Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reuters: "Tesla readies revamped Model 3 with project 'Highland' -sources" [projected 3rd quarter 2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't read all the buff about the revised Model 3 so I don't know if this has been covered.

Is there any chance the new version will have a hatchback? It would broaden appeal enormously with no downside I can see. Maybe even market both versions?

Any categoric answers - not just speculation?
It is almost a hatchback except the rear deck does not lift with the glass. Thankfully.

I haven't read all the buff about the revised Model 3 so I don't know if this has been covered.

Is there any chance the new version will have a hatchback? It would broaden appeal enormously with no downside I can see. Maybe even market both versions?

I would be a massive fan of this, for surfboards inside the cabin reasons. It’s the missing thing in my opinion and would help use the vast space in there even better.
But I’d be surprised if they do as the model Y kind of ticks that box.

I would be a massive fan of this, for surfboards inside the cabin reasons. It’s the missing thing in my opinion and would help use the vast space in there even better.

A Model 3 Hatchback would certainly outsell the Model Y,
especially in Asia and Europe, and would be in better position against the Polestar 2 and VW ID.3

However, I think that the major possible change (?) could be:

- having a rear casting likethe Model Y.
- I doubt that there would be a front casting or structural pack.

I’m kind of surprised they don’t reuse half castings for multiple cars, at least for different model cars that are the same width.

It is rumored that eventually there will be a single integrated casting (connected front and rear) when the cars get smaller and the casting machines get bigger.

Last edited:

I would like that as well, but I think that the chances of this happening are very low. The current North American market does not like hatchbacks or wagons, for reasons I have never understood. Sadly, those designs have been replaced by the bloated SUV design. While Tesla does things a bit differently, I don’t think that even they would ignore this basic reality of the current market. And car companies, even Tesla, are happy to go along with and even encourage the market in this regard, as they can tack another 5 to 10k onto a vehicle designed and marketed as an SUV.

Why? I would think all new high volume cars would have both two castings and structural packs, since those are big cost savings at scale.

I believe that the Model Y with 2170 Cells only have a rear casting, but I might be wrong (?).

So I was assuming that the new Highland Model 3 will follow the same suit, such as :

- a Model 3 AWD 4680 (front and rear casting, and structural pack),​
- a Model 3 AWD 2170 LR (?), and​
- a Model 3 P 2170 (with only rear casting).​
And also I guess:
- a Model 3 RWD LFP (with only rear casting).​

Will it make sense to have four Model 3 versions?

Last edited:
It's unimaginable that Tesla would switch the 3 to 4680's when they are so desperately behind schedule getting those cells into the Y, CyberTruck, S, and X (which were supposed to have them with the 2021 refresh). And those cells aren't exactly interchangeable with other types due to the increased 80mm height. Recall that the Y chassis was completely redesigned to omit the floor pan for 4680 models. That'd be a lot of work to invest in a 6-year old Model 3 chassis.

IMO 4680 will only be for the american market. Americans seem to be the only ones interested in that technology.

IMO Tesla in other markets will likely go with Lithium phosphate in other configurations as supplied by their battery suppliers. CATL in China has a huge factory being finished off, and isn't interested in 4680 and is already shipping batteries in superior packaging. Tesla is moving away from battery modules, from NMC batteries, 4680 IMO has passed, the technology has moved on.

Raises the question is there room for a hatch back car below a model 3 and the model 3 and the model y.

If you make an aerodynamic car with a hatchback and four doors, you will end up at basically the model 3. If you are making a city car with just two doors that is different, but that is a market with basically no profits, and something the Chinese are all over. Tesla would have a 5-10 year disadvantage in that market.

Model 3 should have a hatch opening. There is no real reason not to.

The Model Y is a large car in many markets. It doesn't have to be the best selling tesla always. Having the model 3 hatch would make it much more practical.

Highland is a face lift on what is now a nearly 7 year old car. It is new bumpers and interior refresh on an older model. It will only keep them competitive for 1-2 years. Americans and Europeans don't really understand the level of competition that is happening in side the Chinese market. BYD has some very good products.

They will have to make a more significant investment in the model 3. They will likely make it a bit longer and have a hatch. This then helps open up room for a smaller car.

IMO 4680 will only be for the american market. Americans seem to be the only ones interested in that technology.

IMO Tesla in other markets will likely go with Lithium phosphate in other configurations as supplied by their battery suppliers. CATL in China has a huge factory being finished off, and isn't interested in 4680 and is already shipping batteries in superior packaging. Tesla is moving away from battery modules, from NMC batteries, 4680 IMO has passed, the technology has moved on.

Raises the question is there room for a hatch back car below a model 3 and the model 3 and the model y.

If you make an aerodynamic car with a hatchback and four doors, you will end up at basically the model 3. If you are making a city car with just two doors that is different, but that is a market with basically no profits, and something the Chinese are all over. Tesla would have a 5-10 year disadvantage in that market.

Model 3 should have a hatch opening. There is no real reason not to.

The Model Y is a large car in many markets. It doesn't have to be the best selling tesla always. Having the model 3 hatch would make it much more practical.

Highland is a face lift on what is now a nearly 7 year old car. It is new bumpers and interior refresh on an older model. It will only keep them competitive for 1-2 years. Americans and Europeans don't really understand the level of competition that is happening in side the Chinese market. BYD has some very good products.

They will have to make a more significant investment in the model 3. They will likely make it a bit longer and have a hatch. This then helps open up room for a smaller car.
Please explain to us how a superficial 'facelift' on the Model 3 is going to provide a meaningful test ramp for the $25,000 and radically simplified Tesla Model 2? It makes no sense that this is a facelift as opposed to a trial run on a whole lot of technological simplifications and cost reductions. Although people think of design as technological goals first and then manufacturing second, Tesla has shown that their design is informed by the logic of simplified manufacturing. The notion that this is just a facelift of the Model 3 flies in the face of all of that.

Reactions: pdx_m3s
If you think there will be drastic changes, I whish Tesla add a Hatch to the Model 3 !!!

But this will require reinforcing the whole roof area to compensate the suppression
of the speaker shelf providing a lot of rigidity between the two wheel houses.
Wait a year , the $25K is probably what you are looking for.

Putting a hatch on the 3 is a new car with new car certificationx.

Wait a year , the $25K is probably what you are looking for.

Putting a hatch on the 3 is a new car with new car certificationx.

But the $25k might be a two doors? (something I will never get, it's so unpractical)

Otherwise if the $25k is a four doors, may be one foot shorter than a Model 3,
I wonder what would be the real market for a Model 3 Sedan, especially in Europe or Asia.
Because people will choose between the $25k and the Model Y.

But the $25k might be a two doors? (something I will never get, it's so unpractical)

Otherwise if the $25k is a four doors, may be one foot shorter than a Model 3,
I wonder what would be the real market for a Model 3 Sedan, especially in Europe or Asia.
Because people will choose between the $25k and the Model Y.
BMW has the 1-series and the 3-series, Tesla can have the Model 2 and Model 3. There will be plenty of demand for both.

Reactions: Lindenwood and ss71