Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reuters: "Tesla workers shared sensitive images recorded by customer cars"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Transformer

Do the math. Save the world. — Mark Leon
Dec 26, 2019
Silicon Valley
I guess those of use that covered up the internal camera were not that 'crazy' after all.
I don't think you get it... they're talking about images captured from ALL cameras. Not just the inside camera. They're talking about people "doing laundry and all sorts of intimate things" which leads me to believe this was taken from cars inside of garages or non-public places that people felt safe to do those types of things.

I think most owners would assume a certain degree of privacy in places like their own garage as it pertains to cameras on a car that shouldn't even be active, assuming the owner has set the sentry mode to be off when at home for instance. This is not a good look for Tesla if it's true.

Reactions: bmah
Indeed, the article says some of that happened from labeling garage video to help train the car to back out of a garage [presumably they meant summon rather than autopilot], and other risks arise when a car is parked in a sensitive place.

Here's another article about human labeling of video, in this case from beta-test Roombas:

iRobot's privacy policy exempts the company from applicable privacy laws but doesn't say how the product & the training process operate, the impossibility of controlling where sensitive people or objects are at all times, or how things might go wrong. Not all testers even read, understand, and remember the privacy policy.

Tesla seems to consider all customers as beta testers.

I don't think you get it... they're talking about images captured from ALL cameras. Not just the inside camera. They're talking about people "doing laundry and all sorts of intimate things" which leads me to believe this was taken from cars inside of garages or non-public places that people felt safe to do those types of things.

I think most owners would assume a certain degree of privacy in places like their own garage as it pertains to cameras on a car that shouldn't even be active, assuming the owner has set the sentry mode to be off when at home for instance. This is not a good look for Tesla if it's true.
Oh, I get that. It's a complete privacy disaster if true for both the inside and outside cameras. But I can't say it is surprising for Tesla to have this happen (or any other tech company these days).

Seems only exterior cameras from the descriptions in the article. In cabin camera was only fairly recently turned on.

Not a bad look for Tesla. 🙄 It’s a bad look for the individuals who didn’t respect people’s privacy, who made memes, shared etc…. Especially those who admitted according to the article that they didn’t think they did anything wrong.

Additionally, please note that ALL people who contributed with information to the article are ALL EX-employees. While we don’t know why they are ex-employees, perhaps some were fired because they behaved badly as described in the article. In which case, it’s a good look on Tesla. Let’s put the responsibility in the right place. K?

Seems only exterior cameras from the descriptions in the article. In cabin camera was only fairly recently turned on.

Not a bad look for Tesla. 🙄 It’s a bad look for the individuals who didn’t respect people’s privacy, who made memes, shared etc…. Especially those who admitted according to the article that they didn’t think they did anything wrong.

Additionally, please note that ALL people who contributed with information to the article are ALL EX-employees. While we don’t know why they are ex-employees, perhaps some were fired because they behaved badly as described in the article. In which case, it’s a good look on Tesla. Let’s put the responsibility in the right place. K?
So we should fault Subaru? Tesla chose these employees and put them in the position to be able to do what they did. Tesla is 100% at fault as they are responsible for the actions of their employees.

I mean it was kind of obvious this was going to happen. Any company that has a camera or a mic in your private space - I have news for you - someone is watching or listening. People are so naive these days.
So I saw the news and I was like - exactly zero surprise.

And yes - I cover the inside camera in the car - exactly because I was sure this was going to happen. Then of course when I was trying to turn on FSD - it would complain about that, so I'd open the camera cover to use FSD then close it again. One of the reasons I stopped using FSD altogether - apart from being useless - is that now the autopilot-on-highway was screaming at me that my camera is covered. I'd rather just turn FSD off and not have to deal with that.

As for the outside cameras - I care a lot less. When I'm near my car - even in the garage - I don't consider that super private. But inside the car - while driving or stopped - that's something people shouldn't be watching.

Not a bad look for Tesla. 🙄 It’s a bad look for the individuals who didn’t respect people’s privacy, who made memes, shared etc….

Tesla (or any other automaker) collecting private images of owners residences is NOT something anyone would want to showcase in public. EVER.
On the other hand, I've said it before and I'll say it again, owning Tesla is fundamentally incompatible with personal privacy. Of any kind.
If an owner is OK with that tradeoff - then it's all good.
If not, well, you've been warned.

it’s a good look on Tesla. Let’s put the responsibility in the right place. K?
1681769603144.png

Tesla FSD for all its cool progress and novelty, it is today of course mostly a toy/demo that does not at all reduce the fatigue of driving in the same way that classic AP has on higways for years. Similarly, I rarely use it because it drives so unpredictably, irrationally, slowly, like a drunkard with no lane-placement care in the world, etc.

Yet despite this, for me to even have the luxury of turning it on when I want to, I have to give Elon permission to watch me 24/7 in my car and garage basically. No opt-out, no preference to limit data gathering to accidents/collisions only, etc.

Given privacy implications of Elon and his acolytes as revealed in by real world abuse, I have completely disabled all of these features in my car: Special Report: Tesla workers shared sensitive images recorded by customer cars (because completely disabling these toy features is the only way to re-enable any semblance of privacy in my own home and car again)

And to be clear, having no VIN associations does not make it even 0.00001% less invasive or violating of my privacy. It's completely unacceptable to have an eyeball in my car recording me 24/7 and sending clips back home to Papa Musk and Sauron Tesla, period.

I'm curious what are other people's thoughts on the in-cabin recording, data sharing, attentiveness training, etc. that we are all forced to participate in? To me, this seems like a class-action lawsuit simply waiting to be filed and an at-scale heist of unfathomable amounts of PII and personal data (even sans VIN). It's total nonsense that I'm unable to use the functionality I paid for without giving away all privacy; we're expected to just be unpaid data generators for them, with our faces, our children's faces, diaper changes, home interiors and entire garages and basements, and more. Absolutely absurd price to pay to have my car waddle around within a lane like someone who just left the pub at 2am.

Well if those clips get out, which don't they all eventually. It would be a very bad look for Tesla and myself. I clean my car in a thong in the summertime. Garage gets really hot. Now I am going to have to go with board shorts.

Seriously GM has it so you can clap and drive. Such a stupid commercial in reality. Did they have to take video clips of everyone for that or did they just do it via a couple engineers with different shaped heads? Does Tesla really need all the customers heads and inside cabins for data, can't they take employee car data for enough sampling for interior data?