Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reuters: "Tesla readies revamped Model 3 with project 'Highland' -sources" [projected 3rd quarter 2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some of your "Other benefits" are simply not true:
  • Longer Lifespan: This has not been proven out yet in the real world results.
  • Fast Charging: It's already known they don't charge as fast Nickel based batteries, Especially so in cold temperatures.
  • Wider Operating Temperature Range: Again they do not charge as well in cold temps
  • Higher Energy Density: Nickel based batteries have a higher energy density
I guess we can agree to disagree. Those benefits were noted by several highly reliable EV publications and tests. If Tesla is moving to utilizing them in more vehicles - I lean on their expertise there are good reasons why.

• Disagree
Reactions: Olle
There is a HUGE benefit. LFP batteries are not prone to fires at all. They have reserve power that can unlocked - as you are not filling it up to 100% - even when the screen says 100%. I'd buy a new Tesla with LFP in the Performance version even if it was a little slower 0-60!

Other benefits:
  • cobalt-free iron-phosphate (benefit to Tesla)
  • Longer Lifespan. LFPs have a longer lifespan than any other battery. ...
  • Improved Safety. ... (I'm not aware of current Tesla's going up in flames left and right and have been told for years that Tesla's are safe; so what is it?)
  • Fast Charging. ... (not true, not as fast as Li-ion)
  • Wider Operating Temperature Range. ... (not true, that's why Tesla even calls out extreme cold weather as not so bueno for LFP)
  • High Energy Density. ... (not as high as Li-ion)
  • Eco-Friendly. ...
  • Low-Maintenance. ... (and current batteries are high maintenance? lol)
  • Low Self-Discharge Rate.
Most usage and charging is local - so you can charge to 100% daily! (except for when it isn't and you are punished by low SC speeds in cold weather)
again... LFPs are cheaper and don't need $$$ cobalt ... but that's a benefit to Tesla. Not me. Unless they start offering a Model 3 AWD LR for under $44k

Reactions: Olle
again... LFPs are cheaper and don't need $$$ cobalt ... but that's a benefit to Tesla. Not me. Unless they start offering a Model 3 AWD LR for under $44k
The likely greater longevity and better fire safety if damaged are benefits to the user.

Different users have different priorities, of course. Greater longevity may not be a concern to those users who change cars every few years.

I was really hoping they had learned their lesson with the S/X about the stalks being far better. If they actually being this thing to market without stalks they are going to cut demand, hard. I sure will never buy one, or ever recommend one to a friend. Just sad. Hopefully they still come to their senses before production.
Will be interesting to see what people's preferences turn out to be. I strongly prefer the buttons over stalks. Have you driven a button Tesla?

Reactions: NCDAG's M3P
Right after the 3:20 mark, you can see the driver switch gear to reverse. He moves his hand to engage the gear stalk by habit, realizes that there's nothing and his hand grabbed just air, moves his hand to the touchscreen instead, swipes down on its left side and then finally backs out of the spot.

Wow. I mean it's kinda funny when they make a viral video of Franz breaking the unbreakable CyberTruck windows or a seemingly endless montage of rocket explosions. But to show the world's #1 stalkless driving expert making a bumbling fool of himself as he struggles to get the car in gear? It simply demonstrates how shameless Twitter's management is.

1683920889273.png

Reactions: innos and Zoltrix77
The likely greater longevity and better fire safety if damaged are benefits to the user.

Different users have different priorities, of course. Greater longevity may not be a concern to those users who change cars every few years.
Tesla warranties the battery on my Model 3 AWD for 8 years or 120k miles. so yeah... I'm super concerned about battery longevity .... lol

better fire safety is also such a terrific selling point after being told for a decade+ that the li-ion batteries in Tesla's are super safe and no fire issue.... so what is it? if I crash hard enough that the battery gets damaged... the car is a write-off anyway

Will be interesting to see what people's preferences turn out to be. I strongly prefer the buttons over stalks. Have you driven a button Tesla?
hitting the right turn signal button when going through a round-about / making a steep turn seems like fun.... stalks are a lot cleaner and don't move with the wheel. and yes ... you are supposed to signal when you exit a roundabout.

hitting the right turn signal button when going through a round-about / making a steep turn seems like fun.... stalks are a lot cleaner and don't move with the wheel. and yes ... you are supposed to signal when you exit a roundabout.
I was first afraid of that too but after driving it for a while I got used to and feel its easier than stalks, even upside down.

Reactions: mswlogo
Tesla warranties the battery on my Model 3 AWD for 8 years or 120k miles. so yeah... I'm super concerned about battery longevity .... lol

better fire safety is also such a terrific selling point after being told for a decade+ that the li-ion batteries in Tesla's are super safe and no fire issue.... so what is it? if I crash hard enough that the battery gets damaged... the car is a write-off anyway
Tesla NCA batteries include considerable fire-resistance features, but a few have caught fire with no apparent crash (though it is possible that an object striking the bottom of the battery and denting it in could have occurred without the driver realizing that it was a serious strike).

In terms of longevity, some people keep their cars for more than 8 years or 120k miles. They might also prefer if, within the warranty period, degradation is less.

Reactions: Evpowerdan
total gimmick. agree. why would i charge to 100% at home?

Now on the road for a long stretch i might have to charge to close to 100% at an SC and that's where LFP are slower to top off than Li-ion... especially in cold weather
Not a gimmick. Why would you NOT charge to a 100% at home if it had not negative effects on the batter? It doesn’t get that cold in Texas, but super hot for months long. Regardless of tech for batteries - none like cold weather - that’s why they are heated to keep them at an ideal state of charge. Less cobalt is a good thing for the environment.

• Disagree
Reactions: pdx_m3s
Nah, I welcome the changes, similar to when the model 3 first came out. Just a big screen to do everything, quite the opposite of a button layout of everyone else.

Reactions: NCDAG's M3P
you signal before you initiate the turns. not during the turns which is dangerous to you and others.

Nah, I welcome the changes, similar to when the model 3 first came out. Just a big screen to do everything, quite the opposite of a button layout of everyone else.

I like the model 3 but still kind of missing the Audi I had before with a HUD and other functioning features. If cost of a simplicity (cost reduction?) is functionality like with USS, like with camera based rain sensor, like with ACC, then I as a customer don’t really appreciate it.

It seems like a lot of Tesla owners are early adopters and then things like Yoke and buttons instead of stalk may seem like a nice way of implementation but personally I kind of doubt it is. Will see..

Reactions: Zoltrix77