Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reuters: "Tesla readies revamped Model 3 with project 'Highland' -sources" [projected 3rd quarter 2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dear God that's so ugly it should be illegal! Somebody should post that on BMW forums where people complain bitterly about the BMW ugly grill. Might make them feel better. A grill that is truly much uglier than BMWs! That looks like a prop that came from a sci-fi horror movie.
It's a concept car. The BMWs with ugly grills are actually in production and on the roads.

Well I think we can see how Tesla intends to simply the Model 3. By removing items off it.
No parking sensors obviously.
No Fog lights
Smaller headlight
Removal of stalks

I assume the wheel air curtain happens now behind the bumper rather than in the front. They may have incrementally improved drag with the new front and rear bumpers.

The over all effect makes the car look pretty plain, and the model 3 was already a clean car with out much fussy styling.

I'm not convinced that HW4 is going to go into the Model 3. If it was going to roll out in that model we would likely already see it in that model as we are already seeing it in the model s and x. HW2 to HW3 involved a processor upgrade of ~6-7 times the processing/ (~10 times)data handling capability of the earlier generation. While HW4 is 50-100% increase and mostly through parallelism, HW4 may be designed for use in larger vehicles with more sensors, than more capability on smaller vehicles. HW4 also has higher power draw, which will result in reduced range for smaller vehicles like the model 3 and model y. HW4 is designed to operate on things like the Cybertruck and the semi, HW3 was not designed for those applications.

The space that the model 3 and model Y are going is lower cost, not feature explosion. Tesla is under significant pressure in China, and the pressure is from price, globally the pressure is also price, Tesla sells more cars, the cheaper they get. While improving the FSD hardware is nice, its not driving sales. HW4 is required for high value and physically bigger vehicles like the Cybertruck and semi. The S and the X are expensive models not price sensitive really, so they can also have the same tech and increase volume numbers.

Model 3 and model Y are produced in volumes in the millions now. Saving cents now matters on those vehicles.

I wish they took this update as an opportunity to re-engineer the door handles. I hate them and they are not that necessary for the aerodynamics.

Been driving for 40 years and never once needed fog lights.

I think HW4 requires so many car-wide changes that it doens't make sense to update the current M3. It makes sense to introduce it in the Highland.

I'll wait a year to see how this update goes before I would think about flipping my 2022 M3.

• Love
Reactions: Adam3 and jeremymc7
FtrbGnnWwAA8BYz

From allcarnews on Twitter. Save for the Roadster headlights I think its one of the better renderings.

I really like the new headlight design. It's a big improvement over the current design. I hope they do something similar to the taillights, as the current car already looks like it's about two normal car generations behind. Any update for Tesla is huge since they aren't exactly quick to update their vehicles from a styling perspective.

Last edited:
The revamped Model 3 looks like it has better aerodynamics, if so that means better range.
Sure about that? At first sight it looks worse because the hood-fascia edge is sharper than before. For reference: Leading edge - Wikipedia
Anybody with aerodynamic knowledge please weigh in. We would love some insight on this.

Aesthetically though the new one looks much better IMO. Was never able to warm up to the current 3/Y front.

Sure about that? At first sight it looks worse because the hood-fascia edge is sharper than before. For reference: Leading edge - Wikipedia
Anybody with aerodynamic knowledge please weigh in. We would love some insight on this.

Aesthetically though the new one looks much better IMO. Was never able to warm up to the current 3/Y front.

I have absolutely no evidence of any kind, but my guess is that Tesla would not redesign the front bumper to be less aerodynamic than the previous version. I mean, how many times have you read where a manufacturer brags about their new design having a 0.28 coefficient of drag, which is down from the 0.32 from the previous design? It's pretty common. And for EVs, it's kind of important for range. So I'd be shocked if the new front end doesn't cut through the air a little easier than the previous front end.

I have absolutely no evidence of any kind, but my guess is that Tesla would not redesign the front bumper to be less aerodynamic than the previous version. I mean, how many times have you read where a manufacturer brags about their new design having a 0.28 coefficient of drag, which is down from the 0.32 from the previous design? It's pretty common. And for EVs, it's kind of important for range. So I'd be shocked if the new front end doesn't cut through the air a little easier than the previous front end.
Exactly, I highly doubt Tesla would design a car that has worse aerodynamics.

Exactly, I highly doubt Tesla would design a car that has worse aerodynamics.
Probably didn't express myself clearly. Of course the new one will be more aerodynamic than its predecessor. What I am saying is that it doesn't look as aerodynamic as the old one, which is why I am wondering if the picture is the real thing. Also, if an aerodynamic engineer would like to chime in on why and why not, I think it would be interesting.