Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reveal part 2 before end of this year

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Swampgator

Apr 27, 2016
Florida
During the Code conference interview yesterday Elon said the second event would happen sometime later this year.
My prediction earlier was that part 2 would take place later this year,and the configurator would open shortly after that for the early deposit holders. Looks like this is still on track.

Also in the Q &A Elon all but confirmed the Model 3 would have autonomous capability.

Exciting times! Let's hope the suppliers can step up and get this this launched in record time.

• Informative
Reactions: SureValla
Maybe I misunderstood since I'm not a native speaker, but for me it sounded like there would be a Tesla event later this year. I read between the lines that they would announce AP 2.0 for the S and X at that event and maybe something more? But I don't think it was meant to be as a Model 3 part 2.

Reactions: Zoomit
During the Code conference interview yesterday Elon said the second event would happen sometime later this year.
My prediction earlier was that part 2 would take place later this year,and the configurator would open shortly after that for the early deposit holders. Looks like this is still on track.

Also in the Q &A Elon all but confirmed the Model 3 would have autonomous capability.
I just watched the Code conference interview at Watch Elon Musk's full interview at Code 2016 and I agree with what you posted. Elon did not say it specifically, he said something to the effect that Tesla would be announcing "the obvious thing", but I think that will be that Tesla will, in the near future, release a very high level of autonomous driving using a new hardware suite and new software.

The rollout of that will likely be like it was in September 2014, where all of a sudden Tesla's start being delivered with new hardware and sometime later -- maybe much later -- software will be pushed to the cars that uses all the new hardware. It won't happen all at once, but it will be announced that it will happen.

So if the timeframe I am thinking of comes to pass, that means that by the end of the year the S and X will be produced with new AP hardware, and the 3 will go into production in late 2017 with the same AP hardware.

Will the new hardware be capable of full autonomous driving in all environments? I don't know. Maybe not. But it will be a much higher level of autonomous driving than is currently in the S and X.

Reactions: geoffreak
So if the timeframe I am thinking of comes to pass, that means that by the end of the year the S and X will be produced with new AP hardware, and the 3 will go into production in late 2017 with the same AP hardware.

Agreed. I also think the HUD will be part of next gen autopilot and will come to S and X ~9 months before the 3.

I never said configuration this year. You inferred that from my post.
What I believe is that Tesla will want to have a good idea of just what quantities of parts will be needed before their July 2017 self imposed deadline. My guess is they would like this information by May 2017. In order for them to have reviewed this data by May I predict initial configurations will open at the latest March 2017.
Tiberius is going to buy me a case of that delicious west coast beer if I am correct :)

Tesla may give the part 2 of the Model 3 reveal later this year, and that is fine. But opening the configurator - is that to allow people to place their actual orders? Or is that simply to show the currently available options, subject to change?

I don't think anyone will be able to order before next spring at the earliest. Even if you could, what if you change your mind in the next year while waiting?

Tesla may give the part 2 of the Model 3 reveal later this year, and that is fine. But opening the configurator - is that to allow people to place their actual orders? Or is that simply to show the currently available options, subject to change?

I don't think anyone will be able to order before next spring at the earliest. Even if you could, what if you change your mind in the next year while waiting?

Yeah, I would rather have nearly as much time as I can to configure my car. Even if they open up then config, I don't want to have to submit my choices until next summer.

As far as configuration timing goes, I would like to see the real (not pictures) physical options of colors, interior materials, etc. This ideally would be in the form of a few travelling M3s rotating through all service centers. If the options are guaranteed to be the same as whatever is current at that time for the MS or MX then those cars might be adequate., although seating, sound etc really need hands and eyes on.