Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reuters: "Tesla readies revamped Model 3 with project 'Highland' -sources" [projected 3rd quarter 2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
LFP is a good example of how good Tesla and Elon are at marketing. Nickel is better on nearly every metric that interfaces with the user experience and results in a lighter, better performing vehicle, and yet they have convinced many LFP is superior.
Not every user values the same aspects of the user experience the same as you do.

LFP better fire safety and likely greater longevity is of value to some users, even though it may not be of value to you.

LFP is cheaper and safer, both important metrics for “the user experience “. It’s also more scalable which further reduces costs and increases selection for the consumer. Furthermore, LFP does less harm to the environment, geopolitics, and humanity - more metrics that improve the user experience.
LFP is much lower energy density. You end up with much smaller battery.

LFP is a good example of how good Tesla and Elon are at marketing. Nickel is better on nearly every metric that interfaces with the user experience and results in a lighter, better performing vehicle, and yet they have convinced many LFP is superior.
LFP is cheaper, more durable and safer. It's also uses extremely abundant and cheap iron, rather than cobalt, nickel and aluminum.
But you get less range, and less power, so slower fast charging, and less performance.

It's trade-off, but not to a short range, slow charging, slug.

Not every user values the same aspects of the user experience the same as you do.

LFP better fire safety and likely greater longevity is of value to some users, even though it may not be of value to you.
I agree that it is extremely important.....a battery fire might be only one in a million but for a car intended to be your mass market entry level...that could be a lot of cars. The reduced pollution and use of exotic materials is also significant at scale

Two weeks?

Makes perfect sense. They will do a trail run in Shanghi for x amount of cars, which will probably take month. After that July 1 - sept 1 they would need to build enough M3 to export to Europe and arrive (its 26-31 days depending on north or south EU + ground transport) end of sept, early oct.

Tesla rejects model 3 new model claims.

China is the most important market at this point for the model 3. Sorry guys. The new model 3 is all about China where things are very competitive.

I imagine Tesla will hold off with the facelift until its ready. Sept sounds about right. At which point a new cheaper Model 3 appears. If it sells well the model 3 may disappear from sale in the EU and Asia until they satisfy Chinese demand. China is important because its where Tesla's successful competitors are. Every car Tesla sells in China is one the Chinese brands don't sell. EU will be lucky to get any new model 3 highlanders before DEC..

Personally, I am very happy with my 2023 LR with USS and NMC battery/range.

LFP batteries are getting better, but I don't want any less range than I have currently.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3

China is the most important market at this point for the model 3. Sorry guys. The new model 3 is all about China where things are very competitive.

I imagine Tesla will hold off with the facelift until its ready. Sept sounds about right. At which point a new cheaper Model 3 appears. If it sells well the model 3 may disappear from sale in the EU and Asia until they satisfy Chinese demand. China is important because its where Tesla's successful competitors are. Every car Tesla sells in China is one the Chinese brands don't sell. EU will be lucky to get any new model 3 highlanders before DEC..

LFP batteries are getting better, but I don't want any less range than I have currently.

The revised M3LR battery isn't LFP - it's just LG's cells vs the slightly better Panasonic ones.

LFP gives a ~20% to 30% range hit, and is used in SR models.

100% agreed. and additionally: if Tesla feels like cutting costs and putting LFP into cars... then pass those savings on to the consumer. I see a lot of stuff cut from the Model 3 ... yet the AWD LR still costs $47k...

If they are using the front and rear castings on the 3 it has to be 4680s. That would be the ultimate in reducing costs since that was the stated plan for Highland.

I don't think they have 4680 cell capacity right now, since they need them for the cyber truck and are already using them in some model Ys.

This really feels like alternate-cheaper-2170-cell-provider to get costs down on the 3 in the short term

Reactions: Dayreg
If they are using the front and rear castings on the 3 it has to be 4680s. That would be the ultimate in reducing costs since that was the stated plan for Highland.
The Model Y had the one piece rear casting before any versions got 4680 cells. Given that Munro noticed how unnecessarily complex and expensive the Model 3 rear end likely was to build with something like 70 parts, that seems like an obvious place to reduce cost without any negatives to the user, regardless of what battery goes into the Model 3 with a one piece rear casting.

Reactions: ZenRockGarden
The Model Y had the one piece rear casting before any versions got 4680 cells. Given that Munro noticed how unnecessarily complex and expensive the Model 3 rear end likely was to build with something like 70 parts, that seems like an obvious place to reduce cost without any negatives to the user, regardless of what battery goes into the Model 3 with a one piece rear casting.
Better idea is to just redesign the Model 3 BIW so that it can use the Model Y rear casting. They are almost identical cars underneath.