Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reuters: "Tesla readies revamped Model 3 with project 'Highland' -sources" [projected 3rd quarter 2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sure the bigger the rim, the better looking the car... NOT! I'll stick to my 18's...

View attachment 934526
Those are a little over the top! But you's defiantly not mistake your Tesla in the parking lot for another -:)

18" are best to "save the rim", 19" best for overall performance - 20" look great, but the super low profile tires are hard on non-smooth roads and potholes are a whole other story. And the cost for 20" super low profile high quality tires are EXPENSIVE.

The "performance" model should have the smallest diameter wheel that clears the brakes. If they want to rename it the "luxury show" or "garage queen" model, then have it. Just my opinion, sorry for re-directing the conversation.
Why the smallest diameter wheel that clear the brakes? That would be a 18". Wider tires (245 or 255) will help with traction, both straight line and in the corners.

reddit

https://i.redd.it/refresh-model-3-s...pg?s=0c901b19ee3acb0a54923a16c792d209d465d519
a7s4e5qx2bza1.jpg

Reactions: George75 and ss71
When I look at this photo, there simply isn’t enough space on the wheel for touch buttons which means… stalks stay!! 😁
Yeah, certainly looks like it. Good news

Steering wheel looks more premium, never loved the appearance of the current one, it’s fine, but something about the airbag looks rubbery.

It appears there might be a fair few changes looking at what is covered up.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
Yeah, certainly looks like it. Good news

There's bad news in the full video, though. This photo is a still from this video:

Watch closely. Right after the 3:20 mark, you can see the driver switch gear to reverse. He moves his hand to engage the gear stalk by habit, realizes that there's nothing and his hand grabbed just air, moves his hand to the touchscreen instead, swipes down on its left side and then finally backs out of the spot.

This car has Model S-style gear selector. That suggests no stalks.

There's bad news in the full video, though. This photo is a still from this video:

Watch closely. Right after the 3:20 mark, you can see the driver switch gear to reverse. He moves his hand to engage the gear stalk by habit, realizes that there's nothing and his hand grabbed just air, moves his hand to the touchscreen instead, swipes down on its left side and then finally backs out of the spot.

This car has Model S-style gear selector. That suggests no stalks.

Errrggg, that’s horrible news, looks like I might be keeping my current car until they come to their senses like with the yoke. This probably means it does have the stupid haptic buttons too.

Errrggg, that’s horrible news, looks like I might be keeping my current car until they come to their senses like with the yoke. This probably means it does have the stupid haptic buttons too.
F$(%ing stupid to replace the drive stalk. How do you drive when the touchscreen is not responsive? Or more importantly, if the touchscreen takes a dive when driving, HOW DO YOU PUT IT IN PARK?! Hello?! McFly!?

It doesn't look like there is room for the stupid touch-buttons on the wheel with the enlarged airbag. So maybe it's only half an abomination.

and range cutting if they keep using the batteries they are putting in the just re-released Model 3 AWD 😅
May not be range cutting with LFP batteries or 4680 batteries. The 1st can be charged to 100% daily, the latter not. Bet there is room and unrealized capacity and efficiency to release that will make "real world" driving range a lot better.

Cost cutting does not have to be a bad thing - don't correlate that with performance or reliability. Look at it as efficiency and dialing in the production costs of every component.

Not everyone will like or agree with the new Model 3 upgrades. but to me they are essential to keep the pipeline flowing for new customers and existing ones with 2-5 year old models.

Reactions: Olle and ss71
May not be range cutting with LFP batteries or 4680 batteries. The 1st can be charged to 100% daily, the latter not. Bet there is room and unrealized capacity and efficiency to release that will make "real world" driving range a lot better.

Cost cutting does not have to be a bad thing - don't correlate that with performance or reliability. Look at it as efficiency and dialing in the production costs of every component.

Not everyone will like or agree with the new Model 3 upgrades. but to me they are essential to keep the pipeline flowing for new customers and existing ones with 2-5 year old models.
Going stalkless and shifting gears on touchscreen is cost cutting while making user experience more miserable.

LFP batteries can be charged to 100% but still struggle in very cold temps and on the road you ain’t charging to 100% or even 90% to begin with as it takes a long time for the final 10-20%. They are also heavier and less energy dense making the vehicle slightly more sluggish. Again… they are cheap and that;s great but don’t sell it as a benefit for the user…

Going stalkless and shifting gears on touchscreen is cost cutting while making user experience more miserable.

LFP batteries can be charged to 100% but still struggle in very cold temps and on the road you ain’t charging to 100% or even 90% to begin with as it takes a long time for the final 10-20%. They are also heavier and less energy dense making the vehicle slightly more sluggish. Again… they are cheap and that;s great but don’t sell it as a benefit for the user…
There is a HUGE benefit. LFP batteries are not prone to fires at all. They have reserve power that can unlocked - as you are not filling it up to 100% - even when the screen says 100%. I'd buy a new Tesla with LFP in the Performance version even if it was a little slower 0-60!

Other benefits:
  • cobalt-free iron-phosphate
  • Longer Lifespan. LFPs have a longer lifespan than any other battery. ...
  • Improved Safety. ...
  • Fast Charging. ...
  • Wider Operating Temperature Range. ...
  • High Energy Density. ...
  • Eco-Friendly. ...
  • Low-Maintenance. ...
  • Low Self-Discharge Rate.
Most usage and charging is local - so you can charge to 100% daily!

Reactions: tjkenny15
There is a HUGE benefit. LFP batteries are not prone to fires at all. They have reserve power that can unlocked - as you are not filling it up to 100% - even when the screen says 100%. I'd buy a new Tesla with LFP in the Performance version even if it was a little slower 0-60!

Other benefits:
  • Improved Safety. ...
  • Fast Charging. ...
  • Eco-Friendly. ...
  • Low-Maintenance. ...
Thanks but I’ll keep my nickel-based battery. The 100% daily charge gimmick is of no benefit to most.

I was really hoping they had learned their lesson with the S/X about the stalks being far better. If they actually being this thing to market without stalks they are going to cut demand, hard. I sure will never buy one, or ever recommend one to a friend. Just sad. Hopefully they still come to their senses before production.

Other benefits:
  • Improved Safety. ...
  • Fast Charging. ...
  • Eco-Friendly. ...
  • Low-Maintenance. ...
Some of your "Other benefits" are simply not true:
  • Longer Lifespan: This has not been proven out yet in the real world results.
  • Fast Charging: It's already known they don't charge as fast Nickel based batteries, Especially so in cold temperatures.
  • Wider Operating Temperature Range: Again they do not charge as well in cold temps
  • Higher Energy Density: Nickel based batteries have a higher energy density