Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reuters: "Tesla readies revamped Model 3 with project 'Highland' -sources" [projected 3rd quarter 2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Although similar and using many of the same components, I don't think the back half of the 3 and the Y are in any way interchangeable.
Why not? The rear casting isn’t “the back half” of the car. The Model 3 equivalent of that area is nearly identical in overall shape.

Front casting would be a non-starter, though.

tesla-casting-manufacturing-model-3-model-y-scaled.jpg

If they are different then I think that was a strange decision....the idea of the castings was to simplify manufacturing...if they were interchangeable on the same platform (Y and 3) then it would have simplified it more and the economy of scale would be greater

Reactions: Whatstreet
LFP is a good example of how good Tesla and Elon are at marketing. Nickel is better on nearly every metric that interfaces with the user experience and results in a lighter, better performing vehicle, and yet they have convinced many LFP is superior.
It's all tradeoffs. If your mission, as Tesla's is, to "accelerate the transition to sustainable energy and transportation," LFP is superior - not in electrodynamics, but in materials 'geopolitical footprint,' in cost, and therefore in addressable market (most important in Tesla's mind), and these are thus enough to more than balance the electrodynamic and energy density issues. You can't optimize for everything all at once, although people underestimate how much Tesla tries to do just that.

Reactions: Bouba
Doesn’t matter. One has to start the signal before s/he actually starts turning the steering wheel, not during or after.
Does matter. Signaling before entering a tight rotary when you intend to stay on and exit off the 3rd of 4 exits will confuse a lot of people. Better to start signaling while in the rotary going counter-clockwise (wheel turned) right after the 2nd exit passes and before the 3rd exit arrives so it's clear to others which exit you intend to take (i.e., not the 1st or 2nd). There might not be such tight rotaries in Dallas?

It's all tradeoffs. If your mission, as Tesla's is, to "accelerate the transition to sustainable energy and transportation," LFP is superior - not in electrodynamics, but in materials 'geopolitical footprint,' in cost, and therefore in addressable market (most important in Tesla's mind), and these are thus enough to more than balance the electrodynamic and energy density issues. You can't optimize for everything all at once, although people underestimate how much Tesla tries to do just that.
In that context, yes I agree with you. But from the pure product experience standpoint, it’s hard to make the case that LFP is better. Most people aren’t considering geopolitical chess when deciding which car to get. They just want one that looks good and provides for a good user experience .

In that context, yes I agree with you. But from the pure product experience standpoint, it’s hard to make the case that LFP is better. Most people aren’t considering geopolitical chess when deciding which car to get. They just want one that looks good and provides for a good user experience .

That seems a bit detached. If you know that what you're getting is a version of blood diamonds, shouldn't that make you uncomfortable? Or is it all just utilitarianism? Even from a purely utilitarian standpoint, sourcing material from a conflict Zone full of Human Rights abuses suggests that at best the supply is unreliable. Is that a good business practice? I doubt it. Is it unethical or at least ethically problematic? If you answer that with the notion that you don't care about those things that's not a good look either. These considerations of course are at the heart of why everyone is trying to develop low to no Cobalt chemistries. Or perhaps you have another sense of why everyone is moving away from that?

Last edited:
That seems a bit detached. If you know that what you're getting is a version of blood diamonds, shouldn't that make you uncomfortable? Or is it all just utilitarianism? Even from a purely utilitarian standpoint, sourcing material from a conflict Zone full of Human Rights abuses suggests that at best the supply is unreliable. Is that a good business practice? I doubt it. Is it unethical or at least ethically problematic? If you answer that with the notion that you don't care about those things that's not a good look either. These considerations of course are at the heart of why everyone is trying to develop low to no Cobalt chemistries. Or perhaps you have another sense of why everyone is moving away from that?
Tesla are now going one better and auditing resources such as cobalt to see if they are the products of human rights abuses....so it might be an indication that LFP are the future

Reactions: DrGriz
My SA today told me the new LR AWD on the website are LFP batteries and the range might be higher than 325 but will be less than the 358 it used to be. Still awaiting EPA testing. He also wouldn't deny or confirm whether these are the Highland models.

My SA today told me the new LR AWD on the website are LFP batteries and the range might be higher than 325 but will be less than the 358 it used to be. Still awaiting EPA testing. He also wouldn't deny or confirm whether these are the Highland models.
sounds like a typical SA answer... lol ...

i would be awfully surprised if Tesla can get 325 miles EPA in a dual motor vehicle out of LFP (...) the extra weight and battery size needed wouldn't be trivial.

sounds like a typical SA answer... lol ...

i would be awfully surprised if Tesla can get 325 miles EPA in a dual motor vehicle out of LFP (...) the extra weight and battery size needed wouldn't be trivial.

It may be LMFP or some other L-something-P that has higher energy storage density than LFP but avoids expensive cobalt and/or nickel.

Reactions: dfwatt