscitus
These aspects of the LFP packs are not worse:
  • Less degradation over time generally.
  • State-of-charge to minimize degradation is <70% instead of <55%.
  • Less risk of fire if damaged.
The “new” RWD Model 3 is slower, heavier, less nimbler, and worse charging than the one it replaced. Degradation isn’t really a concern of mine. That’s just a matter of expectations.

The vast amount of buyers do. In addition to the others things you mentioned.
Time for aftermarket Fog Lights

1681581568917.png

This is just personal preference but I think it looks a little bland. Some people will like it but I would rather they went for a more sporty look. It would be nice if they made the model 3 the sport sedan and separated it from the Y a little more in looks. I'm not sure about it because we don't have good pictures yet though. Everything also looks a litter different in person.

Again just personal preference but something in between these bumpers would have been nice.