Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Revamped Tesla Showrooms for the Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@bonnie:

I think that not having demos in the showrooms until 2016 would be a tactical mistake and would cause many low reservation # holders to defer delivery until we can see/drive the car. I, for one, will not commit until I see the car in person.

Surely. In 2016.

Mmmmmm, smoked salmon....

Its not over yet. :)

@bonnie:

I think that not having demos in the showrooms until 2016 would be a tactical mistake and would cause many low reservation # holders to defer delivery until we can see/drive the car. I, for one, will not commit until I see the car in person.
While now owning a Model S and been salivating for the X for over 3 years, I'm surely going to do it unseen, but I agree with you. No reason to hold off having them available if they are going to pump them out as quick as they say they will.

@bonnie:

I'm absolutely sure they'll do what they did with the S - hold many drive events around the country for reservation holders, so people can see the X in person. Realistically, only the low # signature reservations will be reserving without the ability to test drive, if they choose. Remember, you can always defer your reservation until you get that chance.

I'd be willing to bet that they will have plenty of people willing to finalize their reservation without a test drive. I know of a few :). And the drive events serve a dual purpose - allow a large number of reservation holders to see the car in person AND generate a bunch of publicity simultaneously.

Remember, Tesla is going to be pushing for maximizing deliveries in 2015. I would be surprised if more than 35 cars were made for drive event demo purposes. The rest will be delivered to paying customers.

While that's possible, the Cayenne ended up being Porsche's volume vehicle because it wasn't a 2 seater sports car and was priced in the realm of other performance SUVs. Way more people want an SUV than a 911 or Boxster. IMO, Tesla doesn't have that problem with Model S. I agree though, that Model X will sell well.

You are of course right that Cayenne was a more major departure to Porsche. Also, Model X as an EV and with odd doors is not as mainstream as Cayenne.

But I think my question really is, will Model X become the main seller and receive more than a roughly 50/50 split over the next year or so - and thus a lion share of Tesla's attention. (At least until Model 3 hits of course.)

Model S as a very large and expensive sedan/hatch is in my eyes, even from a Euro perspective, more niche that Model X could be - and of course I'd expect the U.S. perspective difference to be even more pronounced.

But sure, it is also possible X will merely become a Q7 to S's A6 - in that case I'd view them more equal. It really depends on whether or not Tesla and the markets view Model S as a 5 Series/A6 (or even GT/A7), or as a more niche A8/Panamera, and whether or not Model X is seen as something more mainstream. So far people interested in a great EV have not had that choice so we don't really know what the preference will be once there is choice.

gizmoboy: I'm sure, agreed.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, you summon the specter of Eds so often, are you sure you don't see him in your shaving mirror every morning? ;-)

When it comes to expressing views on many things, you know my dislike for explicit statements: Usually with Model X pre-release talk all we have are uncertainties and likelihoods at best. But in this case I am 100% sure Eds is not me. :)

You do realize Eds became as notable merely through the denial and subsequent hiding he/she received. The Streisand effect in the microcosm of the Model X subforum. Eds ignored or briefly but with an open mind discussed would have quickly passed to history.

Last edited:
I'm absolutely sure they'll do what they did with the S - hold many drive events around the country for reservation holders, so people can see the X in person. Realistically, only the low # signature reservations will be reserving without the ability to test drive, if they choose. Remember, you can always defer your reservation until you get that chance.

I'd be willing to bet that they will have plenty of people willing to finalize their reservation without a test drive. I know of a few :). And the drive events serve a dual purpose - allow a large number of reservation holders to see the car in person AND generate a bunch of publicity simultaneously.

Remember, Tesla is going to be pushing for maximizing deliveries in 2015. I would be surprised if more than 35 cars were made for drive event demo purposes. The rest will be delivered to paying customers.
So if they are not in showrooms and only have 35 cars to demo, where will I have to go to see one.

So if they are not in showrooms and only have 35 cars to demo, where will I have to go to see one.

Just like with the S, I'm sure they'll have a schedule of drive events around the country posted on their website. Pure speculation, of course. :)

- - - Updated - - -

... The Streisand effect in the microcosm of the Model X subforum.

I wonder how many people are aware here that the phrase 'the Streisand effect' is the result of a failed lawsuit brought against the Model X Sig #1 reservation holder.

I would be perfectly happy with a drive event. Or, I live in NJ, so Bonnie, if you want to bring your Sig#2 here on your cross country jaunt, I'd be happy to take you out to dinner. I also proposed a trip to my wife to see relatives in SF with a factory tour and possibly test drive at the factory as an option. So. lots of alternatives. I didn't mean to sound like a downer as I am really psyched since I reserved over 2 years ago (R#3747).

I know what they mean, but come on, it's not like Audi and BMW don't also make baseball caps and mugs and what-not...

Exactly. There is a ton of Mercedes branded (with the star and everything) merchandise of all types. Tesla doesn't have a corner on the market for "lifestyle" branding. It's a good way to get name recognition and also make additional money. Maybe we'll see Tesla sponsor tennis and/or golf tournaments, again to keep the name in the public eye.

I wonder how many people are aware here that the phrase 'the Streisand effect' is the result of a failed lawsuit brought against the Model X Sig #1 reservation holder.

I don't know who is #1 reservation holder, but assuming the story is public I'd surely love to hear it. :) I have basic understanding of the Streisand effect case, of course, but know no names.

- - - Updated - - -

We should rename the constant recalling of him the "AR effect".... ;-)

Come on, now.

I'm like being drunk. I only amplify what is already there anyway. ;)

And I'm fun while it lasts, but not so much the morning after. :)

- - - Updated - - -

If we could just all come to agreement and find consensus on what Eds was trying to say I think TMC would be a better place. Something like that.

Not really, more like this: If TMC community (and subsequently Tesla if they asked something removed) didn't protest Eds so much, he/she would have been forgotten much faster. Being protested made him/her stand out and fleshed out counter arguments, being removed made him/her more believable.

I don't know who is #1 reservation holder, but assuming the story is public I'd surely love to hear it. :) I have basic understanding of the Streisand effect case, of course, but know no names.

Google is your friend.

- - - Updated - - -

....being removed made him/her more believable.

Therein lies the rub. How does one assume believability of a person who demonstrates their own untrustworthiness by publicly leaking contractually confidential information?

Therein lies the rub. How does one assume believability of a person who demonstrates their own untrustworthiness by publicly leaking contractually confidential information?

Because Apple.

Every year this happens. People in the manufacturing and supply chain breach their or their company's agreement to an NDA with respect to iPhone components. And every year people on Mac Rumors forums say, "no this is unbelievable, there would never be lines on the back of the iPhone, this is wrong that is wrong, Jony Ive would never allow design element XYZ", and inevitably, an overwhelming majority of the leaks turn out to be true.

The iPhone 6 had antenna lines on the back and a protruding camera, despite insistence from people that the spy photos and leaked CAD schematics showed these very things. A breach of NDA in my experience has little to do with decreasing the actual credibility of the information presented. People get a lot of lulz from breaching an NDA and taunting the people trying to conceal these secrets.

The problem with Eds was that he mixed his negative bias towards Tesla with some actual facts. Its hard to separate the facts from his negative emotions and hence made it difficult to trust his "reporting". The Apple leaks tend to be more fact-based in my opinion.

Because Apple.

Except that this case wasn't some titillating design detail, it was all about supply politics; that suggests an agenda for whatever reason.

- - - Updated - - -

The problem with Eds was that he mixed his negative bias towards Tesla with some actual facts. Its hard to separate the facts from his negative emotions and hence made it difficult to trust his "reporting". The Apple leaks tend to be more fact-based in my opinion.

Exactly.
(You beat me to it by seconds).